Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Speaker Advice

Started by andowhy, December 30, 2010, 01:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andowhy

Hi All,

I am after a bit of help with regards to speakers/wattage/rms etc.  Since Ive had the juke ive just been using the home theatre setup, but I recently set it up at a mates house for a backyard party and lets just say, the home theatre speakers are not built to be lugged around someone elses house. 

So I have been looking on eBay for an easy 2 speaker setup, which is easily portable but is still going to be able to pump out enough volume for a backyard party.  Im at a loss as to what wattage speakers I should be looking at.  Ive posted a couple of links of ones that look good to me, but am open to other suggestions or advice.  Obviously I'm not looking at spending big bucks on brand names but would be looking at around $500 bucks max, and its easiest to shop on ebay as im in a regional area, so don't have a city DJ shop to look around in.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150540164675&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160524304056&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180605884228&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Regards,
Darren

leeclark2612

Your typical 'home theatre' setup would have 100w per speaker channel, so if you wanted to match this, I would look at an amplifier that can output 200w per channel at 8 ohms (this is usually the norm for impedance). If you wanted a bigger speaker of the same value, you might consider spending a few more $$'s to buy some decent drivers & horns and build yourself a pair of 200w speakers...it's easily done and could be a lot cheaper!

cliff

DJ equipment is the way to go if you want a lot of sound.  If you want to keep your cost low you could try radio shack.  I bought a 250 watt DJ amp for $225 and 2 10 inch pa speakers for $110 for both.  We use this stuff for karaoke and music in our basement and for parties and its goes pretty loud.  The sound quality is not bad but cannot compare to a crown amp and peavey pa speakers but you only spending $330.00. If you want great sound a crown xls 1000 amp and a pair of peavey pv115 should do but will cost you a little more than $700.  I would have went in that direction but it would be overkill for my needs. good luck and have fun.

Barcrest

Quote from: cliff on January 13, 2011, 04:21:57 PM
DJ equipment is the way to go if you want a lot of sound.  If you want to keep your cost low you could try radio shack.  I bought a 250 watt DJ amp for $225 and 2 10 inch pa speakers for $110 for both.  We use this stuff for karaoke and music in our basement and for parties and its goes pretty loud.  The sound quality is not bad but cannot compare to a crown amp and peavey pa speakers but you only spending $330.00. If you want great sound a crown xls 1000 amp and a pair of peavey pv115 should do but will cost you a little more than $700.  I would have went in that direction but it would be overkill for my needs. good luck and have fun.

I agree with this, however if you go on ebay you should be able to find a decent PA system quite cheap. Peavey or Cerwin Vega's will give you good sound at high volume.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...