Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Rember the 2.5 Million track jukeboxes

Started by Barcrest, February 12, 2010, 05:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barcrest

Well it looks like sound leisure have now picked up the rights to access that same library of tracks.

http://www.slretail.co.uk/soundleisure/products/MIM_Unlimited/mim_unlimited.html

I was never quite sure why the original ones went under as they had the best interface and obviously offered the largest choice of music. It was one of those boxes that gave me the idea to impliment play now and play next.

You can bet your life sound leisure still don't have a working search routine. All the current models I have seen require you to search on the start of the title...

If i want rage against the machine - killing in the name of then i have to search on "Killing In" if i type "The Name Of" i will get nothing. Same with Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar it will not be found just searching on sugar. Then there is their inconsistent naming where some tracks might be "Who, The" and others "The Who" which when coupled with the dodgy search is far from ideal. Seach under artist for "who" and you get the ones listed as "Who, The" but not the ones listed "The Who".

Strange the way they dominate the UK market, personally I prefer the software on the NSM icon cabs however I have heard they are unreliable...

I wonder how you would go about obtaining a licence to that 2.5 million song server  ;)
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

fordman

Wow,

I hope the server doesnt crash or someone 'cuts' a line to the jukebox. Few questions, is the interface local or off the server? I personally like having my stuff local as possible server issues and possibility of 'buffer' issues as well. When you have one of these installed in your pubs, do they have to have an existing DSL line or is one installed to accomodate the juke?

2.5 million tunes is alot of tunes but alot of b-sides, album fillers and obscure tunes very few have heard of.

:beer

Fordman

leeclark2612

At last - something i can help with!

I just got made redundant from the company that bought out the company who had the original 'Leisure Link' 2.5 million tracks jukeboxes. They were server and local drive based. eg, a selection of songs were stored locally and cost 25p a song, server based songs cost 50p to download and play and then 25p from thereon. Like Barry said, the offered an extensive search and the option to play next and now for a higher tariff. One of the reasons the company went bust was apparently due to poor service of the machines, meaning pubs left them for other companies - no machines = no income! They had the 'ITbox' games terminal where you could buy ringtones etc...anyhow, I would imagine the sound leisure 2.5 million tracks juke will work in exactly the same way, and as usual, will depend on the pub having a broadband connection...

Barry, we put out the NSM Icon jukebox - they are realy unreliable! They use an IR remote. and when you press 'standby', you have to power down and turn on juke to get the thing going again!

I'd love access to that server...shame it's all encoded i'm sure someone will find a back door! A license sure would be good...one thing I don't understand also is the other reason Leisure Link got into trouble was the demise of Woolworths - That's who supplied the 2.5 million tracks server in the first place...who has it now??

Barcrest

I recon this needs 18TB of storage to hold all that music based on the fact that 250,000 songs will fit on 2TB, not really out of the home users reach to have locally. Might take a couple of hours to build the library though LOL

Part of woolworths, the entertainment part i believe is now owned by the BBC so they might own this digital archive.

As for it being encoded how are you so sure. The sound liesure boxes just use regular mp3's and mpg's so why would this be different. (See my post in the beta section)

Jukebox Stats...

leeclark2612

AH BBC got it...didn't know that...i've tried to play the music from a SL update disc before, WMP says it's encoded and will only run with SL software...if that is wrong then i've got a lot of new mp3's! They're still sending me the update discs even tho i don't work for them anymore...how do I access the beta section? I haven't donated again yet...will be soon tho when next pay is here...

Barcrest

The SL Discs you get what file format is the music in? I have only played with the Sound Sufer and Video surfer and I know they are just MP3 and MPG files. Trouble is with the SL Discs they are not complete albums anyway so would you really want to use them? The videos are ok but individual audio tracks not so much. It is a shame they stopped doing the Video Surfer, watching videos is much more entertaining that just playing audio. IIRC They still do have a video option on one of the boxes they sell.

Jukebox Stats...

Barcrest

I have put it in the V5 registered section. Thought it might be of interest to you.. I only just released it anyway... Comes in handy if you have access to a video surfer.  :beer

Jukebox Stats...