Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Windows 7 pro (FULL) and Etouch

Started by dedos, October 14, 2009, 07:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedos

I'm about to install Windows 7 on a GX280 and then install Etouch. 

Anything I should know other than running etouch as admin?

I found this thread here:  http://www.freeboxjukebox.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1464.0 but there weren't any updates.

Has anyone successfully tested?  I'll post my findings.

-D

Barcrest

windos 7 not tested as is vista by myself. XP is fine for a jukebox.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

dedos

My progress so far:

1.  Installed Windows 7 pro seamlessly on an optiplex 745
2.  patched (yes there are a couple so far)
3.  Installed e-touch with no issues
4.  Ran the etouch configuration and added a couple of test folders with music
5.  Ran etouch and failed but only because I forgot to run it as administrator which leads to another issue:
       -  Since I ran etouch configuration not as an administrator, i had to rebuild the database again.
       -  So now I check on ALWAYS run as administrator on the etouch shortcut and disabled my Windows UAC to avoid to annoying security messages.
6.  After that hurdle I proceeded in launching etouch without a problem (no error messages)
7.  Played with my music with a big happy smile

Next on my list:

Installing K-Lite for videos
Working with Karaoke files.

Now for some issues i ran into pertaining to etouch itself:

1.  I have an ELO 19 touch screen for testing purposes and I set the resolution for 1024X768 in hopes that I Could use the 1028 res skin but no dice.  When I select the 1024 default skin, it just appears in a box and etouch doesnt fit in that box.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

2.  Queue:  I noticed that the number of songs in the queue is actually ONE number off.  For example I have 6 songs in queue but the count is 7 which leads me to believe that it is counting the one that's playing.  Is this a bug?

3.   I'm not sure if this is a feature request but can we animate the scrolling such as the row fades to the back of the bottom row when scrolling up or down?

I'll update the W7 progress as I move along the project.

Thanks everyone.

Barcrest

There is a bug when switching from 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 in that it doesn't always resize the window. I really need to fix this but it is not something i can recreate everytime so i don't really understand why it's not working, i will try and sort it out tonight if i get time to spend on it as i have a few other bugs that need looking at before i make the 5.00.22 release public.

The queue number might be a bug and if it is the fix should be simple.

Animate the scrolling. Are you saying if you page down say you want the current albums to slide up and the new ones slide up from the bottom. Reversed if you page the other way? This is certainly possible with a few hours coding however it would have to be added as an option as it might not be quick enough on some machines and it's also something that would require a lot of bug testing. There would also be the need to slide the screen left and right for skins that page that way so to do it properly would take a bit of work. Also it would involve me pre-loading the images for each page to be scrolled on and then pre loading again while the scroll was taking place....

What i am saying is it would be nice to do and is something i would want to do in the future but i just don't have the time to spend on it right now. I have added GENRE icon support for the next release that certainly livens up that screen and i am thinking of putting support in for a couple more animated GIFS on a few more screens to make them more animated in the hope it all looks a little more graphical. Damn if i was making enough to do this full time there are heaps of things i would have implimented by now.

Jukebox Stats...

dedos

Barcrest, I truly appreciate your time and dedication to this great product.  As is, Etouch was the winner of 5 other jukebox demos i was testing with.   The way you were describing the scrolling feature request is much better than what I thought of.  I was thinking Rows, but your thinking pages which would be AWESOME and better.  Please add this to your LONG feature request list  =).

Thanks for you time with the bug fixes.

I'll continue to post the W7 process here.

Thanks again

-Dedos

dedos

Oh and Fordman, your tutorials are great, but you did leave out a "Part 2" to the installation guide.  I guess it was going to be more like "How to add media to Etouch"

ajs1544

HI...Any update yet on trying W7 with video and karaoke files be intrrested to hear the results...cheers..!

dedos

I'll work on it some more tomorrow and report by the afternoon (EST).  Tonight I'm going to knock myself out with Nyquil (cough).

Agenda:

Karaoke
Videos
Fan Art

Barcrest

Apparently windows 7 will support apps back to win 95 so i don't see an issue.

Jukebox Stats...

dedos

AJS,

I did not make much progress yesterday since I came across another tag issue.  I did play with fan art and i had no issues.

I'm posting my other problem on another thread since it may be unrelated to w7

TeamTEOR

Quote from: Barcrest on October 20, 2009, 12:09:22 AM
Apparently windows 7 will support apps back to win 95 so i don't see an issue.
Only Win7 Pro & Ultimate will do that, the Home Basic & Premium Editions will not.
Tom

Pinball

Barcrest said, "Damn if i was making enough to do this full time there are heaps of things i would have implimented by now".

You sure had me fooled!  You're always on answering questions or fixing and enhancing e-touch.

When do you have time for any other work?

Great Job!    :beer

Barcrest

I would say on average I spend about an hour a day actually coding and fault finding, I probably spend another hour a day checking here and posting. If i could do this full time I would be spending at least 5 hours a day coding. I have enough time to keep the forum going but I would really like to have a lot more coding time to be able to add all the features i want to add. Seems like a lot of the time i am spending is bug fixing right now as the size of the app has grown and new features appear less frequently.

Jukebox Stats...

Cary_B

Barry, all I can say is we all appreciate it.  This is a great app.  Just my opinion, but the program is so feature rich right now, I am still working on trying to figure it all out, and get it customized to the way I like.  Now may be the time to lock down the feature set, and just work on any remaining bugs for a while. 

Barcrest

Well it looks like the bugs are almost quashed with the last beta. I really want to get rid of that form re-sizing issue and it looks like i need to look at the year, genre and artist filter libraries when doing an update.

Jukebox Stats...