Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Artist Tag Vs Album Artist Tag

Started by Barcrest, March 10, 2014, 04:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barcrest

I ask because I know that the majority if not all my media doesn't have the album artist tagged. Also to see the featured artist then the actual track artist tag would have to be shown all the time which doesn't look great IMHO on albums by just one artist but I thought I would ask and see what the real user opinion is?
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

nategee

My collection is 90-95% Artist Tag=Album Artist Tag.

The big exception would be the Various Artists collections where I've got Album Artist tag set to "Various Artists" and Artist is the person/band who recorded the track in question.

Would it not be possible to code it so that if Artist tag = Album Artist tag (or Album Artist tag is blank) then only show Artist tag?

wwwombat

My percentage may vary slightly but for the most part Track Artist = Album Artist but I set Album Artist as a whole to the band name. I only tag the Album Artist field with "Various Artists" on those true compilation discs or soundtracks (unless the soundtrack has one main artist)

I agree the track listing looks cleaner without replicating the Album Artist on each line so I can only suggest you do this when the Track Artist doesn't match the true Album Artist.

Gaucho

Hmmmm, I have both album and track artist tagged except obviously for compilations albums where the album artist is tagged as various.

Can't offer a constructive vote here.

Barcrest

Quote from: wwwombat on March 11, 2014, 04:24:51 AM
I agree the track listing looks cleaner without replicating the Album Artist on each line so I can only suggest you do this when the Track Artist doesn't match the true Album Artist.

Actually I could show artist only if album tag = Various Artists other wise I have to check each track artist for differences and the track listing display would be slower to appear.

Jukebox Stats...

ecbrad

I only ever tag with the actual artists album. Pretty much every 2nd song these days in the top 40/Billboard whatever is "Main Artist Feat. some douche" and I generally ignore that and strip it out.

If the feature was enabled I'm not sure I'd go around re-tagging my collection so wouldn't use it anyway.

Brad

rumackay

Quote from: ecbrad on March 12, 2014, 06:39:55 AM
I only ever tag with the actual artists album. Pretty much every 2nd song these days in the top 40/Billboard whatever is "Main Artist Feat. some douche" and I generally ignore that and strip it out.

If the feature was enabled I'm not sure I'd go around re-tagging my collection so wouldn't use it anyway.

Brad
I move it into the song title to make sure the album doesn't turn into "various"

Eg:
Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5 (feat Christina Aguilera)
becomes:
Moves Like Jagger (feat Christina Aguilera) - Maroon 5

Catnew

When I look at a CD the front cover shows the Album Artist. Turning over I see the full track listing with individual track artists if necessary. I'd expect the software to work the same way.

wwwombat

@rumackay... That's my argument... We should be in CONTROL of the album artist and not rely on ETouch to make a (sometimes false) assumption about who the album artist is... and then we can go back to tagging our track artist as it should be if that's our desire.

For those that already drop the 'featuring' from the track artist field or add it instead to the track title area the worst they would have to do is use their tag software to set Album Artist to Track Artist and they'd still function as they always did (or Barry does a check for an empty Album Artist field and does the same set)... although I strongly urge you to reconsider this in terms of functionality and order.

Then we could get down to a singular artist for artwork, related artists etc. and other potential future benefits.

wwwombat

Brad

As I've mentioned before I'm very anal retentive when it comes to naming and tagging my media. The trouble comes when you think the 'featuring' artist is the main artist... I.e. Currentish song "Free_Rudimental featuring Emeli Sande & Nas".... Unless I "knew" I'd think that was an Emeli Sande song since her vocals are all over it and that's how I'd probably find it in a search.

T.I. and Pharrell Williams are also notorious for collaboration projects.

Barcrest

Quote from: rumackay on March 12, 2014, 09:03:30 PM

Brad
I move it into the song title to make sure the album doesn't turn into "various"

Eg:
Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5 (feat Christina Aguilera)
becomes:
Moves Like Jagger (feat Christina Aguilera) - Maroon 5

This is exactly how I do it and I'm more than happy with it. I will however look to add support for album artist as an option in the config.

Jukebox Stats...

ecbrad

I should have stipulated that I do the same thing. The Feat.  ::) artists is in the song title but never in the artist field else E-Touch does it's thing.

Cheers,
brad