Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Virus targeted e-Touch files

Started by Pinball, May 21, 2010, 12:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

The last 2 days, my Norton 360 Virus scan has found E-Touch files that were infected by a Virus.

Norton identifies the Virus as :  Suspicious.Emit

The infected file names were-

On May 20th: 

c:\program files\e-touch jukebox v 5022\non mp3 tagger.exe

Then on May 21st

c:\program files\e-touch jukebox v 5022\credit module.exe

c:\program files\e-touch jukebox v 4014\credit module.exe

NOTE:

This is the first time I have found a Virus in any e-touch items.

The Norton Virus Scan  runs every day.

I have not started e-Touch in about a week.

I have not loaded any new e-touch versions to my PC  since a V 6 beta version a couple weeks ago.

I do not think this came from e-touch, but rather for some reason it is infecting the e-touch modules.

Has anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas about this??

Randy

Pinball

I found this regarding Suspicious.emit:

Suspicious.emit is the latest malware running rampant online. Suspicious.emit is a Trojan infection that may make use of Rootkit techniques in order to hide itself within the infiltrated computer system.

Suspicious.emit is believed to cause the following damage to any infected system: Suspicious.emit will open a back door on the compromised computer. The system's performance is downgraded as the application overwrites the Master Boot Record (MBR) may degrade performance. This nefarious application is also capable of system instability, as a result.

Being a malicious backdoor Trojan that runs in the background and allows remote access to the compromised system, Suspicious.emit should not be taken lightly? As a malware application, Suspicious.emit tends to disguise itself within the system, so as not to be detected as easily.

This is not a new way to deceive computer users and gain a purchase fo the full version of Suspicious.emit; however Suspicious.emit makes uses of additional misleading tactics as well.

Properties of this dubious infection, Suspicious.emit, include the following:

• Allows remote user connection
• Connects itself to the internet
• Hides from the user
• Stays resident in background

The best thing to do would be to remove this Trojan as soon as it has been detected on any given computer system. 

Barcrest

Could be a false positive, i'm pretty sure i'm not infected.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Pinball

"C:\Program Files\E-Touch Jukebox\non-mp3 tagger.exe"

Was Quarantined by Norton. 

My desk to shortcut link can't find it now.  So I installed the Beta  V6    ver 8 just now, but it does not load down a fresh copy of the Non mp3 tagger.

Do I need to completely UNINSTALL and then re-install or can I just download a fresh copy of the Tagger???

Barcrest

The non mp3 tagger should be included with the latest beta? I'll double check that is there for the next release.

Jukebox Stats...

Pinball

I just installed the latest Beta.  During the install I saw:

non-mp3 tagger.exe   being extracted...

It is not in the etouch directory with the other new files that were downloaded with this install.

I do not know if NORTON 360 has that file name flagged somehow and is doing something with it..

Then I copied the version 522  non-mp3 tagger.exe from the V5 directory to the ETouch directory. 

At this point I could see the V6 Beta version of       non-mp3 tagger.exe

in the ETouch directory.

I reran, re-installed the latest Beta version.

Again I saw:

non-mp3 tagger.exe   being extracted...

Then I checked the ETOUCH directory.  The V522 version I copied there was gone and the V6 Beta version that was extracted was not there at all.

Any Ideas.??

Can someone e-mail me the

non-mp3 tagger.exe     file from the latest Beta .

I would like to see if I can download it successfully from the email attachment or if Norton will zap it.

Pinball at aol dot com

Thanks.

Barcrest

Looks like a false posative, as my mcafee doesn't see an issue. Nore does symantec at work as i downloaded and scanned it there to double check.

Jukebox Stats...

Pinball

You are probably right. But I can't get the tagger when I install a new version.

I guess Norton is wiping it out. 

Cary_B

I don't use Norton, but check to see if it has a Virus Vault, and see if it is there.  (By the way, Norton is your problem, it IS a virus.  ;D)