News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

No. of Album Covers on a 1024x768 skin - Feedback Please :)

Started by berrywell, October 21, 2016, 08:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berrywell

Hopefully I might get some feedback on this subject.

I was just wondering what people think is an optimum amount of album covers to display on the standard 4:3, 1024x768 skin resolution?
I have seen (& updated) skins with an many as 18 on screen, which I personally found quite busy.

The amounts I've been looking at are:- 6, 8, 9, 10 & 12. Although I feel even 12 starts to look crowded on such a small screen resolution.
What do other people think on this subject?

Mark Norville

My view is skin for yourself, worry about others later. The main thing really is the search function, I personally like bigger album covers which for me means fewer albums. I think that I had 6 covers on my 4:3 display all big covers I could have had smaller and more, but it would not have looked good.

Even on a 32 inch screen I have got 8 album covers but then I have a lot of navigation showing as well, each design means that you can add a few more or a few less, however if you stick to the same design all of the time, then you will have the same amount of albums all the time.

Personally I think 6 to 8 covers if they are big covers and you have decent covers but if you have shit covers e.g the quality is too low then having big displays will show up poor album covers.

Again having big covers means that you can be free on the size  of the artist and album label rather than having to cram everything in.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

ajs1544

My personal view is for more as you can view more artists per screen when you want to decide or look for something when your not sure  what to play(i.e you dont know what you want).

I have my SxxLxxS set to maximum cover view which is 28.My resolution is 1024x768 and never have an issue with it looking busy at all.

If you know what you want you use the jump to alphabet letters or search facility to find exactly what you want if you already know. So for me personally the more shown on the screen for covers the better.

ecbrad

I've been using a 4:30 ratio screen at 1024 x 768 for years. 12 is the best for that size. People love it. Any more and too busy, any less, its sparse and if you have a decent sized collection can take some time to scroll though without jump to letter or slider.

Brad

Barcrest

For that resolution i think 3x3 so 9 covers probably looks the best, since using the tablet with the wider screen i have not used a 4:3 skin.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

berrywell

Thank you all for your replies  :)

I was just trying to get some ideas for a layout.

I will try experimenting with album frames to see if I can offer more than one cover layout style, unfortunately the frame files themselves don't allow for png files, only gif's. I can understand this from the animated point of view but it would have been nice to have allowed both. The quality of a gif frame tends to remind me of the old 1990s style websites.

As I have an unexpected morning to myself, I'm now going to see what I can come up with.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts.

Regards

Tel.

Mark Norville

Hi Tel,

You do not need album frames to do more than one cover file, you can do as many just change the covers when you load up. So you could just  have a black background and whack as many albums  as you want on.

Still good luck with the new layout, weekend off for me much needed house work and washing, or that is  my plan. 

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.