Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Loading music from flash drive

Started by wyzer, March 25, 2010, 06:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyzer

OK... I'm back to grovel for more help.

I've decided to build another jukebox, this one for my motor home. I see newer models with stereos installed behind a door on the outside and thought how cool would it be to open one of the cargo doors and have an actual jukebox to play music, which made me think what would be the easiest way to update the music library. I think installing a usb connection on the front or side panel would be the simplest if I can easily get the music transferred.

So what I would like to do is be able to organize the files on a flash drive then plug it in and use one of the "download "button's or have a selection box popup to download the songs to my music folder. One of the biggest problems I see is if updating an existing artist how would it know to put it in that folder

After my question about fanart and bzpilot suggested using batch files, I studied the ones here and did some reading on the subject but have concluded what I would like to do is way beyond me. If this is doable could someone help me with the batch files to do this? Maybe this could be useful to others as well.

By the way I found this little utility while searching around "USBDLM" it gives control over Window's drive letter assignment for USB drives. Not sure if anyone has seen this before or if it would be of any use but I thought I would throw it out here just in case it could be useful.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Thanks for any help again

Barcrest

You would need the files organised on the usb drive already, then plug it in and using autorun call a bat file and copy the music across. Personally i would store the music on an external usb drive and when you wanted to update it you could just plug it into your main pc and manage it that way.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

fordman

If your using Win7, they have placed restictions on certain .inf files. But XP, an .inf file should work just fine on a thumb drive!

Fordman

wyzer

Didn't really consider a usb hard drive, that's a good idea, thanks.

I guess what I was thinking by being able to use a flash drive and batch files was interacting with the jukebox more like an appliance rather than a computer. I thought it would be convenient to just acknowledge a few prompts to load music rather than have to transfer manually. The jukebox will be installed permanently in the motor home and  I wasn't planning on allowing for the use of a keyboard or mouse and trying to work with files can be difficult with just the touch screen, at least the way I use it.

Be honest with me, am I just out there with the way I am thinking? Am I making things to hard for myself? Like with my other question about fanart, I thought it made sense to be able to direct e-touch to files that are dynamic rather than transferring them into e-touch.

Thanks again

wyzer

Thanks Fordman, I'am running XP sp2.

I going to do some more research and if i can make sense of it I will try and put something together and see if it will do what I want.