Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Thank god I'm single lol

Started by Mark Norville, September 08, 2016, 01:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Norville

Well I have had a busy and expensive morning but still pretty cheap for my new beast of a jukebox.

Firstly a 32 inch ELO ET3200l touch screen monitor £169 (inc delivery)
Secondly a Windows 7 HP Dual Core 2x3.40GHz Desktop PC Computer - 4GB RAM - 320GB HDD Wi-Fi £36.29 (inc delivery)
Thirdly a monitor mount plus snap toggles £14.45

Total £219.74 - £15.00 amazon discount = £204.74

So all in all not a bad day of shopping.

I was originally going to build another computer, but this probably would have cost around £200 and I saw the computer going cheap with a years warranty and thought sod it why not. A monster jukebox for the price of Barry's bar bill at the weekend lol

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

That is a great price on that touchscreen, i thought of doing something similar but going with one of those all in one touchscreen PC's. The issue I had with that was finding one at a decent price.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

I have seen the all in ones going reasonably cheapish about £200 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PackardBell-L5351-all-in-one-23-Touchscreen-PC-1TB-4GB-Win-7-AIO-Computer-/262583624485?hash=item3d23342325:g:BjIAAOSwqfNXnx0d that is pretty good for £199 a decent size monitor.

I just set my heart on 32 inch though to mirror the nsm jukeboxes, I have a 20 inch touchscreen here, but I knew I just wanted that extra bling lol

The only downside is that it will be a monitor on a wall, rather than having a proper case for it, and jukebox cabinet plans or even kits are rare as rocking horse poo.

The other downside regarding the ELO monitor is that the power consumption is high about 111w watts I think it is, compare that to a modern monitor, it will reasonably eat the electric.

I can now dedicate my cabinet to being an arcade machine, jukebox for that sole purpose apart from maybe emulating vertical games, and then this computer for surfing and then watching movies, but as soon as the NVidia shield comes back in stock or they finally release version 2, then I want to get one of those as well, so I have all the bases covered then.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

berrywell

Kudos on the price of the 32" touch screen monitor, that's an incredible price.

Gaucho

Mark Norville

Barry here is another cheap all in one even though it is a dell machine (spits) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-ONE-ALL-IN-ONE-17-PC-COMPUTER-DC-2-2-Ghz-4GB-320GB-WINDOWS-7-PRO/291838330644?_trksid=p2054502.c100229.m3211&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140505115423%26meid%3D5ec87ed2a7554b66ad82d3dbb32f863d%26pid%3D100229%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D13%26sd%3D391534528654 £94.99 buy it now price.

Here is another good monitor that I was going to consider if I could not get the 32 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291866529874?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 24 inch for £100 at the moment with no bids.

I might have been semi happy with that as a good brand, a rated efficiency. If I had the money I might have brought it as well, and then used it for some thing special and different.

Mark Norville

I just had the computer delivered well at 08:48 while I was still sleeping and he could not sign it off until 08:50 which was the longest two minutes of my life. I am typing this and I am humming and arrring if this will be good enough, to run etouch. I shall have a go and replace the hard drives and put in my SSD drive to see if that makes a difference, the operating system on this is Windows 7 professional for some reason, probaly a bit too much for such an old computer.

The fan is driving me nuts at the moment, from such a modern and quiet computer, you go back to an old computer and you remember a lot of the faults. I always used to laugh when you was speaking to someone on the phone, and they used to say you will have to bare with me, the computer has gone slow. I bloody know why now.

Still shall give it a go, maybe buy a cheap graphics card to boost up the graphics a bit, however in the end I know that I will probaly build another PC in the future as this noise is really getting on my tits.

Like having a heavy breather on the phone.

Mark Norville

I have now installed the Ssd in and God what a difference. The fan is quiet as hell now, a peaceful breeze rather than the hurricane it was earlier.

The boot times have increased as well. I still need to install etouch and other bits and bobs but will be interesting to see what the end result is like.

I would say a cheap jukebox pc but adding a 240 gig ssd has pushed it up to near a hundred,  possible graphic card in the future and more memory pushes it up to around £150.

Pretty much the same price as newer products. A cheap pc base might seem quick and easy but in the long run it might be the more expensive option.

ecbrad

An SSD is the single best bang for buck upgrade you can do. Makes an 8 year old machine feel like a modern new one.

Brad

Barcrest

Quote from: ecbrad on September 10, 2016, 09:07:27 AM
An SSD is the single best bang for buck upgrade you can do. Makes an 8 year old machine feel like a modern new one.

Brad

I agree, mark wasn't impressed with his purchase at first. The thing is the small SSD's are cheap now and you only need 32gb for the OS and E-touch.

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

I just had a look and that small are around the £20 mark for 30 gigs it does work out a lot more expensive unless you are not worried about future proofing. Another £20 more and you get another 80 gigs.

I need to get a hard drive for this as my drives are old and this hp Compaq keeps coming up io error. The computer will do for now as just want to test everything and money is tight so might have been months before being able to have it up and running.

My next mission is to find someone with wood working skills and just a simple enclosure with maybe led or hide them outside the unit with chrome t moulding.

I am also looking on fiverr and thinking about employing people to do voice overs and stuff like that just to add the dogs knackers I wish they had not given me a credit card it has gone to my head now lol

Barcrest

I did get some voice overs off fiver for when i had the juke installed in balloons. The jingles i used were "DJ Barry B" and "Balloons Bar", they were good and i had them play every 5 songs. I wouldn't mind getting a couple more for the back yard tunes I host on Thursdays. The TTS is ok but real voices are much better.

With small SSD's you really want 2 30gb's or 2 80gb's and raid them into one drive. You get the capacity of both and almost double the write speed, obviously if one dies you loose everything but just for O/S and E-Touch they should last a while. You then need a newer PC I guess that will support sata3 in raid but it's the fastest you can get. Apparently the PCIe ssd's are very quick too as you bypass the SATA 3 limitations.

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

Well what we could do is come up with something that suits the whole forum, each chip in say £1 or something like that and get stuff done. It would be useless for us chipping in for Barrys Jukebox but if we can find something suitable I certainly don't mind going halfs on stuff.

Even templates I can edit them so we could cut a lot of costs down.

Barcrest

I do have the mastermix DJ stuff that has generic stuff like "Rocking you through the festive season" and stuff like that. I think you really need to get your own personalized ones as they work much better.

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

Oh god yeah, but stuff such as this jukebox is free play or top 40 added each week etc etc is generic which those interested can always go a share on the price and we all get something a bit special. I just want it all together now, I am even thinking about getting LED lighting and maybe a dj lighting just for effect, even though most of the times it is my personal use, so I wouldn't have it on that much, but might be nice at some point just for showing off.