Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

How to hide the PC and make it more Jukebox like

Started by kizer, April 17, 2007, 06:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonfinpausa

I cant find the welcome screen in the register.I only have one user Administrator with no password and I still get the welcome screen for about 3 seconds.

And all the shutdown screens.This will be register hack to make them go away, we just have to find them.

Fish

coffee

I'm on it. I'll let you know if I find a way to deal with this.

Woody

Jonfin

You can use tweak tools from Microsoft to bypass the welcome screen, you can also use stardock to
setup the bootscreen. I have my box setup this way, but I also have the explorer background set to match my boot screen and I have "Show Desktop Icons" checked OFF. This gets me as close as I think I can get to a non-Windows looking system. The only time I see M$ screen is when exiting the system. My  interest in running FreeBox as a shell would be to speed up boot time and remove as much bloat as possible, I think you can use the tools I mentioned to get a M$ free looking system for the most part.
I also use nlite to trim the whole OS down as much as possible.

Woody

jonfinpausa

Yup !! did all that and I have a os which is 125 megs and uses 13 megs of RAM.
My problem now is I see the word Welcome with a blue background for about 5 seconds before my freebox shell starts, and when I shut down the system I see the widows xp is shutting down crap.
I would love to do the whole thing in Linux, but that will take alot of time and I dont think Barry is willing to take on that project...thats ok tho he is doing a great job on the windows platform.

I have a lead on a product called WEPOS. supposed to be a stripped out version of xp with you being able to use you own program like Freebox or a POS package.Ill let you know.

Fish

coffee

Hi Everyone

I also used Stardock in the beginning but I needed to remove it because for some reason I had problems with shutdown when I used Stardock. I have tried it a few times now with the same result. It doesn't always have the problem, I would say maybe every fifth time it tries to shutdown it stalls.
Do anybody els experience the same thing?

Coffee

jonfinpausa

sorry coffe, I didnt use any third party packages becuase of these kinds of issues.

Im really trying to do it with all hard code register hacks, and Im sure we can, we just have to work at it a little.

Fish

jonfinpausa

No visual of XP OS ... ZERO
here it is boys  ;D

The hack to make freebox your shell.
Step 1: Click Start > Run > regedit
Step 2: Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon
Step 3: In the right pane, find and double-click Shell
Step 4: Change explorer.exe to the complete path of your freebox install
(Note:Default location is) C:\Program Files\Freebox V2\freebox.exe

Next do this:

Set up Windows to Auto-Logon and not display any messages during boot-up and shutdown.

Step 1: Click Start > Run > regedit
Step 2: Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ policies \ system \
Step 3: In the right pane, find and double click DisableStatusMessages
Step 3b: If you do not have it, click Edit > New > DWord Value. Name the new DWord as DisableStatusMessages
Step 4: Double click DisableStatusMessages and change the value to 1 and hit OK

Auto Logon Windows

Step 1: Click Start > Control Panel > Display > Screensaver
Step 2: Uncheck On resume, password protect (if you have a screensaver set)
Step 3: Click the Power button followed by the Advanced tab
Step 4: Uncheck Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby
Step 5: Using the Microsoft Powertoy called Tweak UI, select Logon > AutoLogon   ( its free download it )
Step 6: Enter your username and password (if any) and hit OK

To Make the Logon Screen Black/Not Shown

Step 1: Click Start > Control Panel > Display > Desktop
Step 2: Change the wallpaper to None and select the color black
Step 3: Click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off
Step 4: Uncheck Use the Welcome screen
Step 5: Using the Microsoft Powertoy called Tweak UI, select Logon > Settings
Step 6: Check Colors & Wallpaper and hit Copy Now followed by OK twice

Hint: If you would like to have your logon screen display a picture instead of just a solid color, change your desktop background to the desired picture.
Using TweakUI > Logon > Settings, select Wallpaper and click Copy Now. When you reboot, your current picture will be shown while the computer is Auto-Logging In.

Now set Freebox to shutdown computer ATX option and Wah La...no more windows ever !!!

Oh so you want to know why your desk top is blank when you exit Freebox.Because of your shell but dont panic just hit
ALT+CTRL+DEL to launch the task manager and then click file <new task> and type in explorer.exe

Two days long Im having a cold brew !!! dont bother me  8)
LOL J/K

Fish

Barcrest

That needs to go in the manual. Well done fish
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

jonfinpausa

Thanks Bro... It was a bi%tch but I got er

Im waiting for someone to post a cool graphic to replace the blank screen.
LOL hehehhe

Fish

Git R Done !!!

:o

kizer

Why not just use a kick butt Freeboxjukebox image? I'd gladly sport that on my jukebox.

As for the manual I'll make it happen too. ;)

Im assuming thats all for XP at least Im thinking it is hahaha.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

jonfinpausa

NOPE !!! It will work in your 2k box as well, you might have to poke around in the register a bit as 2k moved a few things.But everything else will work

Fish