Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Touchscreen Questions

Started by marc brazeal, October 07, 2009, 04:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc brazeal

Does anyone have any recommendations on touchscreens, brands, sizes, etc?

I'm getting ready to buy one off of Ebay but im unsure on what to get... I've seen alot of cheaper touchscreens that use the serial port, is this a bad thing?

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Barcrest

ELO or 3M Microtouch are the ones i have worked with and they work fine. You can normally pick up a 15" pretty cheap these days.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

fordman

I have bought 6 just like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELO-TOUCHSCREEN-ET1545L-8SWC-1-IBM2-15-LCd_W0QQitemZ270466288052QQcmdZViewItemQQptZComputer_Monitors?hash=item3ef90c09b4

From the seller in the that particular auction. 2 were USB and 4 were serial. They all work great and I dont see any difference between the serial or USB ones.

I've use 2 in jukeboxes and 2 in family photo kioks type set-ups. I have the others 2 sitting in their boxes, checked out and waiting for their next projected use.

At $81.00 (US) after shipping, these are a steal!

:beer

Fordman

fat-johnny

Quote from: marc brazeal on October 07, 2009, 04:07:07 AM
I've seen alot of cheaper touchscreens that use the serial port, is this a bad thing?

The serial thing is not necessarily "bad", but do keep in mind that current PC's are not shipping with serial ports.  Most of the guys on these forums are using old PC's that have been re-claimed from otehr purposes in life, and do have a serial port.  In my case, I wanted to buy a smaller/newer PC.  Found a HP mini-tower refurb for a good deal, and bought it.  Found out it did not have a serial port.  Had to throw $35 into a PCI card to add a serial port........which makes the "bargain" cheap touchscreens $35 less of a bargain.

Just be sure that the PC you want to use has a serial port, and also think of future PC's that you might use.
FJ

Barcrest

You can get adapters so you can plug a serial port into a usb though i think they might be cheaper than $35.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

dbeeks1

I bought three ELO 15" USB touchscreens from the same seller Fordman listed.  I did get one DOA, but it was promptly replaced.  No additional charges.  Two of them are in their shipping boxes awaiting the next projects.  I paid a little more for the first one, but the second two were in the $80 price range.
"Turn the jukebox up," he said dancing in irreverance, "Play C-3 let the song protest."

fat-johnny

Quote from: Barcrest on October 07, 2009, 04:51:07 PM
You can get adapters so you can plug a serial port into a usb though i think they might be cheaper than $35.
I did try that with one of them I bought, but it never worked relaiably or right.  Maybe because it was a $5 Chinese special from fleabay.  I finally bit the bullet and bought the PCI card, and it worked great.

FJ

marc brazeal

thanks for all the info guys.. i do have a serial port on the dell that im gonna use as a dedicated pc....

Fordman.. thats an awesome price.. EXACTLY what i was looking for THANKS  :beer