Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Dell Studio One

Started by 2wheelDuke, February 03, 2010, 11:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2wheelDuke

The UPS man finally dropped by a few minutes ago, so I'm setting up my new jukebox.

Years ago I had an old touchscreen CRT setup I built with my old roomate.  That was replaced by a wall mounted touchscreen LCD.  I suppose he's still running that.

I built myself a mame machine, and was considering having it do double duty for jukebox work.  I wasn't happy with that, so I started looking for a touchscreen to be my jukebox.  Now my mame box is just for games.

I wound up getting a refurbished Dell Studio One for $520 shipped.

Here's a quick crappy pic as I'm copying music over to it.

After I get it set up and going well, I'm looking to either wall mount it or build it into an enclosure that looks more like a jukebox.  Looking around the site is definitely giving me some ideas for the latter.

Looks like UPS took a few days too long for me to get a free upgrade to Windows 7 though.  I may have to try calling Dell and see if they can help me out here, but I won't hold my breath. 

Barcrest

You might be better re-installing with XP. Also that will need a custome skin to be the bomb. Either a portrait one with screen rotation or a widescreen one. I did start a widescreen one but it was never 100% completed. That is one nice looking unit dude.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

2wheelDuke

Thanks Barry.

The first time I ever saw one of these touchscreen all-in-one's, jukebox was the first thing that came to mind.

I was looking at the atom based models like the MSI, but I found this dell with an actual Pentium and with 4 gigs of ram and a 320 gig HD for a bit less money.  It seemed like a no-brainer. 

I found a 1366x768 version of black n blue, and so far it looks great.  I've never played with fanart before, so I guess that'll be next.

I had some errors at first, but searching the forum led me to try making the e-touch program run as admin all the time, and that seems to have cured it.

I was considering win7, but the upgrade window has passed since UPS had to take their sweet time getting this thing to me.

I'll have to see if XP drivers exist for this machine and see if maybe I could install it with my Vista key or something. 

Here's a couple more shots. 

So far I'm realizing that the speakers on this machine don't quite cut it for music.  If it gets built into a box, it'll definitely have some amplified speakers in there.  If it stays sorta low profile and hangs on the wall, it'll have to go line out into a home theater setup or something.

Barcrest

Cool you found the wide screen skin, look pretty good actually dude.  :beer
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

kizer

You could always build the monitor into a wall frame or whatever then pipe out the audio via wireless to keep the wires clean and then control the volume with a remote to your amp. Honestly thats exactly what I would do.
I'm not around 100% so please feel free to PM if you need direct help. Trust me I'm not ignoring you in a post. ;)

lionking

Hi

Please could u tell me where to find a 1366 x 768 skin

Thank You
Cliff

ylwalker

Just an FYI for those interested in using the Dell Studio One:
I have one with a 2.2g Celeron 450 and 3gig ram. Vista was painfully slow.

Wiped the hard drive, a fresh install of tinyXP rev11 (with valid XP Pro key of course), then used "Touch+" v2.9 utility from NextWindow to get touchscreen working with XP. eTouch runs beautifully and the processor runs cool. Fans are hardly heard except at startup.  Makes a nice "portable" widescreen Juke.

I will note that this touchscreen has a bit more lag than a commercial ELO or IRTouch. Now for the biggest issue. Native resolution is 1366x768. Skin selection is limited.  Guess I could try my hand at updating and resizing some skins.  If I survive the skintool learning curve, maybe create something new.  Perhaps a retro or art deco skin with woodgrain and chrome...