Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Add Download Section to the Forum?

Started by eist1, October 11, 2010, 01:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eist1

Barry,

Would it be possible to add a Download Section (or something similar like Support Files) to the forum? I think this would be really useful to have one spot to download the different files needed for E-Touch such as Genre Images, Internet Radio Stations, Fanart etc.... It's pretty hard to have to dig through old posts to find the needed files. Maybe we could have a few people able to update the Download section so it doesn't get too messy, or just have each type of file stickied in the section. I thought this would help so new members don't have to ask for files that have already been posted.

kizer

Actually I was just looking into this for my own site. It could be added and you can select the location in the upload information so it could be downloaded offsite. Meaning when a file is added the URL could be pointed else where so when the user clicks on it the file would be linked else where so I can aid in the bandwith. You can add thumbnails for a quick view as well. It would make for some work to get it all started thou. Just depends on if Barcrest wants to take on that effort or not.

Just like any of the skins from the authors they could link to their sites and it would point to them from Freebox.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=992

I think you can even set it up so specific categories would only allow specific member groups. The great thing is you can limit it to only active logged in members can click on a download which would encourage some more members to join opposed to lurking and if they passed the URL to a download to somebody it wouldn't allow them to download unless they are logged in and of course if their permissions do not allow it then they could not download said files.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

eist1

Thanks Kizer.... I was actually just going to recommend linking the downloads to your site that is already hosting 90% of them :) I think the Download thread would help out alot and get users all of the files they need so they can try everything E-Touch has to offer.

kizer

No problem'0 ;)

I totally agree. It would be some work to setup like everything on Barcrests side since hes the Admin guy here, but if the files are already located somewhere like they are its just a matter of pointing to them with each new Download that is added to the sites database.

Especially since there are a lot of files scattered here and there on the forum

Also Barcrest if this is something you might be interested in I can give you access to another site I have and let you tinker around so you don't have to install until well you are ready/willing. ;)
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

Barcrest

I guess it is something I could look at. This site is long overdue an overhaul I just don't have enough time to work on the site and the app.... See if i can do something later this week or the weekend.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

kizer

Quote from: Barcrest on October 12, 2010, 07:57:06 AM
I guess it is something I could look at. This site is long overdue an overhaul I just don't have enough time to work on the site and the app.... See if i can do something later this week or the weekend.

You know I'd gladly help out if you want it. Anyways......