Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Arcade Input?

Started by 2wheelDuke, January 22, 2010, 05:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2wheelDuke

OK, this is probably a n00b question, so feel free to flame away when you link me to the proper area.

I'm looking to use 5.0.29 on a machine with a X-Arcade Tankstick.

I see the key highlight that's enabled by default.  I was hoping move that with either the trackpad or the joystick, which maps to the keypad. 

I've tried mapping those keys with no luck in the options.  So far the trackball is only working like a regular mouse.

Ideally I'll have the funds for a touchscreen and extra box to be a jukebox, but I'd like for the arcade box to pull double duty for a while if possible.

Any suggestions?

coffee

I've done this in the past and it is really quite simple. The cheapest way to do this is to do a keyboard hack.

First use a keyboard and programme the keys you want to use in the "key shortcuts" section from the options menu in freebox. Test it to make sure it works correctly.
Take an old working keyboard and open it. You'll see it works on a matrix system. Now locate the keys you would like to use and follow the 2 tracks for each key to where they connect to the small little PC board inside the keyboard. Simple solder the 2 wire for each button or switch(on a joystick) to this points.
I've used a joystick in this way in the past to move the curser in freebox and it worked well but the new highlighted box function is king. The highlighted box functions works by moving a highlighted box with left and right buttons or with a joystick. Not sure if this is allready available in the demo but it is the way to go if your using an arcade cab.

Barcrest

You need to make sure the keyboard is not disabled in options and you should then usin up and down be able to select albums and tracks.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

2wheelDuke

Quote from: Barcrest on January 22, 2010, 09:00:47 AM
You need to make sure the keyboard is not disabled in options and you should then usin up and down be able to select albums and tracks.

This is making me feel stupid here.  I don't see any mention of "keyboard" in the settings.  Can somebody show me a screenshot of it?

Barcrest

There is an option for keyboard settings. In there you need to remove the check box from disable keyboard. then set your keys for up / down and select and you should be good to go.

Jukebox Stats...

fordman

2Wheel,

This is what your looking for:

:beer

Fordman

2wheelDuke

Quote from: fordman on January 25, 2010, 05:28:23 PM
2Wheel,

This is what your looking for:

:beer

Fordman

The good news is that I'm not totally retarded and was doing the setup right.

The bad news is that the keyboard didn't work even when I did it right.  I'll have to try deleting my .ini file and starting over, or maybe just re-install e-touch.

I'm also getting a strange issue where I'll click one album, but it brings up a different album, usually an album from that same spot on the grid on another page.

Maybe this is all a sign that the arcade cabinet is for games and to get parts for a jukebox build. 

fordman

E-Touch is primarily for a touch screen application, but its not totally out of the realm off possibility to use with an arcade cabinet.

Fordman

Barcrest

You have to use uppercase letters if you were trying that.

Jukebox Stats...

2wheelDuke

Quote from: fordman on January 25, 2010, 05:51:08 PM
E-Touch is primarily for a touch screen application, but its not totally out of the realm off possibility to use with an arcade cabinet.

Fordman

I'm getting that.  I built a touchscreen jukebox with my old roomate and it was awesome.  Even if I got it going right, it'd feel awkward to use the arcade controls, even the trackball. 

I just moved and that soaked up all of my extra funds.  Once I recoup from that, I'll be hoping the eBay gods smile upon me and I land a good deal on a touchscreen for a build.