Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Scroll Issue

Started by huey, May 09, 2014, 07:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huey

I have an issue with scrolling - I am wondering if it can be corrected in a new release...

I have a large number of 'albums' that are grouped by year, for example:
1970 Rock
1971 Rock, etc.
1970 Country
1971 Country, etc.
2014 04 Country Promo
2014 03 Country Promo, etc.

there are literally at least one hundred 'albums' of this type.

My problem is that due to the large number of albums that begin with a number, and therefore appear in the listing before the letter A, when I try to use the scroll on the right hand side to quickly jump to a letter, such as the letter B, for example, the scroll will take me right back to the very beginning.  In fact, the first letter I can access via the scroll is the letter K!  This makes it very difficult to scroll through artists beginning with A through K...

I am not sure what the algorithym you use for the scroll is, but I am wondering if it could be more literal - when you tap near the letter A, that is exactly where you go...

Does this make sense??

Barcrest

Do you have any albums that start with unusual characters? Something is making it see the first letter of your library as K
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

huey

huey

I will add this - before I added all the folders by year, the scroll worked very well.  I could go right to each letter and it worked perfectly.  Once I added all the folders and rebuilt the database, now it doesn't work properly.

Barcrest

Do any of them have a leading space? If you open up the config you will be able to see more clearly as it loads the albums up into that in advanced mode. If you are still not seeing it you can send me your records,rec and records.cvr in a zip and i'll take a look for you.

Jukebox Stats...

huey

hi - haven't forgotten about you!  just haven't had time to dig into this further.  I just re-generated my database last night (takes quite awhile).  i will recheck everything tonight.  If it still appears the same, I will send the files as you request.

thanks!

Scott

Barcrest

E-Touch builds a list of positions in the DB where each letter starts. An odd character can throw this out and break the jump to letter function, chances are if you have an issue with the album name it's one of the new year grouped albums you added.

Jukebox Stats...

huey

OK, I rechecked everything and it all seemed to be organized/tagged correctly.  I then rebuilt the database, and then reran the update database function.  It took several days!  I had over 52,000 files.  It now works as expected!  So, maybe I just did something wrong the first time I built the database.

one follow-up question - what is the difference between 'generate' and 'update' database?  I did both this time.  Generate first, then update.

After it was all complete, I discovered one album tagged incorrectly.  I then fixed it, and ran update, but it did not update that particular album.

thanks for your continued support!

ok - one more, is there anything I can do to eliminate lag?  I assume it is because I have so many files and they are on a network server.

Barcrest

I just use generate it's more reliable than update. Update was supposed to improve the speed if just updating but it's never been great.

I have 250,000+ tracks and i can do a generate in less than 2 hours with a local 4tb usb drive.

Are you accessing that drive via cat 5 or wifi, if it's wifi then it will be really slow it's just the way it is.

Jukebox Stats...