Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Getting Freebox to run on Computer startup

Started by krjamk, November 25, 2008, 06:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krjamk

Anyone have any ideas as to why Freebox no longer will open and run at startup for me? I have the shortcut for it in my startup folder under documents and setting and it used to work up until a few months ago. I for the life of me dont know what changed or why it would not start any longer. This problem as brought up an idea. Has anyone suggested the possibility of adding this directly into Freebox as an option to check yes or know on if you want the program to run at startup?

thanks,
KRJAMK

kizer

I have the short cut in my startup folder and it starts just fine.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

Cary_B

I also have the shortcut in my startup folder and it works just fine.  The only problem is that is clears the desktop before all the icons are built, so some of the desktop icons show behind the Freebox screen after it finishes loading.  I wish the program would clear the desktop/icons later in the load to take care of this.

Novalak

gameex.net has a sheller which will shell the desktop and you wont see a thing

Cary_B

Quote from: Novalak on December 01, 2008, 02:05:57 PM
gameex.net has a sheller which will shell the desktop and you wont see a thing

Good to know, but since I built my Jukebox computer on a completely minimul build of windows, to speed it up as much as possible, and to cuase as little chance as possible to have any conflicts, I still wish that Freebox would hide the icons/desktop later in the load of the program so I won't have to go that route.  As little extra software as possible is a good thing.

Barcrest

There is no real reason to have any icons on the desktop. They actually slow the PC down as it looks up the icon info for those programs. Really you want to remove all the icons off the desktop anyway.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Cary_B

Quote from: Barcrest on December 01, 2008, 03:51:04 PM
There is no real reason to have any icons on the desktop. They actually slow the PC down as it looks up the icon info for those programs. Really you want to remove all the icons off the desktop anyway.

I think you misunderstood me.  I want the icons off my desktop.  The program does that for me when run after the computer is started up, and I start Freebox manually.  But if I put a shortcut to run it in the startup folder, the computer boots so fast, that Freebox starts running before the destop is completely drawn and the icons are show.  As a result, Freebox is actually running, and has already given the command to remove the icons and the desktop before they show up.  As a result, they show through.  I have to shut down Freebox, and restart to get rid of them.

I just am asking for you to move the command to hide the desktop and icons later in the startup process so people running stripped down versions of Windoze, such as TinyXP, doen't have this problem.  Not a really big deal, just an annoyance, really.

Barcrest

I see what you are saying but what i was saying was i don't see a reason for anyone to have desktop icons on a machine used just for a jukebox. I will move the command to the end of the freebox boot process bt you might be better of removing the icons if they are not essential.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

kizer

Or, you get a PC like mine that is so slow that freebox takes a while to load and my icons do show on the desktop I can use. ;)
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)