Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

How can this cost £12,000

Started by Barcrest, March 17, 2016, 10:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barcrest

Like seriously how can this cost that much money...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-35705489

All you need it a windows tablet with decent front facing camera.
Some software to turn your eye movements into mouse actions.

Then just code some simple VB abb using the windows TTS app... You could put together a system like for £500 tops assuming you want to buy a mounting bracket and maybe some protective case for it.

Someone is screwing over some disadvantaged people there. Ok admittedly there would need to be more development on the app to enable it to do more functions such as control an IR sender to change TV channels etc. But that is something that just takes a little development more time. The speech part I could have up and running in 30 minutes....

:downer
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

Oh yes the same for speech software and braille stuff, they are always hundreds of pounds. Ok so deaf and blind people are a minority, but you would think that across the World there would be enough for lower prices.

Who knows maybe you should give it a try as a pet project, you might earn a lot from it, minus my 90% commission of course ;)
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

It's not about making money it's about stopping others ripping people off. I could code something in 30 minutes that would do that that anyone could use. If I had one of those tablets I would do it. Admittedly I could probably do it anyway but i would like to see how well that mouse pointer tracking works, mind you my webcam should be able to do that... I can see what I am going to playing with this weekend. Would be good to see that actual software in action or at least have an idea of some phrases.

Jukebox Stats...

Barcrest

How?
Menu page 1.
Select item, open up corresponding file.
   Is this something to say or bring up sub menu?
   Show Sub menu or add speech to buffer list

Always shown,
Clear All, Clear Last, Speak

I can imagine something like this would give you the ability to build up phrases and is pretty flexible. Maybe add a copy to clipboard button so the user can build a phrase to paste into another app?

Files:
\Main\main.exe
\main\menu\menu.txt

menu.txt
[phrase]"Hello"
[SubMenu]"People"
[image]"hello.jpg"

\Main\Menu\People\menu.txt

menu.txt
[phrase]"Mom"
[SubMenu]""
[image]"mom.jpg"
[phrase]"Dad"
[SubMenu]""
[image]"Dad.jpg"

If sub menu is blank show main menu or show sub menu. Add phrase to the word buffer ready for speak to be clicked.

Should word buffer show english to be spoken or images from each button selected? Option for both maybe. Each menu file to have a maximum of 10 options?

Examples..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j6uaxgyha8

I can see this £12,000 one is a custom built unit with a couple of nice features like the hot swappable batteries but in reality I don't see much to make using a tablet really and more of an issue.

They have some nice windows control system, but my inital focus was just the basic speech builder.

Jukebox Stats...