News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Folder size for each album - does it affect programme performance?

Started by corus75, April 07, 2016, 09:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corus75

I like to keep my juke tidy and put all of the same album in one folder, even for compilations i have made up.
Example sons of anarchy soundtrack has +400 song files in the  one folder.

Will this affect performance?
is there a rule of thumb to keep folder size under or files in folder under a certain amount?

Loud is not loud until the neighbours dare knock on the door!!
(even then you've got a few more hours)

Mark Norville

To try and answer your question as best as possible, firstly you need to work out if there is any windows problem in relation to this. E.G if windows recommends less folders then best to stick with how they say to store information.

The second thing that you need to be aware of is hard drive and seeking for data, the more you have to make a hard drive work then the faster that hard drive will become faulty. Sadly I know as a hard drive failure today and lost more of my TV shows :(

I personally keep my file structure as simple as possible for music at the moment I have

Artist
- Studio Albums
     2012 - Album Title
     2015 - Album Title
- Compliation Albums
- Live Albums

All what I can say is that remember the tagging is the more important thing for a jukebox as for storage always remember to try and back it up as much as possible incase of hard drive failure, as trying to get all that back is a nightmare.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

corus75

Thanks,

All tagging is spot on, the only thing i've noticed on a folder with an extreme amount of songs is it has a delay when initially selected. Which i expect, and is only on first selection

Mark Norville

I personally would not have a folder with 400 songs though, you reasonably have answered your own question, if you can notice a slight delay.

I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

The issue with 400 songs in one album is paging through them to get to songs further down the list. It will take more time to display the track listing as there are more tags to read.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

corus75

yeah i'm splitting it up now, what looked like a good idea is certainly not practicable when your trying to find a song but not sure of the name to search.