Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Search Title if punctuation?

Started by wwwombat, December 23, 2011, 01:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwwombat

How are you supposed to search for TITLES that contain punctuation again? I thought you just didn't bother with the punctuation since the on-screen keyboard doesn't allow anything but a letter, number or SPACE.

I tried putting in "I CANT" to try to find "I Can't Help Myself" and also "YOUNG WILD" to find "Young, Wild & Free" by Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa but nether returned a hit (and they are there and selectable if I search by artist etc.)

I also can't get a successful ARTIST search for R.E.M. (entered as REM) although I do get Delta Goodrem, Supremems, The, "Jeremih etc.) and would only find "Earth, Wind & Fire" if I searched on "EARTH" and not "EARTH WIND"

Also is it a phrase search or individual word search? For example should "YOUNG FREE" and "YOUNG WILD" as a search under title both return "Young, Wild & Free" (I suspect not based on some other searches I've tried... i.e. "I CAN" and "CAN I" return completely different results)

Barcrest

The search matches the phrase you type in so "can i" and "i can" will return different results. As for puntuation currently there is no provision but I can see if i can add it if enough people want it.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

wwwombat

Well... now I'm confused. As per threads like :-

http://www.freeboxjukebox.com/Forum/index.php?topic=3154.0

and

http://www.freeboxjukebox.com/Forum/index.php?topic=3740.0

I was under the impression you "stripped" records of non-alphanumeric items since you couldn't input them and yet still honour the search.

If you've gone away from this idea then I feel the on-screen keyboard needs, at the very least a period (.) and an apostrophe (') since they occur readily in band names and track titles (which means every skin would need to be altered right?)

Whilst I personally could work around the rest, I'm sure other people could potentially also desire other keys, the most notable probably being comma (,) ampersand (&) and even parentheses (()) ;o) and exclamation mark(!)

Barcrest

You can strip non alpha characters when you generate the DB.

Jukebox Stats...

wwwombat

Ah... I didn't see that option slip into the config in what appears to be version 7.0.16.

But, to be pedantic, what it does mean is that the words are show 'stripped' on the SEARCH RESULTS (if you click through they show correctly)... a little thing I know, but slightly distressing to us anal-retentive people.  ;)

It also seems to therefore "lose" the connection between audio and video files... i.e. if I search on the word "don't" (entered as "dont" obviously) then I can find and select Icehouse's "Don't Believe Anymore"... however I DO also have the video for this but the "video available" button doesn't show on the track's audio page. (and, yes I selected the button to strip both audio and video when generating via config7)... this only affects "stripped" connections... and title/artist not having anything stripped still shows the connection.

And whilst I can now search for R.E.M. (REM) or Youssou N'Dour (YOUSSOU NDOUR) in an artist search, I cannot find T-Spoon (TSPOON) or D-Ream (DREAM) which makes me wonder if all non-alphanumerics are stripped (well... looking into the records.rec file they are and aren't respectively for both cases... it looks like you retain such non-alphas like & and -)

It also appears to have a knock-on affect to the CHARTS function, where suddenly those Artists/Tracks with punctuation show up as not being selectable/not in my catalog (but they obviously are). A reminder too that I use EXACT MATCH here as well to get EXACTLY the song I want as discussed in previous posts.

On a different tangent, what would it take for me to alter my version of the keyboard to accept more characters and have them honoured?

Barcrest

Quote from: wwwombat on January 12, 2012, 11:24:40 PM

On a different tangent, what would it take for me to alter my version of the keyboard to accept more characters and have them honoured?

This involves changing the code to add support for these non-alpha buttons.

Jukebox Stats...

wwwombat

So... what are you telling me?

1) I'm screwed?

or

2) You'll look at providing a bigger screen keyboard with extra keys or allow customisation?

or

3) You'll now strip hypens and possibly ampersands, and investigate how to retain chart and audio/video file matching?

Barcrest

At the moment 1 but then 2 & 3.

I will look at expanding the keyboard and removing the other characters in the strip non alpha.

Jukebox Stats...

wwwombat

Okay...Thanks... I'll go back to not stripping the characters in the short term so I can get the matching back.