Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Etouch slow to open album

Started by Nforce2, September 10, 2015, 11:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nforce2

I'm running the full software version 9.0.14. I'm currently running it on a HP N54l microserver running Win 10 32bit connected to a 23" touchscreen monitor and played via SPDIF on a surround sound home cinema setup, with the music being streamed over high speed LAN from my home server. Everything works perfectly except there is a lag (up to 10 seconds from initial touch until the album opens)when selecting albums from within Etouch.Any ideas on what I can do to improve the response times? I have 8GB RAM and can install the 64bit version of Windows, but don't think this will improve things as Etouch is an x86 program. The microserver's CPU (AMD Turion 2.2Ghz) should be fast enough?

Mark Norville

First things first I would say to try the latest version 9.0.1.5 and then see if that is any better. I would say maybe try that step first and then see if it is better.
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Nforce2

Cheers Mark, yeah...I'll give that a try . I thought at first that maybe it's due to the amount of music that I have , but at around 20k tracks I don't think that this would be an issue.

By the way, no other programs are running as this is a dedicated jukebox pc and I've also got an AMD graphics card installed in order to take the load off the onboard graphics.

Barcrest

It is trying to get the RSS feed, if you get the latest beta and then turn off the RSS feed you should be good to go. I have 250,000 audio tracks and 9,000 Videos so it certainly isn't down to the size of the library.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

Quote from: Nforce2 on September 10, 2015, 01:41:26 PM
By the way, no other programs are running as this is a dedicated jukebox pc

I just read that UCFK ME if you are using it for a dedicated Jukebox get rid of Windows 10 for a massive start. Install Windows 7 32 bit if you can rather than 64 bit. At the moment Windows 10 is still full of bugs, trust me I was a beta tester and had the full version first, it was good to start with but then it went slow as hell.

I am now back on Windows 7 on both computers, main computer 64 bit and jukebox 32 bit. The software seems to run better on the 32 bit system than it does on the 64 bit although I have just put mine back together and transferred the skin that I am working on and something seems to have gone wrong but I think I know what the problem is, I copied a folder of graphics and cvr files across so the albums do not match any more.

I seriously would recommend getting rid of windows 10 it needs at least six months before it will ever get stable, windows 7 is supported until 2020 so another 5 years time, by that time Windows 10 might even be Windows 11.

Honestly get rid of Windows 10 and go back to Windows 7.

HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY HONESTLY
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Nforce2

Thanks for the replies.:)

I have RSS turned off already so the issue isn't there. I do, however, have the online settings ticked so that the users can email me  track requests. Prior to installing Win 10 I had Win 7 Ultimate 32bit installed and had the exact same issue with response times. Is anyone else here having slow response times running similar hardware?
Scrolling through the albums is very fluid, the slowdown only occurs when I select an album.

PS. I kinda like Win 10, I've not had any issues running it on this or my dedicated htpc and will be updating the rest of the pc's/laptops over the coming weeks. Maybe I've been lucky! :D

Mark Norville

Ok so your next step then would be to turn off email requests and see if that works. I would say pretty much for certain unless you are static supplying a jukebox (which you have shot yourself in the foot with as you are supposed to have a commercial license to do so)

I will give you an example

Joe Bloggs walks up to a jukebox in a bar pissed as a fart and requests It's Raining Men by the weather sisters. It is your only request for that song, the bloke is probably sober by the next morning.

I cannot see it being 100% the reason but I would imagine that if it keeps stalling wanting to send you an email just in case someone requests one song and then sends an email, it will be taking up a lot of time.

If you turn that off and give that a go, as I will say something that I have found :

Possible bug report : I have found that sometimes although I have removed a track and then deleted it and it is in the recyle bin, etouch will find that track although it is only supposed to scan a directory. Yet it will scan my recycle as well for some reason. It does not seem to have any issues if say for example you have a hard drive dedicated to say MP3's or Music Videos, it will see them as C: or D: etc etc and default to them every time.

On my test computer it will keep defaulting to C: and then I have to tell it where the directories are once more.

Nforce2

Cheers Mark.

Just to be clear...the jukebox is running in my own home and the Users are my wife and kids. I showed them the request feature so that they can email me the requests rather than tell me as I invariably will forget!

Just double checked and I am running the latest version of Etouch. I tried disabling all online settings and the issue remains. Checked task manager and all seems normal CPU load is around 20%,RAM load hits 50%ish. HDD is a mechanical drive with 50% space unused, access and read timings normal.

Mark Norville

Ok my next suggestion is try another program across your network that uses wireless e.g a program that uses C++ or Pyhton or a modern programmg language sorry I still hate VB.

Nforce2

Hi Mark.
I have installed a MAME emulator and it can access files without any problem over the LAN. I'll install Kodi and see what happens.

Mark Norville

I think that I have developed your problem tonight, I can't see this being related but how are you connecting your monitor? My monitor has two inputs, one a normal standard connector but that stopped working and then when I was trying to use another computer to test it one, it snapped off so I had to use a dvi connector. The computer is an i5 and everything is internal e.g no external hard drives, yet I transferred the skin across that I am working on, but I think that I copied my CYR files as well so it would be c:\test here but e:\ on my jukebox. I am suffering from freezing trying to access an album but that might be from corrupt cvr files, so my plan of attack later on today is remove all the CVR files and just clicking on update library rather than generate.

If I press escape on my keyboard it does nothing after a while so I have to press ctrl, alt, delete to bring up task manager to close it down. it has only started doing this since I had to remove the computer out and had it turned off for a few days, all hard drives was out as well.

eTouch seems to be funny on different systems from my experience, and also funny on different skins.

Ok it is just  ucking weird full stop.

I had A-Ha Cast in Steel as a new album, I have my albums to show as new for 6 days but even when I went to the year it was not showing, then when I found it suddenly now it is saying various artist.

I have just checked the tag and still saying A-Ha as artist and album artist.

I have 11 albums all showing as A-Ha but suddenly this one goes missing, saying various artists?

I can find it if a I do a search for cast, and it shows A-Ha, but if I go to genre of pop music, then go through A when I get to A-Ha the first album is Hunting High And Low, even if I go to the year 2015 I find no record of A-Ha.

Bed for me 2:30 almost and too late for banging my head against a brick wall the neighbours only complain lol

Barcrest

If you are getting a delay for the alum listing to appear after clicking on the cover it is 100% the RSS feed. Are you using the latest version (The beta?) That is the only version where you can turn off the artist RSS feed properly. You may have found another bug but try disabling the online stuff and see if it works then. I am pretty sure it works in the latest beta.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Nforce2

Thanks again guys, I'm not running the very latest beta so I'll try that first.

Nforce2

Quote from: Barcrest on September 11, 2015, 11:38:48 AM
If you are getting a delay for the alum listing to appear after clicking on the cover it is 100% the RSS feed. Are you using the latest version (The beta?) That is the only version where you can turn off the artist RSS feed properly. You may have found another bug but try disabling the online stuff and see if it works then. I am pretty sure it works in the latest beta.

Installed the latest beta and made sure online settings are turned off, but the lag remains when opening albums.

Mark Norville

What skin are you using out of interest?