Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

equal volume levels

Started by cyko, May 27, 2007, 10:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyko

What program can i use to equal all my mp3's volume levels.  i have approx. 12000 mp3s so doin one by one is out of the question.

eist1

I use MP3Gain which is free, and can be used in batch mode, so just choose the folder and let it go over night.

kizer

I'm giving MP3gain a try now. Ive got tons of songs to adjust and so far I've tried it on a few and it had pretty good results. Just do a search for mp3gain on Google. Its free and really easy to find.

I however have 2 drives in my Jukebox. One is the primary with the second drive as my backup drive just in case it dies and I have a complete backup of all my tunes. So I'm going to mess with the primary and if it has issues I can easily restore. I was reading somewhere and you can revert back to what the mp3's where before the change. I haven't toyed with it as of yet, but if need be I'll give it a whirl.

I do find it interesting that you can scan your MP3's and it tells you what db they are each. I knew I had some that where louder than others, but had no idea that some of them where 102db and some of my AC/DCs where 90db. I'm setting them all to the defaulted 89.

It does talk about clipping on the net as a way to clip off anything that goes above the set db, but said it could give you a static sound or a skip sound. So in the options I turned it off.

tomorrow will tell.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

coffee

Does anybody know of a filter or plugin one can use to equalize the videos? Something that really works with links please. Something that will be able to set to a spesific dB level.
After 3 months of searching for a way to do it without losing quality I have found a way to do it without using a plugin or filter but it takes some time to do it. The other thing that is important to mention is that I have differentses of up to 20 dB between some videos. That is a huge differents at the end of the day and the filter or plugin must be able to handle that without any loss in quality.

kizer

Well MP3 gain ran all night and didn't finish so its been runing for a day and a half on a little 1ghz machine. I guess 10000+ songs takes a while huh? ;)

Its not perfect, but it sounds better and the wife isn't as mad hearing my music blasting and hers really quite.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

Barcrest

The cross fading link i posted well they have a normalizer plugin that works... I can't post it as it's 3mb but i can upload it to kizers web space if anyone wants it. The trouble with mp3 gain is it messes with your mp3 files and i think it might cause quality loss.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

netcat

Yes I am very interested please post location.

netcat

Barry can you advice where I can find this application I have searched at the crossfaders site with no luk.

thanks

Barcrest

Jukebox Stats...

coffee

Hi Barry

I did try this dcdspfilter earlier this year but I didn't get it to work correctly. I tried it again now.
Can somebody help with a manual or something on how to install it and to set it up.
I installed it again now and it installed to c:/program files/DSP-worx but when I try to set it up I can't find where to set it to normalize my sound.

netcat

I havent been able to make it work either, any help appereciated

Barcrest

It works automatically like the cross fading plugin, AFAIK there isn't any config for it.

Jukebox Stats...

netcat

it is probable I am doing something wrong but I cannot tell that it is doing anything at all nor am I able to determine if it is really running

ideas ?

Zazen

I posted my normalization solution on the old forums but I guess it's gone now. I use MP3gain and I set it up to automatically normalize all files in album-mode every night at 5am (this way I do not have to bother with normalizing when I add music). In my opinion this is by far the most convenient way to do it.

Contrary to an earlier reply the program does not cause any quality loss. There are normalizing plugins but I feel that it's better to do that extra processing at night rather than in real-time during playback, and I also feel that album-mode is better than normalizing everything to one level.

This is the .bat file that runs every night at 5am to normalize my collection:

echo ===================================================== >> "C:\program files\mp3gain\autogain.txt"
echo Running mp3gain, %time% %date%  >> "C:\program files\mp3gain\autogain.txt"

F:

for /R F:\mp3library\ %%I IN (hjhjkhjk) DO cd "%%~dpI" && "C:\program files\mp3gain\mp3gain.exe" /a /c *.mp3

echo Finished mp3gain, %time% %date%  >> "C:\program files\mp3gain\autogain.txt"

As an aside, the .bat file also contains instructions to defrag the drives every evening, which I recommend (only works on Windows XP):

echo Running defrag c:, %time% %date%  >> "C:\program files\mp3gain\autogain.txt"

defrag c:

echo Finished defrag c:, %time% %date%  >> "C:\program files\mp3gain\autogain.txt"

echo Running defrag f:, %time% %date%  >> "C:\program files\mp3gain\autogain.txt"

defrag f:

echo Finished defrag f:, %time% %date%  >> "C:\program files\mp3gain\autogain.txt"

netcat

Although I am aware of some people using applications like MP3Gain the problem is my library is in the hundreds of thousand titles, normalizing all these titles thru MP3ZGain would require considerable time and power, and to be honest I am terrified the application is going to end up ruining any of my files as it does rewrite them as it normalices them.

Personally I would like on "on the fly" solution that normaklizes them as they are being played, I went to the extent of purchasing a hardware unit that supposedly does this about 6 months back, but unfortunatelly not only did it not do a good job at normalizing it also introduced a whole bunch of hiss into my media stream.