Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

List Folder Top500.txt ?

Started by littleconda, October 17, 2009, 03:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleconda

I noticed a Lists folder that contains a Top500.txt, which basically contains a list of somebodys top 500 albums.  Here is my question, what is it for and what is it's purpose?  I can't seem to find it anywhere in the screens like I see th Decades information.  I do have a few of the albums listed in the list.  Am I missing something simple?   I been  :tommy trying to figure this out for the past 2 days.  Any Help Please?
Thanks

Barcrest

The search screen used to allow 4 predefined lists which were txt files in the lists folder and it would show 3 buttons for those lists. Clicking it would search for the songs in your library and show you a list. That list is rolling stone magazines top 500.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

bzpilot

Hmmmm, I've got an idea.  I'll be back shortly.........

Well, neither one of these are going to be easy probably but let me throw them both out there

Option 1:  Make this list into the "Rolling Stone Top 500 Chart" - and have it listed under Charts.  Unfortunately it will need to function differently then the other Charts because it is a fixed list without months and years.  The Chart page that it would need to lead to would have to have buttons like. "Full List", "Songs On Jukebox", "Page Up", "Page Down", "Page Up 50" and "Page Down 50".  Once setup this would also allow for other fixed music lists to easily be added into the jukebox and there quite a few good ones out there.  The trick will be getting E-Touch to be able to distinguish the normal "month/year charts" from the "list charts" and once selected sending you to the right display. - I like the idea of this option personally

Option 2:  Somehow getting it to function as a playlist but the more I looked into how the playlist works, this may not even be an option.

Other ideas?

bzpilot

Did just notice the list that vurrently is in E-Touch is the Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums, but thet do have a Top 500 Tracks also.

ecbrad

Why limit the number of lists? Why not let it handle as many lists as you want to create. You could then even share amongst others. You know how you used to make a mix tape?? yes I'm that old. Well now everyone could do one by creating a list?

You could make lists dependent on your mood?

Brad

eist1

Wouldn't that be similar to a Playlist? If you created a playlist I would think you would be able to share those...

bzpilot

Quote from: ecbrad on October 19, 2009, 02:31:28 AM
Why limit the number of lists? Why not let it handle as many lists as you want to create. You could then even share amongst others. You know how you used to make a mix tape?? yes I'm that old. Well now everyone could do one by creating a list?

You could make lists dependent on your mood?

Brad
It wasn't about limiting the number of lists it was about a list of Albums not being very useful to a jukebox other than to look at it.  The Top 500 tracks on the other hand could be implemented into something functional.  It could be setup just like adding another Chart that compares itself to the tracks that currently exist on the jukebox.

As for the "Mix-tape" - that is more the functioning of playlists and is pretty much by individual taste of the user.  You can have as many as you want there.  I don't see passing along playlists between jukebox owners as something that would be used.  They are easy enough to setup on your own quickly, not to mention they need to songs that already exist on your jukebox and the tracks in the playlist are linked directly to a specific file and folder position - which would break any functionality between different jukeboxes.

Quote from: eist1 on October 19, 2009, 03:37:45 AM
Wouldn't that be similar to a Playlist? If you created a playlist I would think you would be able to share those...
Yes, I initially thought the Playlist option might have been the way to go too, but it really doesn't seem like it with the way things are setup in E-Touch.  The Playlist is created by tracks that currently already exist on the jukebox and all that is saved to create the playlist is the actual path of the track (e.g. C:/E-Touch.../Music/.....).  The chance of all your songs residing in the same location and the files being named exactly the same is not very likely.  On the other hand the Charts option uses the actually E-Touch databases to compare Artist / Track (and not file name reference as used in Playlists) not to mention it already has the codeing built into it to compare the list against what is already in the Jukebox.  The exact functioning we would need to get this to work - well, at least a better start anyway.

ecbrad

Correct me if I'm worng as I've never really used it but if you load a playlist, is it just used as a filer or as queued music.

I was thinking that you could essentially filter an entire collection to whatever was on the list and then Users could select tracks as per normal but only tracks from whatever list you had loaded.

Cheers,
Brad

bzpilot

Quote from: ecbrad on October 19, 2009, 06:27:35 AM
Correct me if I'm worng as I've never really used it but if you load a playlist, is it just used as a filer or as queued music.

I was thinking that you could essentially filter an entire collection to whatever was on the list and then Users could select tracks as per normal but only tracks from whatever list you had loaded.

Cheers,
Brad
Yes, that is basically what it is - but there limits to its functionality.

A "Playlist" is essentially a saved list of user selected songs that all have to currently exist on the jukebox.  Once you load a Playlist you can then add the whole list to the queue or selected individual songs to the queue.  Keep in mind that in setting up a "Playlist" it saves direct links to those songs by your file/folder structure and not by the jukebox database.  In doing this it will not allow you to share lists with other people.

For example I have set a playlist called "Reggae Hits 1".  Below is how it is saved in E-Touch.  Notice the songs are specifically referenced to a location.  If I were to load this list on another jukebox and those specific paths were not exactly the same then it would not function at all.  A "Playlist" also does not have the ability to deal with tracks that do not exist on the jukebox because it is not interactive to the jukebox database.

Charts on the other hand are based off of the E-touch Databases and are interactive to it.  Charts compare their lists to what exists on the jukebox by Artist Name and Track Name in their tags.  Then show the full list with both tracks the do exist and don't exist on the jukebox, with functionality to select those that do exist.  A "Playlist" is not setup like this at all.  A "Playlist" cannot have any reference to songs that do not exist on the jukebox.

Hope that helps, not sure if I explained it very well.

ecbrad

You explained it perfectly and I guess I didn't really think it through given the path values. Still it'd be a nice value add in my opinion although overkill as a search and match routine would also need to be added to make even remotely feasible.

Cheers,
Brad

bzpilot

Barry - what about this idea.....

If I save the Rolling Stones Top 500 Tracks published in 2004 this way:

C:/E-Touch Jukebox/history/Rolling Stones Top 500/2004/All.txt    or
C:/E-Touch Jukebox/history/Rolling Stones Top 500/All/All.txt    or
C:/E-Touch Jukebox/history/Rolling Stones Top 500/All.txt

Would it be hard to program in that if "All" exists as the month or year that E-Touch ignores the year/month options and just displays the Charts page with up and down arrows to page through.

This way you could add seperate Chart's for "Top 100's" also, which there seem to be alot of.

Barcrest

I can add a new option let me thing about it.

Jukebox Stats...

bzpilot

Barcrest

Best way to do it would be to add a new button.

Jukebox Stats...