News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Test library creation based on filename?

Started by DayOff, May 10, 2012, 03:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DayOff

Hi, I'm very new to freebox...came from another music video jukebox app which did everything I needed, but the queue didn't work...of all things..anyhow, here's what I'm trying to do:

Basically I have a ton of music videos, they're all mapped as a drive letter and I have them in separate folders based on letters of the alphabet (a/b/c/d), etc.. this is just to cut down on a million videos all being in a single directory...

I'm trying to test out freebox by autogenerating a database based on the filename...all of my videos are named Artist-SongName.MP4, etc... everythng follows that format.  I have tons of one-off artists, so I don't want 15,000 subfolders in these directories...and i'm not trying to do both mp3 and videos...only videos..and the video formats vary, too..but they all have consistant filenames. 

Is this possible?  I'm trying a small set of files right now...and trying to change the default %1\%2\%3 setting, which I thought was what I should be doing...but changing it doesn't seem to make any difference, it's coming up with "ARTIST: N:" (N is my drive mapping to the folder with the video files), and "TITLE: Artist-Songname".  If I click on the imported 'album' and click edit album, it gives me a mismatch 13 error..

Any tips are appreciated..thanks!
Pete

Barcrest

Well if that does work you will still end up with an album per letter so you will have A and under that will be all your A videos. I personally have them in a folder per artist, where I have one artist it just jumps straight to the play options. This means i can have a cover per artist and i don't have a huge list.

The ideal method is to use the non mp3 editor to create a .tag file. It will do this from the file name and if you have them in folders as you described it will be fairly quick as it works through a folder at time if you use get all from file name.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

DayOff

Yeah I'll have to ponder this one a bit...I have about 20,000 videos to do this to, so any change is a pain...heh. Right now I get a new video and throw it in an alphabet letter...the other software picks up the artist and title by filename, so it doesn't care about folder depth, it's just searching subdirectories and my filename mismatches result in a cluttered artist/title list, which I can adjust on the file level in windows, rescan with the jukebox app, and that takes care of things.    It picks up artwork off the net based on the artist/title info it found during the filename search and most of the time it's fine for my needs (but can be edited later if it's completely off). 

Adding another layer to my sorting might get a bit cumbersome when there's a lot that only have one video anyway...does this mean the app can't do a similar type of search/db import that I'm used to currently?  The tag thing you mention, is it basically having to create some sort of small keyfile to hold the details of the file that's sitting in the directory?  I'd rather keep the artist and title in the filename...so no matter where the file ends up (by accident or whatever), I can find it by filename. If that's going to throw a wrench in things, let me know... I think I had a tool someplace that could take my artistname from the filename and create subfolders based on that, at least to save a lot of front end work...then I could go back and clean up all the ones with multiple artist duets and such...

In the end I just want to make sure i'm not completely rearranging things unnecessarily and pondering any options that are out there! :)

Barcrest

The non MP3 tagger creates a small txt file with the same filename ending in .TAG which contains the tag information. It can generate these from the filename but it seems like you don't want these files, it should be able to do it from the filename though but it just has less info to work with such as genre.

It uses the directory structure to seperate albums so they do need to be split if you don't want one big list.

Jukebox Stats...

DayOff

Thanks, i'll experiment with that a bit.  I don't mind having extra tag files around, just didn't want to completely re-sort everything into more subdirectories...  I'm trying to start up the jukebox in video mode, only with a list of A-Z choices...clicking on of the letters will show me all the artists under that letter  It's not super fast to get around, but lets me jump around between the lettesr of the alphabet fast enough...which beats scrolling down a list of a million artists..

Pete

Barcrest

Quote from: DayOff on May 12, 2012, 02:41:10 AM
Thanks, i'll experiment with that a bit.  I don't mind having extra tag files around, just didn't want to completely re-sort everything into more subdirectories...  I'm trying to start up the jukebox in video mode, only with a list of A-Z choices...clicking on of the letters will show me all the artists under that letter  It's not super fast to get around, but lets me jump around between the lettesr of the alphabet fast enough...which beats scrolling down a list of a million artists..

Pete

In the latest beta you can enter more than one letter so click B to get to the artists begging with B then hit E will take you to those begging BE. This is much quicker for jumping around.

Jukebox Stats...