News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

What makes Etouch work fast, the pc or the screen itself?

Started by mikehende, September 12, 2014, 06:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehende

The unit I bought to test this out is an older unit, it is a Via Desktop touchscreen pc which is an older unit running XP. I notice there is a lag between touch and movement on the V5 Etouch software which came with it, before I invest in a permanent setup, since I will be getting V8, I would like to know which is more important to have the software react instantly, the pc or the touchscreen please?

Barcrest

Install the V8 demo on the PC you are using and see if you notice any improvements. You can install the V8 demo to a different folder leaving your v5 install intact.

My dev machine is a dual core and it runs it fine, I have a P4 in my actual jukebox. That runs fine but i don't use the page transitions on that one.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

mikehende

My wife will purchase the v8 today sometime so I will install that on this same unit but what I am essentially asking is if you take two touchscreen pc's, one is an older one and the other is a new much more powerful pc, will the new pc make etouch react faster?

Barcrest

Quote from: mikehende on September 13, 2014, 11:57:43 AM
My wife will purchase the v8 today sometime so I will install that on this same unit but what I am essentially asking is if you take two touchscreen pc's, one is an older one and the other is a new much more powerful pc, will the new pc make etouch react faster?

It will do certain things faster like search but both should react to the touch pretty much straight away as it's the same as a mouse click essentially. Where are you seeing lag?

Jukebox Stats...

mikehende

The lag is mainly when "scrolling", this is taking too long to my liking. I already have a few friends expressing their interest in getting a setup like this so I will need to learn this software inside out if I am to help them set everything up and advise them on which touchscreens they should purchase, this goes for me too whenever I get a touchtunes housing. Especially for my friends I don't want to tell them to purchase a very expensive and powerful touchscreen and have the lag problem. I am suspecting this older pc as being the cause of the lag since it's only 1gb RAM and the processor should be around a 2.0 Pentium if that but I don't have another newer touchscreen to test.

Barcrest

Disk access is also a thing you will want to look at. I use an SSD as the boot drive where E-touch is installed, obviously it would be nice to have the media on one of these too but they are expensive for the larger sizes. You can speed up the album paging by making sure the cover images are no larger than 400x400 for the large ones and 200x200 for the smaller ones. You can test the increase in speed this gives but changing the covers on the first 2 pages of albums. The faster the drive the faster the covers can be loaded and the faster the paging.

If you are using the page transitions they are hit and miss as to what set up they work on and what they don't. Seems like most modern graphics cards don't have much 2D acceleration, NVIDIA is the best.

Jukebox Stats...