Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Noob with touchscreen project

Started by Paladin, October 25, 2009, 07:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin

Hello everybody!  I'm new here and thought I'd post a little about my project.

I picked up a used touchscreen kiosk some time ago, and finally found the time to work on it.  It came with a 17" CRT VGA touchscreen that was wearing out.  I replaced around 100 capacitors in the monitor and upped the brightness on the flyback, and it turned out passable but not great.  I treated myself to a birthday present of a lightly used 19" LCD touchscreen off ebay, and it looks fantastic! 

I installed some slot machine games on the kiosk and remembered seeing this program mentioned on the www.arcadecontrols.com website, so I tried it out.  I ended up really liking it, and am now registering so I can purchase it.

My music collection isn't that big at around 3,500 songs, but I've never bothered with maintaining my MP3 tags before.  I did at least put everything in artist/album directories.  After I don't know how many hours, I've got everything pretty much set up.  I've got around 500 songs with no year info in the tags, and don't know if I want to spend the time to fix them.

Here's a couple pictures of the cabinet.  Right now I've just thrown a PC in, and mounted a 2.1 PC speaker set with the left and right speakers pointing out the air vents on the upper sides.  I'm thinking of making a new front door with speakers mounted in it pointing forward.

fordman

Looks like alotta room under or on top of the monitor bezel for speakers. You want the music to be at your ears, not the knees!

Great cabinet and looks like it will be alotta fun!

btw, where did ya get the slot machine games and do you mind sharing??? ehhhh???

:beer

Fordman

Paladin

The slot machine programs are 'Little Green Men' and 'Texas Tea' from Masque Slots.  They only cost $20, and come with more than a dozen different IGT slot machines each.

Today I finished installing a 'SPIN REELS' button for the slot games, and volume buttons for Windows.  The buttons are all connected to an Ultimarc I-Pac keyboard encoder.  The volume buttons work with a program I found called VolumeTray that adjusts the volume in Win XP via mouse or keys.  I set the program to use up and down arrow for volume up/down, then wired the small buttons to the I-Pac.  The slot button also has an LED to light it up powered from the I-Pac.

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do about the speakers.

Paladin

Old post, but I thought I'd toss in a picture of the finished Juke.  I ended up buying some speaker fabric and some 'chicken wire' to fabricate a cover for the opening in the cabinet.  The speakers are a Creative 2.1 setup with the addition of some wing speakers that are used on IGT slot machines.  The creative sattelite speakers point out a couple airholes in the back of the hood and the sub is pointing out the lower opening.

Drben

Nice job man, nice and neat. I like it :)