Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Found some great glue for cab fabrication

Started by Rob_Hendley, January 18, 2010, 11:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob_Hendley

Hi all,

Just a quickie.  Been having problems gluing angle aluminium to MDF and some plasti-chrome to vinyl.

Anyhow, I bought a 250ml of Wickes Forget Nails Instant Grab adhesive and it really is high quality stuff.  Cost about £3 and seems to be sticking everything.  Also, it comes in a handy sized tube and is easy to apply.

Any seepage has rubbed off like chalk

Just thought I should share this with anyone having similar problems.  Have also posted in readers projects.

Regards
Rob

fordman

Thanks Rob for the tip!

Not sure if it is available in the USA or not.

We have a manufacturer of glue here called Gurilla Glue and they have an industrial strength for those tough jobs and it seems to do a fantastic job with bonding 2 different type of materials together.

:beer

Fordman

Rob_Hendley

Ah yes, I forgot we have a very diverse contingent on the board.  Music knows no bounds eh?

Orc

Quote from: fordman on January 19, 2010, 12:13:52 AM
We have a manufacturer of glue here called Gurilla Glue and they have an industrial strength for those tough jobs and it seems to do a fantastic job with bonding 2 different type of materials together.

:beer

Fordman

Yep great stuff......So strong I stuck 2 pieces of a broken drawer together....The Mrs broke it again...The glue had held and the wood had split in another place.....

I noticed they were selling it in Tescos the other day.....£4.79 iirc

Here's the product....

http://www.gluegorilla.co.uk/index.asp?function=WEBPAGE&page=1

Really is good gear.......

Rob_Hendley

What about sticking shiny surfaces to shiny surfaces?

Orc

I'll let you know.....

Just stuck 2 pieces of metal together....

Stay tooned........

;D

Rob_Hendley

Barcrest

Castomite for metal to metal. You have to mix the stuff IIRC but it's almost as good as welding LOL
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Orc

Quote from: Rob_Hendley on January 19, 2010, 11:27:32 PM
Cheers pal - let us know

Will do....

I was gonna do a vid....But the bloody cat refuses to get off my desk at the mo....

When he does...I'll do one.....Will be interesting to see myself how well it holds as I have not tried to pull them apart yet...

Rob_Hendley

Get with the program Orc (if that is indeed your real name)

The suspenders are killing me!

Orc

Rob_Hendley

Cheers for the demo lad - either the glue is pants for gluing metal to metal, or you just don't know your own strength!

Then again, given that you sound like a soft southern fairy, it must be the glue that is pants!

I've used this Wickes own brand no more nails to glue angle aluminium to MDF and it is stuck pretty solid.  The shiny back of the plasti-chrome strip hasnt stuck to the shiny plastic as good, but it takes a bit of effort to peel it off, so it should be ok in a low stress area.

Superglue is good for plastic to plastic, but the problem is its a high detail area so any superglue seepage would look terrible.  This powdery white residue left by the Wickes glue seems to scrub off ok.  If it does come dislodged in the future, I can use dabs of superglue I guess.

Thanks again Orc - very informative, professional, and its good to see you helping us Midlanders out!

Barcrest

Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...