News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Sort by Artists then album name?? My updates are showing up LAST?? Arrrggh!

Started by fat-johnny, January 28, 2008, 01:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fat-johnny

Is there any way to re-sort the albums once you use the Freebox Config prgram to build a library??  Here's the situation I found.

I have a base folder called D:\music
Inside D:\music  I have D:\music\albums
Inside D:\music  I have D:\music\updates

I have folders (albums) called: D:\music\albums\Various Artists\Now thats what I call music 01
D:\music\albums\Various Artists\Now thats what I call music 01
D:\music\albums\Various Artists\Now thats what I call music 02
D:\music\albums\Various Artists\Now thats what I call music 03
D:\music\albums\Various Artists\Now thats what I call music 24
D:\music\albums\Various Artists\Super Hits 01
D:\music\albums\Various Artists\Super Hits 02
D:\music\albums\Various Artists\Super Hits 03
D:\music\albums\Various Artists\Super Hits 11
D:\music\albums\Various Artists\Very good hits
D:\music\albums\Various Artists\Wonderful hits

I want to update the "now" albums, and the "Super Hits" albums, so I rip the newest volumes, and put them in D:\music\updates
D:\music\updates\Various Artists\Super Hits 12
D:\music\updates\Various Artists\Super Hits 13
D:\music\updates\Various Artists\Now thats what I call music 25
D:\music\updates\Various Artists\Now thats what I call music 26

I want to keep these in the seperate "Updates" folder, so I know what albums are new, and I have to "update" them to me secondary PC.  Once they are synced, I will move them to the regular "Albums" folder.

When I build my library, what I would like to see happen is that all of these albums go into the slider bar under V for Various Artists.   They DO do this.  However, it puts my updates at the end.  It does not intermingle them in correct alphabetical order.

What it does:

It's like it is secretly putting them in order of their PATH, not of the artist, then album name.

What I would like it to do:

How can I do this??  I look around in the Freeboix Config progeam, and I see two buttons on the EDIT TOOLS page that say "Sort by artist" and "sort by album title", but when I click on them, it appears that nothing happens.

Can someone fill me in??
Thanks,
FJ

Barcrest

Are you using update library? Or Add to library? Each works differently. Really the only reliable way is to build the library every time you add new albums. I know you loose the NEW display function doing this but it is the quickest and easiest way. Really the config needs re-coding from the ground up.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

fat-johnny

I have no problem erasing the three  "record.xxx"  files from the Freebox folder.  I do that pretty much each and every time I want to rebuild anyway. 

So if I plan on pulling songs from two locations:
D:\music\albums
D:\music\updates

what is the preferred method??

1) "Build music library" on D:\music\albums, and then select D:\music\updates and "Add to library"

2) "Build music library" on D:\music\albums, and then select D:\music\updates and "Update library"

Or BUILD from  the smaller one (updates) first, and then Update from the larger one (albums).

Let me know the difference between Build, add, and update........and let me know how I should go about this so that when I am done, my albums are in the right order, by artist then by album name.

Thanks,
FJ

draginit

heres a link to brief descriptions of the buttons in question.
http://www.iamkizer.net/freeboxjukebox/configtool.html
the online manual is a good source for questions like this but could probably use a little updating.
Just when you thought it not possible....TwelveNinedy

eist1

Really the easiest way would be to just have one main music folder with separate artist folders, and the albums of each arist in those folders (C:\My Music\"Artist Name"\"Album Name"). Then when you need to update your library add the new Artists/Albums to your library, delete the records.xxx files then re-run the Generate Library in the Config3 program, pointing it to your C:\My Music folder. That's how I do it, as Update and Add to Library are not 100% in getting all of the albums updated in a existing library as far as I know.

fat-johnny

Quote from: eist1 on January 29, 2008, 10:18:31 PM
Really the easiest way would be to just have one main music folder with separate artist folders, and the albums of each arist in those folders (C:\My Music\"Artist Name"\"Album Name").

I definitely have all my music organized as such, folder of the artist name, and then subfolders for each album.  I agree that the easiest way is to have them all in one spot, and let Windows sort them alphabetically, and them build my library from there......

I agree that IS the easiest way  .......but I have a need to keep my latest albums that I am working on in a separate folder called "updates".  Once I copy those albums to my garage PC and my offline USB harddrive (backup purposes), THEN I will integrate them into my normal "albums" folder".

So I guess the answer is that there is no way to re-sort them once Freebox config utility imports them.  What about those records.xxx files?  Are they databases?  Can I open them in Access, and then just run a sort query on them in access??  If not Access, what kind of program can I use to open/sort those databases??

FJ

fat-johnny

Quote from: fat-johnny on January 30, 2008, 03:47:40 PM
So I guess the answer is that there is no way to re-sort them once Freebox config utility imports them.  What about those records.xxx files?  Are they databases?  Can I open them in Access, and then just run a sort query on them in access??  If not Access, what kind of program can I use to open/sort those databases??

Anyone??  Barry??

FJ

Barcrest

Sorry dude i am sans internet. I would just build the library new each time pointing it to \music\ that will contain everything and will work.

Add, basically appends to the database.

Update adds only newly found albums.

Both Add and Update have limitations and need work but i am without a home or internet right now so you'll have to bear with me. I'm posting this from work.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...