Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

External Hard Drive

Started by gfly3, October 09, 2011, 10:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfly3

I was just wandering what type of external hard drives everyone was using. I'm thinking about getting one to keep my mp3 library on for etouch. My internal drive is almost completely full . Just looking for some input on the best way to go about this ...
Always do sober what you said youd do drunk , that will teach you to keep your mouth shut ......

draginit

i used a standard USB western digital 500gig mybook for almost 2 years with no problem before finally replacing it with an internal 2tb sata

i think there all going to act the same for you really. so its more of a matter of price. 
Just when you thought it not possible....TwelveNinedy

Barcrest

WD 2tb but i need a 3tb now as i am out of space
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

gfly3

Thanks for the replies guys , time to hit newegg to see if I can find a good deal. Lol
Always do sober what you said youd do drunk , that will teach you to keep your mouth shut ......

Thalfura

I don't use external drives anymore. I have built a 48TB server which holds all my "Linux ISO's".

:beer

Barcrest

Quote from: Thalfura on December 13, 2011, 06:57:39 AM
I don't use external drives anymore. I have built a 48TB server which holds all my "Linux ISO's".

:beer

That's impressive but I got rid of my servers long ago. They were big and noisy things and I would now be more inclined to go with a NAS with a drive array.

Jukebox Stats...

Thalfura

yes true. lemme rephrase.. i have a norco 4224 case with an amd x6 phenom in it running 3 br10i's. essentially it is just an overgrown nas.

of the 48tb only 24 is actually usable. well a little less.. i have 6 arrays.

1st 3 are 4x2tb raid 5 array
#1: music
#2: movies/tv series
#3: crap i can't afford to lose

the rest are mirrors of the 1st 3. taken too long to build up all my crap. no intention to lose any of it.

For what it is, it is actually very quiet.

Barcrest

I have just backed up my stuff onto a 3tb drive. So I have 2 copies now, 1 split between a 2tb and 1tb external drive and then all of it on a 3tb drive. As i need to take the drive out for karaoke gigs and discos it made sense to back it up onto 1 drive. I think I should be ok now if anything was to go wrong as it is backed up. At some point down the line I would like to have a raid NAS set up, maybe when I move to a bigger place.

Jukebox Stats...

Tamsy

Ive got a "Unraid" server that can hold up to 22 hard drives i think. I only technically lose 1 of my largest drives as the parity drive. So if a drive goes it can rebuild the data onto a new drive

I make a "Music" share and I got it split over all drives within the array (got about 6 drives in the rig so far - and still have about 2tb free. Will prob add more once hdd prices goes down a bit)

What's playing on my jukebox now...