Previous topic - Next topic

ratzuk

FREEbox to me means free not $25!!!  >:(

Comments.....

netcat

You are entirely correct.

I vote we change the name to.

"I am a cheap bastard and want my cake and to eat it too"

I understand the older versions are still free, but bottom line is this.....

"If you want a quality product you must be willing to pay the price"

There are still at least two commercial jukeboxes out there  (THAT SUCK) I know cause I paid for both of them, and they are a hell of a lot more than $25, I would suggest you go buy one of those.

chablis97

ratzuk,
I think when you have been around this forum for a while and realize how much time and effort the sole author (Barry) puts into this wonderful piece of software, you will be more than willing to pay the $25.  I have been involved since version 1 and I have contributed on three occasions as a result of of Barry's efforts, and I still feel guilt!  When Barry made it donationware in version 2, some people were ripping him off by paying $1 to get it!  $25 is extremely reasonable.  If Barry sold the code to a company, I hate to think how much Freebox would be. 

There plenty of alternatives, some 'free', most of them commercial, but none as good.  If $25 puts you off Freebox, use one of the others . . . .

kizer

No offense, but the simple fact that I do not see supporter in your name means well. You are not supporting the software, but simply complaining that you will have to contribute later because you haven't yet. So worst case download the heck out of the current release, which by the way I'm hosting for the site because its one of the things I do to support the Jukebox. Do I have to? NO, the author was having some bandwidth issues and I felt I needed to help because I could and wanted to see the author putting his talents into the Jukebox opposed to worrying about making sure the forum was up 24/7 and others where given the chance to download something for free. Nobody gave me a dime for my efforts either, but Barcrest often shows his thanks by asking our opinions on future addons and lets us try things new that he thinks is exciting and/or adds things or changes things because we suggest.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

coffee

It's really sad to see somebody even asking such a question.
Can I suggest a vote on a name change????     ???
Any suggestions???

kizer

Personally everybody knows it as Freebox and I'd personally leave it, but that's just me.

Nobody knows Barcrest future plans and I do not even want to guess. Asking $25 means he's actually getting 12UK bucks. No offense, but that's sad. In the US 12 wouldn't even buy a pizza. The conversion sucks, but so does complaining about something for nothing.

If that's the case I'm mad at microsoft for not giving me all of their software for free. ;) Sure there is no expectation of it being free, but I want it for free anyways.

Anyways I'm kicking a dead horse. Sure its sad the app is going from being free, asks for donations to a 25 dollar price. Personally donate 25 or whatever before it becomes the way it is and well get the newest version and be in on the bottom while it continues to grow.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

casper

Yes got to agree with kizer. $25 is not much at all when you consider the support you get from barry and the other forum members more often than not you will get a reply to any questions you have.The software itself is the best iv'e used and iv.e tried alot. in barry you have someone who listens to what features people want although he can't accomandate everyone he has added some features that set it apart from other software. personally i think $25 should be the minimum donation but thats just me. 

Barcrest

That post makes me want to charge him $50  ;D That is the kind of attitude that has stopped the software being free, people should think about that.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

spacefractal

I can only agree. You can not really call it free, if it not free. It could been a false markingthing, since new visistors trouch it free when they see on the homepage, but when trying it, they so found out it acutelly cost money. I do have to state it NO wrong to anything to turing this into shareware, and I think it still a nice price.

Other side to know (which is not anything with Freebox to due). I really hate the word "Free Download" for the same reason, which many homepage use, just to found out the software actuelly cost money. It pure false markingthing, if you ask me. It should state "Free Demo" or such instead for more acurate.

Some ideas could been kept the old version 2.2 as freeware and keep its download and do NOT remove it, but its should of course been unspported now, instead only support the new version 3.00 (which of course you should update in 2.2 file to state that).

Even the version 2.2 exists, you can still create the DEMO of version 3 along with v2.2, and you should of course sell v3.0 with it new features, that dosen't exists in 2.2. That is the point to have a chooise to use the unsupported V2 freeware and the supported V3 shareware. Hince the name with Freebox could still exists.

If you need to rename the software to avoiud confusion with new visistors, you might call it "Touch Juke", because your software actuelly is created with Touch screen in mind, and act like a Juke box. You should of couse still use version 3 and still use Freebox as subtitle in some form.

That is mine ideas and yes.

squirrellydw

if you can't afford $25 then you don't need it because you can't afford to buy the music to go with it.
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

kizer

Either way I'll host the files as long as Barcrest listens to me whinning about new features and gives me a good excuse to why my lame brain ideas won't work. Hahaha.

I agree if you can't afford the 25bux then well your not going to be able to afford the CDs nor the other hardware the Jukebox uses.

I do like your idea about 3 versions. Some will still scoff about having to pay, but if they had any idea of what differences there is from 2.20 to 3.00 they would jump on it. The speed alone in 3.00 is insane. The random feature on the album selection is simply insane and I will say is one of my favorites.

netcat

well...
not sure if anyone cares but

Barry mentioned the name JUKETASTIC at some point and time

as a result i registered the domain

and if anyone goes to www.juketastic.com they will end up here, it has been like thois for 6 months and I like the name

spacefractal

JukeTastic: Great name.

Personly here, it's dosen't matter if Freebox should cost money or not and the price of it.

The main point here, its a bad name for signal for new users (which I guess why the original poster wrote that). The word free should NOT been used, if it's not free.

So Change the name to Juke Tastic instead.

Beeks

Hehe    www.itouchtunes.co.uk and .com  registered and owned by me now wouldnt that cause some fuss

;D   anyway BB nice on  about time you made something for all your efforts
"He who has most toys wins"  And i am winning :D

netcat

I agree Barry shoudl be duly compensated for his efforts, personally I have done everythig in my hads to make sure this is the case and I have still not gone bankrupt, bottom line is if you like the prog (Which mot everyoe does)

SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Just FYI Barry was so bummed out on Friday he told me he might be considering discontinuing development alltogether frankly I cannot blame him has his entire existance evolves around a project that generates near to nothing for him.