Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Windows XP out of steam?

Started by MrSven, July 13, 2011, 02:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSven

Microsoft on Monday made its most aggressive move yet to convince customers to drop Windows XP and adopt Windows 7, telling them that there were only 1,000 days of support life left in the older operating system.
When is the right time to upgrade, and to what?  Our jukeboxes run on a windows xp embedded operating system and its performance is tops. Will windows 7 embedded or by that time windows 8 embedded be a worthy upgrade? I know that some of the jukeboxes we have out in the field running nicely, will not run windows 7.
My opinion is to skip windows 7 and wait(through the support lacking days) for windows 8 with its beautiful touch screen capabilities.
Windows 8 is said to launch September 2012.

Norman Marshall

I personally cant wait for win 8, but unfortunatly for those running xp on there jukes then its not a case of upgrading there OS, they'll have to upgrade the hardware aswel (depending on the spec) win 7 doesnt runn to good on a single core processor ive tried it on my juke with 2 gig ram, the speed and performance just wasnt there, there was a slight delay in performance with the touchscreen aswel, so for chrimbo last year i was treated to a new board, quad core cpu and 4gig ram, runs as sweet as a nut now at the cost of £300
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

Barcrest

At the end of the day if your juke is a stand alone there is no reason to move from XP. The only reason to upgrade will be if you are internet connected because there will be no more patches availble for XP, or you have hardware that doesn't have XP drivers.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

mahkeymike

If only barry could port e-touch to linux. I dont know if its just that my hardware is lacking, or if its just barrys coding, or just winblows in general, but my system is unreliably responsive at times.Its not often that i goto a bar and throw money away in their jukebox, but damn is touchtunes software fast and responsive.Example of what i mean is scrolling.I could tap the down arrow 5 times as fast as i can and it doesnt miss a beat.e-touch on my jukebox would be lucky to catch 2 of those taps.

coffee

My biggest concern is the driver problem for new motherboards etc.

Norman Marshall

Quote from: Barcrest on July 14, 2011, 08:56:11 AM
At the end of the day if your juke is a stand alone there is no reason to move from XP. The only reason to upgrade will be if you are internet connected because there will be no more patches availble for XP, or you have hardware that doesn't have XP drivers.

Yes i forgot to mention this
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

Barcrest

Quote from: mahkeymike on July 14, 2011, 01:57:54 PM
If only barry could port e-touch to linux. I dont know if its just that my hardware is lacking, or if its just barrys coding, or just winblows in general, but my system is unreliably responsive at times.Its not often that i goto a bar and throw money away in their jukebox, but damn is touchtunes software fast and responsive.Example of what i mean is scrolling.I could tap the down arrow 5 times as fast as i can and it doesnt miss a beat.e-touch on my jukebox would be lucky to catch 2 of those taps.

Probably partly my coding, but have you set up smaller images for the album paging screen? Also it helps to have a fast hard drive. Both of these things speed up paging, i don't think it is to bad on my P4 based system. I set the smaller images to be 170 x 170 and they seem fine.

Jukebox Stats...

MrSven

Quote from: Barcrest on July 15, 2011, 01:23:54 PM

Probably partly my coding, but have you set up smaller images for the album paging screen? Also it helps to have a fast hard drive. Both of these things speed up paging, i don't think it is to bad on my P4 based system. I set the smaller images to be 170 x 170 and they seem fine.

I like the windows based juke(I use .net  ;D ). And porting it to linux will take months. I think partially the reason for the delay might be the, in our case, 15 million character long string holding the media information(records.rec, video.rec). If I may suggest a drastic change in the software, move to a more solid database form for the media information. Mdb works well for small databases and runs relatively fast for the easy coding it provides. SQL is, in my opinion, the fastest and most stable database system out there. Searching records with either one of these might just take a couple of milliseconds.

Barcrest

Quote from: MrZedSven on July 20, 2011, 07:24:09 AM
Quote from: Barcrest on July 15, 2011, 01:23:54 PM

I like the windows based juke(I use .net  ;D ). And porting it to linux will take months. I think partially the reason for the delay might be the, in our case, 15 million character long string holding the media information(records.rec, video.rec). If I may suggest a drastic change in the software, move to a more solid database form for the media information. Mdb works well for small databases and runs relatively fast for the easy coding it provides. SQL is, in my opinion, the fastest and most stable database system out there. Searching records with either one of these might just take a couple of milliseconds.

The REC files are relatively easy to work with as they are just random access files so you can jump to records relatively easilly. I have been exploring moving it to a proper DB but it's a big job.

Jukebox Stats...