Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Searching for tracks containing "Z" in the name

Started by g0pkh, October 17, 2011, 11:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g0pkh

Hi.

I have noticed a really strange problem with the search function
This is very difficult to explain but it concerns searching for tracks containing the letter "Z" in the title.
It is as though e-touch remembers any search with Z in the title.

You get more than just Z displayed as soon as you enter Z as the first search letter.
For example when I search for a song called "Zoom"  as soon as I enter the first Z,  I see ZOO shown in the search window. Sometimes e-touch will even hang at this point.

I may need to attach screen shots of this issue, but before I do. Has anyone else seen this behavior.
It only seems to happen when using the letter Z as a first character.

Pete

g0pkh

I forgot to mention.

I noticed this first with version 7.0.6 but also tried the latest V7.0.14 and still see the problem.

In fact e-touch hangs (100% CPU) when I try to search for that particular song.

Barcrest

Odd... I'll take a look at this tonight. I hate these bugs that seem to appear in functions that I have not even changed.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

g0pkh

Thanks Barry

It is really weird, this one. If I add just the one album with the song into e-touch, then it searches it fine.
But once I have added my entire collection (about 19,000) songs. When searching for "zoom" e-touch just hangs at 100% CPU after I type the forth character (M) in. I have tried this on a number of different PC's
including my test one and the results are the same, so it doesn't appear hardware related.

A number of other songs which include those search characters appear in the results list as I enter the search characters, until e-touch stops responding of course. I am guessing its something to do with similar search results within the other tracks.

It is so obscure, it really difficult to explain it.

I am not sure its to do with something you have changed recently, since its present in 7.0.6 right through to 7.0.14 beta 24

I will try a much earlier release on my test machine, and let you know if its still present

Pete

Barcrest

It might turn out to be an issue with something in your library causing something to mess up. I assume you see it hanging as you are typing and it displays the 4 quick search results?

A little more info might help me out...

What library are you searching on? I assume audio but it's good to check.
Do you have search set to search all libraries in the options screen or just the current library?

I'm sure we will figure it out, hopefully in time to get a beta out to you later.

Jukebox Stats...

g0pkh

Hi Barry

Yes I am searching on Audio. I am only using e-touch for audio.
I didn't know you could turn off search all libraries in the options screen.

Yes I do see it hang as I type into the search field and it displays the 4 quick results.
I do agree that I think it may be something in my library that is causing the problem.

All my files are properly tagged ( I use MP3TAG for this) I am wondering if it may be caused by an illegal or strange character in the either the file name or tag somewhere.

But of course with 860 albums in the library, it is a bit like searching a needle in a haystack  :)

Are there any known characters that could cause search problems either in the file names, directory structures or tags ?

Thanks for you help.

Pete

Barcrest

I don't know of any thing that should cause it to hang tag wise. You could try setting the search to only search the current library.

Jukebox Stats...

g0pkh

I don't seem to be able to find that in the option menu.
I am currently trying things on 7.0.6 within a Virtual machine

(while I am at work) :)

I do have a lot of duplicate files (in different compilation albums etc) could this be a problem
while searching ?

At the moment I am continually removing albums from the library, and rebuilding the database
every time, to try to find the bad album. Currently it is hanging after just searching Z and O

Very weird.

Barcrest

Quote from: g0pkh on October 18, 2011, 11:53:26 AM
I don't seem to be able to find that in the option menu.
I am currently trying things on 7.0.6 within a Virtual machine

(while I am at work) :)

I do have a lot of duplicate files (in different compilation albums etc) could this be a problem
while searching ?

At the moment I am continually removing albums from the library, and rebuilding the database
every time, to try to find the bad album. Currently it is hanging after just searching Z and O

Very weird.

Duplicate files will not be an issue, I have used it with 100,000 albums without a problem so it won't be that.

Jukebox Stats...

g0pkh

Hi Barry

I have found my problem (or at least one) I think.

I have the Coldplay Album X & Y on my Juke.

The crashing bug is reproduceable by having an mp3 file with the track title in the tag as
X & Y ( as in track 6 on that album).

If I use MP3TAG and edit the tag of that one track so that the track title is (X & Y) note the brackets.
All is fine,  If I change the track title to simply X & Y then when I search for a track title using Z then another character e-touch hangs.

Can you reproduce this ?

For now I have simply changed the tag to show the title as (X & Y)

This has taken hours of removing content from my library and retesting, until I came to this one album.

Very , very weird.

Pete

g0pkh

After further checking.

It would appear that if any track title starts with an X then searching for Z and another character causes e-touch to hang.

I tried changing this particular track title in the tag to W & Y for instance, and all seemed to be ok when searching.

if would be great if someone else could confirm these findings, just as a check for my sanity  :)

Pete

Barcrest

Just loading it up now to check, i have the cold play album so we will wee if it happens for me.

Jukebox Stats...

Barcrest

Jukebox Stats...

g0pkh

The album plays ok for me too.

I just get these weird hangs when searching for other titles.
Particularly noticeable when searching for tracks beginning with "Z"

Barcrest

I was able to search for zoom without an issue...  I have just implimented a faster search and i'm just making a release now. Not sure if it will fix your issue or not... Hmm just had a thought, you don't have a track with no title in the track tag field do you?

EDIT: Just changed the DB Loading code to exclude tracks that do not have a title in the tag. Maybe I could dump out a list of untagged tracks to a file?

Jukebox Stats...