Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Randomization Feature Idea

Started by wlowman, November 08, 2009, 07:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlowman

While I like the ability to control what gets played random (I filter out genres I personally don't care for), I think a great feature would be to play random songs based on the Genre of songs played in history.  This would allow the discovering of new music that is of the same style that gets played often.

Just a thought  ;D  If I have more, I'll be sure to throw them out there.  Great software!

Willie wants your MP3s

draginit

dont mind me,,just a bit confused on the idea...
-does that defeat the purpose of the filters?

example..you been filtering random for rock,metal, hip-hop, and jazz. new people use the juke and pick songs from classical, new age, and trip-hop..  so now random plays these 7 genres based on your filters and the new list of songs from history, eventually the history will have atleast one song of every genre and now you are back to random with all genres..no?

-or was there something i was reading wrong,...
Just when you thought it not possible....TwelveNinedy

wlowman

Quote from: draginit on November 09, 2009, 02:17:35 AM
dont mind me,,just a bit confused on the idea...
-does that defeat the purpose of the filters?

example..you been filtering random for rock,metal, hip-hop, and jazz. new people use the juke and pick songs from classical, new age, and trip-hop..  so now random plays these 7 genres based on your filters and the new list of songs from history, eventually the history will have atleast one song of every genre and now you are back to random with all genres..no?

-or was there something i was reading wrong,...

Sort off... unless I'm not understanding how random works...

My thoughts were, let's say Rock is most often played.  If you go by history, then you will only get the songs that have already been played, albeit they are all Rock.  If you went by from history to discover the genre you would then have the chance to expose new music to the listener they might also like.

Now, If I understood your point correctly, and someone played classical, and maybe country you would end up with 2 new genres therefore you would quickly cover the rainbow, putting every song in the mix.  However, I was thinking the logic behind it would work differently.  Let me clarify a bit more...

1 - Lets say you play 100 rock songs, 2 country and 10 classical.

2 - The random logic could (theoretically) work initially just like playing random by history; "lets find a random song that has already been played"

3 - But then instead of playing the actual song, find the genre of that song and then find a random song within the same genre, unconcerned about whether it's been played in history before or not.

4 - So if you played 100 rocks songs, 2 country, and 10 classical, ideally your ratio over time of what has been played in history would be represented in random play mode, by genre.

I probably made this WAY to confusing - if so, I'll just go hide somewhere  ;D
Willie wants your MP3s

Barcrest

I know what you want... Play from most popular genres. So i would need to compile a list of the most popular genres. Let me look into it.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...