Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Album art resolution

Started by Zazen, June 18, 2009, 12:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zazen

Forgive me if this was already answered somewhere, but what are the dimensions used for the large-view cover art? The old V2 used something like 320x320 (so all my images were resized to that) but the new V5 seems to be a lot bigger. I'd like to run all my album covers through a resize tool for the precise dimensions used so the juke doesn't have to slow down doing it on-the-fly

Thanks

fordman

cover.jpg = 400 X 400 or lower.
coversmall.jpg 170 X 170 is the max

I use http://www.irfanview.com/ to resize my pics. You can batch re-size them too! Best of all, It's FREE!  ;D

:beer

Fordman

Zazen

Thanks, but I measured a screenshot found that the large images seem to be 440x440. Irfanview is the shit, I agree.

If anyone is interested, here's my no-hassle way of resizing images. I name all cover images I download "originalcover.jpg", and this one-line batch file runs every night at 5AM via windows scheduler:

for /R Z:\ %%I IN (hjhjkhjk) DO "C:\program files\irfanview\i_view32.exe" "%%~dpIoriginalcover.jpg" /resize=(440,440) /resample /convert="%%~dpIcover.jpg" /silent

It makes a copy of every originalcover.jpg and calls it cover.jpg, resizing it to 440x440.
Z:\ is where my music is
C:\program files\irfanview\i_view32.exe is the path to the irfanview program

Barcrest

You will also want to generate a smaller cover for the album page view. 170x170 is the best for the smaller images i find.

Quotefor /R Z:\ %%I IN (hjhjkhjk) DO "C:\program files\irfanview\i_view32.exe" "%%~dpIcover.jpg" /resize=(170,1700) /resample /convert="%%~dpIcoversmall.jpg" /silent

It makes a copy of every cover.jpg and calls it coversmall.jpg, resizing it to 170x170.

I amended your bat file, the above should work. Does this go through every cover and do the resize even if it has already done it once?
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

bzpilot

Quote from: Zazen on June 28, 2009, 06:34:13 PM
Thanks, but I measured a screenshot found that the large images seem to be 440x440. Irfanview is the shit, I agree.

Yes, I also calculated this out when the program first went to two sepeartes cover art images.

You are correct with the larger image being near 440x440 (I think I came up with around 445x445) with the now standard BnB screen size of 1024x768.  At this same resolution the small cover art on the main page is currently displayed at approximately 170x130 give or take a couple pixels useing a 4x3 (12 album cover) setup.

Since the standard cover art you'll come across is 500x500 - it was recommended you keep this size (as when this is displayed it will be the only art on the page, so there isn't a concern with the size/speed of loading.  Then the recommendation for the small coverart was 170x170, which would be the minimum size without losing resolution and still keeping the paging as fast as possible (being that 12 images need to load for each page displaying the  small cover art).

Large Cover = 500x500
Small Cover = 170x170

Zazen

Quote from: Barcrest on June 28, 2009, 07:16:37 PM
You will also want to generate a smaller cover for the album page view. 170x170 is the best for the smaller images i find.

Quotefor /R Z:\ %%I IN (hjhjkhjk) DO "C:\program files\irfanview\i_view32.exe" "%%~dpIcover.jpg" /resize=(170,1700) /resample /convert="%%~dpIcoversmall.jpg" /silent

It makes a copy of every cover.jpg and calls it coversmall.jpg, resizing it to 170x170.

I amended your bat file, the above should work. Does this go through every cover and do the resize even if it has already done it once?

The freebox config tool has been doing the small album covers for me so I haven't thought of this, but maybe I'll start! Watch out using that one you edited though, it says 170x1700 ;P

It does do the resize even on images that have already been done. Lately I have been downloading and replacing my cover images with bigger ones that are at least 440x440. When I'm done doing that I'll probably have it stop running the job every night and just make it part of the when-I-add-an-album routine. It's fairly quick though, 500 albums in about 2 minutes.

Quote from: bzpilot on June 28, 2009, 07:24:18 PM
Since the standard cover art you'll come across is 500x500 - it was recommended you keep this size (as when this is displayed it will be the only art on the page, so there isn't a concern with the size/speed of loading.  Then the recommendation for the small coverart was 170x170, which would be the minimum size without losing resolution and still keeping the paging as fast as possible (being that 12 images need to load for each page displaying the  small cover art).

Where do you get your cover art? Most of the stuff I find is some other wacky resolution. Some of the art I find is downright humongous, like 3000x3000, so I think it'll probably still be worthwhile to do the resize. Plus I trust Irfanview to make a nicer-looking image than freebox (no offense!).

bzpilot

QuoteWhere do you get your cover art? Most of the stuff I find is some other wacky resolution. Some of the art I find is downright humongous, like 3000x3000, so I think it'll probably still be worthwhile to do the resize. Plus I trust Irfanview to make a nicer-looking image than freebox (no offense!).

If your looking to search manually for it here are two free sites that are pretty good:

www.walmart.com/music - (good selection and everything here is 500x500)
www.amazon.com/music - (good selection but you'll run into some random sizes occasionally)