News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Touch Screen performance with long VGA and serial cable??

Started by squirrellydw, May 21, 2007, 10:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirrellydw

Does anyone know if the performance of a touch screen will be affected if I use a long VGA and serial cable?  My guess is it will be about 20 feet at the most.  The reason I ask is I would like to mount my touch screen on the wall and have the case as small as possible and I could but the computer with my stereo.  What do you guys think?

Thanks
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

netcat

The quality of your video will be affected with a long VGA cable, although they do make some heavily shielded VGA cables that can go quite a distance.

Serial cables can actually span quite a distance before signal loss.

If you used heavily shielded cables you should be fine

squirrellydw

So as long as I get a good one that is shielded the video should be fine?  That's what I thought; my main concern is the serial cable and the touch screen response.

Thanks
Coffee is the man now

eist1

The serial cable should go 20 feet without issues. A cat5 cable can go about 100 feet without enough loss to cause an issue, so 20 feet should not be a problem.

Barcrest

For the video could you not try some sort of video sender? Don't know if they make a VGA one though...
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

squirrellydw

thought of that but wasn't sure of the quality and since I have to run a serial cable whats one more.
Coffee is the man now

netcat

I have dealt with both very long extensions of Video signals and serial networking for over 20 years

Trust me if you get well shielded cables you will not have problems.

squirrellydw

Coffee is the man now