News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Two computers on a network: both contributing to one queue?

Started by fat-johnny, March 15, 2008, 04:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fat-johnny

Inspired by the other "network" thread, I wanted to start one of my own.  It is a feature I have been wishing for out of ANY jukebox software, and I think Barry can make it happen.

When I have larger summer parties, I have a PC in the basement running Freebox, connected to the speakers in my basement.  I also have another (networked) PC setup outside connected to a secondary stereo system outside.  Obviously, people in the basement are adding music to that queue, and the outdoor people are adding music to their own queue.

Is there any way to save the queue to someplace on the network, and have both PC's contributing to the same queue??  That way the same music is playing in the basement and the outdoors at the same time.  I think it may get tricky with two PC's tryng to access the same MP3 file at the same time, but maybe Freebox can look ahead, see whats next in the queue, and copy it to C:\temp and then when the time comes, play it from c:\temp??

Can anybody else see a need for this functionality?

Barry:  Give it some thought, and lemme know if it's even possible.
Thanks,
FJ 

eist1

fat-johnny,

I believe Barry added something like this awhile back... Look under the LED Sign settings in the Options screen and you will see Master and Terminal settings at the bottom (at least it's there in V4 beta). I don't have any idea how to configure it, but someone on here must know, I have never used that functionality. But at least what you are asking for should be available.

Here are a few posts I found on the Master/Terminal setup

http://www.freeboxjukebox.com/Forum/index.php?topic=257.0

http://www.freeboxjukebox.com/Forum/index.php?topic=144.0

Barcrest

Yes it does work...

Set up the master machine as you would a normal set up of freebox.
Then for the terminal you need to copy the same libraries across from the master, so you need the drive mappings to be the same.
I just shared the drive/s on the master and mapped them on my terminals to be the same letters.

It does have limitations... You can't see the now playing info on the terminals and you can't alter the volume but you can add songs which the main thing i could see this being used for.

I *COULD* expand on this to support now playing info on the terminals should this be something that was wanted but i no longer have my network set up to test this...
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Barcrest

*UPDATE*
You also have to have the directory shared where freebox is installed on the master machine and then put that path into the terminal machine using drive mapping. This is so it can update the queue, i forgot about that...

Jukebox Stats...

squirrellydw

Quote from: Barcrest on March 18, 2008, 01:38:33 PM
Yes it does work...

Set up the master machine as you would a normal set up of freebox.
Then for the terminal you need to copy the same libraries across from the master, so you need the drive mappings to be the same.
I just shared the drive/s on the master and mapped them on my terminals to be the same letters.

It does have limitations... You can't see the now playing info on the terminals and you can't alter the volume but you can add songs which the main thing i could see this being used for.

I *COULD* expand on this to support now playing info on the terminals should this be something that was wanted but i no longer have my network set up to test this...

I would like to see this expanded to support now playing and volume.  I plan on using this feature in a few months.
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

Barcrest

Quote from: squirrellydw on March 19, 2008, 02:05:26 AM
I would like to see this expanded to support now playing and volume.  I plan on using this feature in a few months.

There is always one LOL.... Well it will not be in the initial V4 release if i want to get it out any time soon. Probably a V4.x release down the line. I need to set my network up in my room (Space is tight) so i can test it works as it should...

Jukebox Stats...

squirrellydw

No hurry, when I am ready I will start asking/bugging :)
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

eist1

Barry,

Tried messing with the Master/Terminal setup here at work and can't seem to get it to work. What I did was shared my Music drive on my master pc (which is drive G) I then mapped the G drive on my Terminal PC to that drive on the master (so both see the music folder as G) I then copied the record.* files from my master PC to the Terminal PC. To test functioanlity, I then played a song from the terminal PC (still setup as Master) and it did play the songs off of the shared drive, so the drive mapping was good). I then shared the Freebox directory on the Master PC and then mapped it to drive V: on the Terminal PC. I then changed the setting to Terminal on the Terminal PC and just put V: in the box below (since V: is the Freebox directory) (also tried using full path of Freebox directory \\MasterPC\Freebox). I then went into the Album view and tried adding a song to the queue and when I did Freebox crashes/shutsdown, and no song is added to the Master queue. Let me know if I was doing something wrong, or this possibly might not be functioning, as you said you need to get your network up to test this. Thanks

Barcrest

I think it was because you were missing a trailing \ try V:\ and see if that works, failing that i can take a look.

Jukebox Stats...

eist1

Nope, Freebox still crashes when trying to add a song to the queue or play a song. Not a big deal, I was just trying to mess with that function. Take a look when you get a chance. Thanks

Barcrest

Will do, need to get my juke up in my room so i can play with it again. I'm away from home as of tonight until sunday night so maybe once i get back.

Jukebox Stats...