Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Freebox name = Contradiction

Started by ratzuk, September 02, 2007, 12:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

Netcat, you are one with a old a very good supported users. I wrote what post, because new users may think defficents. That post was his first post (= new user, and he actuelly registred on forum first).

So for markingthing a shareware applications, do not force users to think it a freeware, if it not a free application. Hince it bad name to get new users. So in my eyes free should been free, since it use that word (see with a new users eye).

Freebox was actuelly a great name in both version 1 and version 2. Here donations does not tell here, since you actuelly not forced to do that, but would been great to trouch a donation to get the updates. But it now fuzzed out in version 3, because there would not been have a free version anymore.

And yes, Recently in Denmark (where I live), a fitness store have been catched, which have markedthing a free month training. But they diddent' actuelly state & tell, you have been forced to pay half year training or such that(was about a 150$ fee, actuelly the free training was not free).

So Change Freebox name to JukeTastic instead and use something. JukeTastic is a really great name, and you can still use freebox on its subtitle to let users now it name have been changed).
Still

Barcrest

Legally i can cal it what i want. FREEBOX could refer to the fact you can use free music, like MP3's not paid for music like itunes. If this is an issue i don't mind closing it all down like netcat says, i did tell him i would shut it all down... No skin off my nose, i love this project and i love the users and i feel i owe some of you much more than i have given bt i am thinking of shutting it down. I don't have the time to put up with al this nonsense.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

squirrellydw

I like the freebox name, why change it? 
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

kizer

I posted a long response, but oddly I don't know where it went. Anyways I"ll sum it up to what I said.

Personally. If there is to be a free version then so be it. Release 3.0 and if its a non free version,. those that want the features, speed, and goodness of it will pay for it. Sure some will not simply because they are either cheap or expect something for nothing. Heck tell me I have to pay/donate to use it and I'll gladly do it just for the sake of doing it and saying Thank You for all the efforts and long hours that have gone into it.

Barcrest should take a break and let things roll. Maybe work on a side project and well in so many words clear the air for a bit and just enjoy what hes done for many of us. Do I want the project to fade away and literally die? NO, I will host whatever files Barcrest needs hosted for as long as he is willing to allow me to do so.

Anyways I'm not going to reply to this thread anymore simply because its beginning to annoy me and well I've beat the horse enough while its down.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

spacefractal

Personly I do have donatied with bandwidth (not money) and would still do that. Even Barcrest might have lost his FTP account, you can just ask me to upload eventuelly new versions (includning demo). It even I have my own software (MultiJuke, which exists to Linux as well Windows).

Freebox name can just been misforstood very easy by new users. Those from version 1, is of course newer a problem (includning my self, since I saw that very first post on arcadecontrols.com).

It simply need more explain on the about tab in homepage to explain the name more preciosion to avoid these misforstood things and what the name stood for and why it choosed that.

That it.

draginit

whoa!,  i have been out of the forum for awhile, and couldnt believe someone actually complained about it. obviously he didnt take 2 minutes to see what freebox has to offer. i definitly do not want to see barry lose interest! as this is the best jukebox software around hands down!!  i have been using this pretty much since his first versions and would have donated generously then with all the bugs and the name FREEbox. personally i like the name. it flows nicely, said slow n low--"freebox jukebox"
Barry, please whatever you do, dont lose interest in the project! Its great and most of us really appreciate your efforts! i would like to be one to show more support and participate more in the forum but my job......jobs requires too much of my time it seems.   thanks for the great program.
Just when you thought it not possible....TwelveNinedy

Barcrest

Hopefully i will be able to bust my own nuts tonight and make some headway on something i have been thinking about. I need to get back to working on the jukebox....
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

casper

Hi barry just given another donation to show how much i appreciate your hard work. by far the best software iv'e tried and feel if you were to keep it going will only get better.  whatever you decide to do thanks...

spacefractal

otherwice good luck to selling :D, hoping you still improve your app.

surf

This is one great program, and Barcrest really seems to go out of his way to put in just about every feature that anyone asks him to... 

I'm going to chip in (finally) because as long as the development of this "box" continues, I want to be there to see it... The V3 is looking sharp!

Have a good one...

netcat

yes agreead about the whole dead horse beating comment.

I think this might be resoked very simply.

The last version of freebox 2 (that was freeware) Continues beeing freeware

From there on there is a Enforced doantion of (whatever Barry deems appropriate)

and with that said

Wham, Bam Thank you maam

Touchscreen07

Having used Freebox for a while now, and donated twice I feel the need to add my little bit to this thread.

Barry works really hard to keep this project running, and as mentioned before makes next to nothing from it. That's pure commitment! Others on here do there bit as well, hosting the site/files and other bits like writing the manual all add to the commitment.

I think it's more polite to say, rather than paying for this product, what you are infact doing is paying for all the time and effort that has been put into it so far while it was free.

Also, on the name change, keep it Freebox. Thats the name, just coz it has free in it, should not imply anything. Also, when people see how good it is, they will pay for it, and appreciate the effort and hard work that's gone to make it what it is. $25 ?? I would pay more for other, lesser, jukebox software....And remember, that would come with zero to basic support too!

I don't know any software developer that makes nothing from his work, offers endless support and is available on MSN as well !!! $25, thats a bargain in my book!

spacefractal

hey, Chris talked about "Freedom Jukebox" in his thread at arcadecontrols.com because he want to have a new name to his software (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=71185.0).

Freedom Jukebox would suit so very good because it sound very simular with the name Freebox (one letter change), but there are no contradiction at all, because the name thinking about one thing:

Your app do have a very very good skinning support (like Wincab/Doscab also has)!!

Sorry If I crited the name for much in the past, and maybe have sound for negative.