News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Design ideas needed if you could spare me a few minutes...

Started by Rob_Hendley, March 13, 2010, 04:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob_Hendley

Hi guys,

I have reached a bit of a design block where I have a few ideas, but have little confidence in them.

This is what I have so far:

My original idea was to have speaker mesh on the top bit which is why there are three holes for speakers.  However, that has changed and I am now just having speakers in the bottom.  I am thinking now a small 6 or 7 inch screen in the centre for visualisations or videos and one of those round static discs either side of it.  It would also incorporate the IR receiver for the remote control

I was also looking at a scrolling LED sign, but they are a bit expensive and I am not keen on the look.

Also, I need to finish the bottom off by adding some kind of skirting board.  I was thinking the same white marble effect as the middle, but without the stave lines.  Maybe just a band of 25mm polished aluminium strip at the top and bottom, leaving the white in between?  This will match the middle part and not make it appear so out of place amongst the black and silver

I have a brand design for front of the speaker cloth which I am going to have CNC machines from aluminium and polished up, but under that I was thinking of polsihing up some 5mm aluminium rod and putting it around the front cloth part, vertically at say 4 inch intervals.  This would form kind of a protective bars effect around it.  I think this would look cool, but not sure if it would affect the speakers behind it?

Any ideas or opinions you have would be great... along with any constructive criticism.

Thanks for your time!
Rob

Norman Marshall

Personaly Rob,
                  I would leave it the way it is, But, I would have another monitor on the top for video playback, the three holes you have made for the speakers i would put flashing LED's that change colour and right at the bottom where the silver plate is i would have a bloody big speaker, unless you wire up a surround sound system for it in which case you won't need a big speaker. Also i wouldnt us e a IR remote because you have to be standing in front of the receiver for it to work properly, i would use a RF remote because it doesnt matter where your standing the radio frequency will still reach the receiver
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

caesar

Hello Rob,
Nice job on the cabinet :beer

If you were planning a 2.1 stereo system. Then just use the top LH & RH holes for speakers. Have the subwoofer firing downward onto the floor from bottom of the cabinet. This way you don't cut up that nice lower front cover.

I'd use the top center speaker hole for a LCD video monitor.

As far as the bottom skirt, I think a brushed aluminum or chrome like piece would look nice.

I like the polished tubes in front of the grill. Reminds me of a 1952 Seeburg. Maybe a color changing unit built in at either end of the tube holder (aiming toward the grill).

Here's an emblem idea for the front lower grill/cover (see pic)  

Thanks!

Rob_Hendley

Caesar, I like that emblem.

The silvery-grey front part on the bottom half is cloth and I am going to fit cabinet speakers behind it.

i like the idea of the colour change unit.  I could fit it in underneath the marble effect music stave shining down on to the silvery cloth and polished bars?

The whole bottom half of the juke is empty, so all my speakers, amp etc will go in there.

caesar

Hello,
  If you decide to go with the vertical tubes over the grill, your grill mounted emblem may appear to be crowded.
Since your planning on putting all the speakers in the lower cabinet, how about a blacklite marque on top?  ;D

I must have missed reading it, what is the marble like material made from?

Rob_Hendley

It is marble effect vinyl old pal - over wood.  

I thought about something snazzy like you have pictured there, but not sure whether it would fit with the rest of the box.

Im gonna do something with that top bit, whatever that is, based on black behind perspex.  That means I can have a small vis screen behind it and my remote control receiver.  Only problem is that the perspex will have to curve round the corner, so I may have to turn the angle aluminium the opposite way to help keep it in place.  Either that or take the curved part out (with the three holes in) and make it flat instead of curved.

Hmm, decisions decisions...

caesar

Hello,
  I really like the marble effect. ;D
The perspex edges can be bent with a heat gun and some 1-2 inch iron pipe to shape the curve.
Keep up the good work... :beer

Oh no !  :o I'm getting that itch to build again....

Rob_Hendley

Hmm, so I just use a heat gun and warm it slowly so as not to blister it yeah?

if you had thin flexible perspex, would you clamp it around the wood and use the heatgun to mould it?

Barcrest

Have you thought about adding a betabrite to the marquee area up top?
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Rob_Hendley

Yeah I did old chief.  Once the 5.1 sound system went out the window, that left me with two choices:

1.  A betabrite system

2. Static Electric discs left and right with a second screen in the centre for visualisations

Those betabrite screens are a tad expensive though and I am not that keen on the idea.  That left me with the screen and static discs.

However, on looking at Caesar's idea I kinda like that aswell. Having a vis screen in the centre with a design around it, backlit with colours.  Yeah I like that

caesar

Hello,
  When heating the perspex, Don't heat it while it's clamped to bare or painted wood, The wood may char or catch fire.  :o
  Cover the wood form with thin sheet metal to protect the wood. Don't force the bend, heat slowly & evenly. Another way is to put your metal covered form & perspex in an OLD oven and heat it up slowly. Once the perspex forms to the curve, remove from oven, and let it cool overnite. Don't breath the fumes!

A small toaster oven may work if you bend one end at a time...
In the US we call it "Plexiglass", basically it's the same material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHLS3P820ZM

Thanks!

What would be the dimensions of the mini video LCD?

Rob_Hendley

Ah I see.  I think that is a good idea.

I reckon I could fit a 7 inch 4:3 screen in there or an 8.5 inch widescreen. 

HolyDiver01