Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Can you blacklist a genre?

Started by coffee, November 26, 2009, 09:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coffee

Hi Barry

Is it possible to blacklist a genre? For example, I don't want to see Christmas songs all year, only during the holiday season.
Another good use for this, sometimes a pub owner would ask all heavy metal or reggae to be removed from the juke. In this case you can just blacklist that genre's so it doesn't show.

Coffee

bzpilot

This a good idea.  Could take it a little further to set it up like the random play section is setup.  Where you could "Blacklist" just one or all but one and anything in between for - Artists, Genres, or Years.  This way you could have "Theme Nights" where you know only music from that want to play will be played.

This way may be overkill but it may be a good way to set it up even if just for Genre.

Pinball

I'd like to Blacklist Rap and Hip Hop, except when the kids are having a party.

ecbrad

Quote from: Pinball on November 27, 2009, 04:04:01 AM
I'd like to Blacklist Rap and Hip Hop, except when the kids are having a party.

Ditto

kizer

Yeah currently you can only use Random and add all the genres you want to play randomly, but there is no way to say. Ok, I don't want Christmas or Metal played period or even shown as a possible selection.

I have a kid that comes over to my place now and then and all he does is select metal. I don't have anything against metal, but when we are having a nice get together then all of the sudden some song with a dude screaming and guess what? He doesn't just add one he adds like 50tracks so its like HeadBangers Ball at kizers place.

It would be nice to have a selection kinda like random where you can add genres and have a tick mark that says "enable blacklist" when its checked they do not show at all as a possible selection. When its unchecked magically it reappears.

If its to much work maybe a seperate database that has to be built and loaded as part of the config app? Just throwing out ideas of course.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

coffee

Hi Kizer

QuoteHeadBangers Ball at kizers place
Wow, that was very funny. ;D :D I laugh so much I had tears in my eyes.
There is a lot of uses for this function. I think it can be quit handy.

Barcrest

Hmmm you want to block metal or rock, sorry not happening i will hard code an override for that LOL

Seriously blocking genres is not something that could be added easilly or something that is even on my todo list sorry guys i just don't have the time trying to get other things in that i think might bring me more users. I have my christmas stuff in it's own folder and i just don't build the DB with that in unless i want it to be availble like now.... Actually my random is currently christmas LOL
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Barcrest

I am an idiot... this feature is already in. It will request a pin code for anything with a genre of ADULT. I only need to find room to add a select box and make it look at that list. That would essentially block those genres.

Jukebox Stats...

leeclark2612

barry, how easy would it be to have a 4th library called either 'seasonal' or 'christmas'? that way the button could just be removed so they can't be selected, and if it could be set so the 'christmas'/'seasonal' genre didn't play it would make it totally hidden until december...

Barcrest

Quote from: leeclark2612 on December 01, 2009, 06:27:28 AM
barry, how easy would it be to have a 4th library called either 'seasonal' or 'christmas'? that way the button could just be removed so they can't be selected, and if it could be set so the 'christmas'/'seasonal' genre didn't play it would make it totally hidden until december...

Could see this might work however i don't think it's required. I will see if i can impliment the blacklisting of genres somehow. Like i said that random play screen doesn't have much room on it. I really want to add the following to that screen.

Weighting to each option. So say have Christmas set to 2 and audio set to 1. That would mean christmas has twice as much change of being picked over normal audio.

Block certain genres, this is not really just for random play but something i was implimenting for pin code access so you could use it like a prental lock. It is set up if the genre is ADULT but i was always hoping to impliment a list. Maybe i could get this on the security screen and then just have a check box to say block pin coded genres on the random play screen.

Pick from genres used in the top 10, this should give songs played that are simular to the most popular songs.

Part of the issue in implimenting these options are the limited space on the options screens. I am not sure of the best may to takle it, maybe i need to make those screens bigger but then that limits the space availble for the buttons to switch between options sections. Hmm it's a tough call but it is something that need to be looked at. The reason that i have not expanded the screen space availble has really been a legacy issue. Maybe i will force that page to be full screen and that will give a fair amount of extra space so i can tidy it all up...

Hmmm It will involve some skin changes but i think it's the direction i am going to go, guess it's a case of watch this space really.

Jukebox Stats...

coffee

Just a suggestion:
Everyboby's genres are different. Why can't one just access the filter by genre screen from the options menu and select the genres that you want blacklisted by letting the text of the selected genre/s turn red in colour. This way the ones turned red will not show.
In the jukebox you will then only see the ones that text stayed white and you will see all the genres when you access them from the options menu and so you'll see the red and white text genres meaning the one that are blacklisted and the one that are not.
Hope it make sence to you.

Barcrest

Quote from: coffee on December 01, 2009, 03:33:00 PM
Just a suggestion:
Everyboby's genres are different. Why can't one just access the filter by genre screen from the options menu and select the genres that you want blacklisted by letting the text of the selected genre/s turn red in colour. This way the ones turned red will not show.
In the jukebox you will then only see the ones that text stayed white and you will see all the genres when you access them from the options menu and so you'll see the red and white text genres meaning the one that are blacklisted and the one that are not.
Hope it make sence to you.

This does make sense but it would be hard to impliment.
1 because that screen can be skinned so setting colours isn't easy.
2 you would have to go into some sort of admin mode and access that screen.

It's easier enlarging the options screen.

Jukebox Stats...

coffee

QuoteThis does make sense but it would be hard to impliment.
1 because that screen can be skinned so setting colours isn't easy.
2 you would have to go into some sort of admin mode and access that screen.

It's easier enlarging the options screen.
As long as one can choose genres that you use on your jukebox. I use genres that are not standard genres like African Hip Hop. To choose between standard genres will not work.

its-smee

I agree with leeclark. It would be nice to have a fourth button for extra selections. I made a similar request wayback. I don't have kareoke but use that button for different selection,  an extra button would be a usful addition.

leeclark2612

Even if you could substitute the karaoke button, that would be a quick solution...it's a separate library at the end of the day...