Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Windows 8?

Started by pomc, January 31, 2013, 12:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pomc

I'm building a jukebox for my uncle and need to buy him a PC. Normally I buy from the Dell Outlet site because of the great deals, but many of the desktops are loaded with Windows 8.

Anyone here use Windows 8 on their jukebox? This would be strictly used for music and not for karaoke or videos.

Thanks,

Rick

Barcrest

Quote from: pomc on January 31, 2013, 12:05:36 AM
I'm building a jukebox for my uncle and need to buy him a PC. Normally I buy from the Dell Outlet site because of the great deals, but many of the desktops are loaded with Windows 8.

Anyone here use Windows 8 on their jukebox? This would be strictly used for music and not for karaoke or videos.

Thanks,

Rick

Just downgrade it to windows 7 or even better XP if you can get the drivers for XP. I down graded a laptop last friday, it wasn't as straight forward as you would think, I had to really mess around in the BIOS to get it booting from the CD then delete all the partitions on the disk before i could install windows 7.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

pomc

That's a consideration if I can't find a good deal on a PC loaded with Windows 7.

Actually was thinking that maybe I'll give him the XP PC in my MAME arcade machine and use the $$ he gave me to tech refresh the arcade machine.   ;D

Norman Marshall

Im using win 8 on my pc and e-touch runs fine, win 7 on me juke and that runs fine aswel, If your gonna use xp might i suggest you buy a 6 year old second hand hand pc that comes with recovery disks as finding drivers for new motherboards for an unsupperted xp might prove diffacult
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

pomc

Barcrest

Once you have the PC set up for the jukebox i recommend taking a ghost image, it's a lot quicker to restore that than re-installing everything if it goes belly up.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

pomc

This PC would be more the adequate for running the juke, right? Running XP and Plus it has a serial port so I don't have to use the serial to USB adapter for my old Elo touchscreen monitor I'm giving my uncle.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7210400&CatId=5139

Will def make an image....do that for all my systems - ESPECIALLY ones I build for someone else.  :)