Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Button problem

Started by coffee, September 24, 2009, 06:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coffee

Hi

I need some help. I'm busy with the next batch of skins but I have run into this problem.
I'm moving away from the black background skins and I'm creating new buttons for this skins.
The problem is that my buttons have a black pixelated edge around them as you will see in the attachment. Also note the seperate black pixels that results in spots around the button. I can use any colour for the button background, even shocking colours but I still get this nasty rond black edge around the button.  ??? ???

Coffee

bzpilot

Did you start from scratch with this button or is it a modded one from something already produced.  It almost looks like a layer or a setting on one of the layers still remains in there that you don't want.

Some one with some more graphics backgrounds then me, might nknow right away by looking at it.

coffee

Hi Bzpilot

Quote from: bzpilot on September 24, 2009, 06:48:36 PM
Did you start from scratch with this button or is it a modded one from something already produced.  It almost looks like a layer or a setting on one of the layers still remains in there that you don't want.

Some one with some more graphics backgrounds then me, might nknow right away by looking at it.

No, it's not the button itself causing the problem.
You will see in the attachment a simple single red colour circle with no gradient on a bright green background. It was created in one layer and saved as JPEG (single layer).
In the second attachment you can see what the effect is once you have this button in freebox.
I have tried this many different ways with the same result and I need to solve this before I can continue with the skin.

Coffee

Barcrest

You need to save it as a BMP. JPG creates different coloured pixels like that, try it as a BMP file and it should work.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

coffee

Hi Barry

Thanks, I'll try that.

Coffee

coffee

Hi

I've tried it as BMP and GIF and I did change the file extention in the main INI-file.
As you can see from the attachment below it is better but not solved.
The only option I can come up with is to leave a black background space behind each button but that would not be ideal in order to get a clean looking skin.

Coffee

Barcrest

If you put a 1 pixel border around the image that is different to the main back colour that should help. Another thing is to make the back colour (The removed colour) match the background colour of where you are placing the button as closely as you can.

I like what you are doing and it's why i wanted the PSD's to try and do the same. With the black box they look ugly when using fanart.

If you want to see what they will look like you can load it into paint and fill the background white. That should show you how it will look. Also you need to make sure the button is the same size as the original image once you start stretching they don't look as good.

Jukebox Stats...

coffee

Hi Barry

QuoteWith the black box they look ugly when using fanart.
I have seen what you are saying and that is why I want to get it perfect.

QuoteAnother thing is to make the back colour (The removed colour) match the background colour of where you are placing the button as closely as you can.
I can use any colour, even neon and the black ring around the button still shows up. If one can't get that thin black ring around the button out the fanart pages won't ever be 100%. That is exectly why this is so important.

I will try a few more things and see what it does.
Coffee

coffee

Wow, I think I've cracked it.

bzpilot

Quote from: coffee on September 25, 2009, 05:33:24 PM
Wow, I think I've cracked it.

From that picture I would definitely call that a breakthrough!!

Woody

Coffee,

What did you do to remove the black?

woody

Barcrest

Excellent dude, looking forward to seeing some updated buttons maybe.  :beer

Jukebox Stats...

coffee

Hi Woody

Quote from: Woody on September 26, 2009, 01:03:13 PM
Coffee,

What did you do to remove the black?

woody
Create all buttons with transparent backgrounds and save them as GIF. You would also have to change all your INI files to accept GIF buttons.

Coffee

coffee

Hi Barry

Quote from: Barcrest on September 26, 2009, 02:33:31 PM

I'm busy with new button sets now. So I should have a few new skins ready within a couple of weeks. ;D
Have you made any progress with the requests I have asked for?
Oooh, one more thing. Can you use 2 sets of buttons? One normal set and one set for when you press a button it change colour rather then having this system now where it depresses slightly and is a bit pixelated when you press a button. Maybe a future request? ;)

Coffee

Barcrest

Quote from: coffee on September 26, 2009, 02:43:15 PM
Hi Barry

Quote from: Barcrest on September 26, 2009, 02:33:31 PM

I'm busy with new button sets now. So I should have a few new skins ready within a couple of weeks. ;D
Have you made any progress with the requests I have asked for?
Oooh, one more thing. Can you use 2 sets of buttons? One normal set and one set for when you press a button it change colour rather then having this system now where it depresses slightly and is a bit pixelated when you press a button. Maybe a future request? ;)

Coffee

My internet has been down at home, I have not had chance to sort out your requests as i have been bug fixing however I will look at making progress on those this week.

Jukebox Stats...