Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Need Recommendation for mother board specs, building e-touch wall box

Started by Pinball, October 25, 2009, 10:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

I am getting a gutted NSM CD wall-box Juke that I am using for my next e-touch project.  I want to mount a computer motherboard and associated cards, sound , video, memory and what ever I need to get e-touch running on this new box, to the back inside wall of the juke.

I never built a pc and I am not sure what I will need hArdware wise tom make e-touch run great.  This is going to be our main juke in the house so I want it to be right.

Someone said that there are small form boards now..??  I don't have alot of room to work with in there, as I need to mount a power supply, the PC mpu and an amplifier. 

If anyone has done an e-touch conversion from an NSN wall mount5 Juke, I'd like your input.

Also, what are the specs I need to get for the mother board... 

XP software, how fast a processor? , how much ram?? what flavor of rams??  sdrams??  Dual processors?  what clock speed?

This is all greek to me so just give me your best recommendations for a fast board that can mak e-touch run w/ no issues.

I guess I need a board with a bunch of USB 2.0 ports, as I will need to connect mouse, keyboard, wireless adaptor, remote storage device.

I will also need to mount a large capacity hard drive as I am approaching 1000 CD's .

I can look at second hand PC shops here if they would carry the type of board I need or I could go to Comp USA.

The smaller the board the better I guess. As long as I can attach everything I need.

Thanks,

Randy

leeclark2612

A bit of advice on spacing the components...

On an nsm wallbox, there is a lot of unused space behind the button bank panel. This could be used for psu; that's what nsm use it for! You could use the cashbox for a usb panel mount to update...

Personally, i'd stay away from the small form factor motherboards; i'm just mounting a full size board and a mini atx power supply in my project.

I'm runing my test rig with a 2ghz amd sempron with 1 gig of DDR ram with an IDE 500gb drive running XP home, and it never struggles. I have an ATI Radeon with a DVI output that i'v converted to a second vga for a video screen. You'd probably be able to pick up the components cheap if you use middle of the road stuff as oppose to top end dual core stuff...hope this helps!

Woody

Pinball,

The small Form factor boards(ITX)  have come along way, there is a Zotac / Nvidia ION model available with built in power supply and 2 usb rear + 4 usb header, quad SATA, dual graphics (Nvidia G series), and dual core Atom for less than 200.00 US. I am running one of there earlier models and it runs great !
It is Very fast very quiet. Look on newegg for ITX mother boards.

Woody   

Barcrest

the intel aton/ nvidia ion is a good combo and should run freebox fine.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Pinball

Woody - I checked out New egg and found this page with the
Zotac boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Zotac+%2F+Nvidia+ION&x=13&y=41

Can you point out the model you are refering to?  Part or item #?

I don't see any that say built in power supply and I am not sure if thats good or bad anyhow. 

If the PS goes on a built in board, is it easy to replace or do you swap the board out?

I am concerned w/ heat inside the NSM wall box as well as it's effect on the power supply.

Do the small form factor boards hold the same sound cards as the regular tower pc's ?

How much memory, ram or SDRAM?  should I have to have a fast e-touch box.  That's all that this system will be running.

Thanks,

Randy 

jukejohn

ive converted a few of the nsm cases and used both atx and mini itx
that's just preference or whatever i had at the time
i would use a board which ever type with a 1.5ghz possessor and
512 mb is a nice balance but if your going to use video or fancy graphics
your memory would then be a 1gb
dont worry about heat in a nsm cab that's the last thing to worry about
theres loads of space in fact what ever you fit in this cab its still going
to look empty compared to what was in there
remove coin eject door on the side and mount a usb socket

one thing to do is to remove the bottom base and gut it of its wiring
and transformers you will see a difference in the weight
but you can still use the fuse lines and mains switch

should work out to be a nice steady project
enjoy john

Woody

Pinball,

It's this unit here:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500027&cm_re=Zotac_%2f_Nvidia_ION-_-13-500-027-_-Product. If you look at the package contents you will see a power brick for the board.

It is feature packed and with the dual atom and ION chipset it will handle audio and video very well fo a nice multimedia setup.

Woody

Woody

Pinball,

As far as the built in power supply going bad, I suppose that could happen but these boards are built as
very low power boards and shouldn't have great stresses on power. These board won't require alot of cooling because of the low power as well.

Freebox/Etouch is designed to run on older systems and won't require alot of ram but if you want to run a
skin that is graphics intensive or have high res cover art and other eye candy you should get 2gb of ram.
The board I suggested is one of the few ITX size boards that support two DDR-2c slots so it can support up to 4gb of ram. 

This board also has built in sound that is pretty good.

Woody 

eist1

I also know some of those boards can have external power supplies similar to a laptop power supply. Not sure which models have those though, but I'm sure you could do a search.

Pinball

New PC coming this week for my new NSM wall box conversion to the next e-touch system I am working on.

Here are the specs:

Zotac IONITX - A-U  board    Intel Dual-Core Atom 1.6GHz CPU
& wireless lan

Chenbro ITX 60watt case = Dimensions (WxDxH): 3 x 9.1 x 8.6 inch / 75 x 230 x 220 mm    How small is that???????????
Weight: 1.38 kg

320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive

Windows XP Pro

2 GB PC-6400 DDR2 Memory-2x1gb ddr 800

slimline cd/dvd/dvd-r/w

Should be here by Wed or Thurs this week.

Need to order a new license from Barry....

Monitor is going to have the "through the glass touch technology"

Thanks for the input on the mpu board and system requirements.

Got to get this done well before Turkey Day, about 16 people coming to dinner.

Randy

TeamTEOR

Randy, how did it go? I am thinking about a possible look into one of those atom boards.

Pinball

Here is the link to the performance problems I had. 

http://www.freeboxjukebox.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1887.0

They were all resolved by the pc builder.  He had to swap out the Atom processor.

There was a problem running e-touch on it.  Barry knows people that run e-touch on an ATOM w/ no problems, though.

My PC is very quick now.  I am satisfied, but I did not get the juke going for the dinner because of the touch screen .  I can not get any i/o to the touch screen. I will work more on this Sat & Sun. There is some mismatch somewhere between where the touchscreen is connected and where the system is looking for it.

Everyone was a bit disappointed, but we tried our best. 

Randy