Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Multiple source folders????

Started by JimB, January 13, 2014, 04:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimB

ITunes over the years of upgrades has put my music in 3 different folder locations.  I thought I would generate the database on the 1st folder path and do update library for the other 2 but when I do that it says: Tracks loaded then, finished searching, no new files found.  Am I missing something? or is the only option to put everything (all music files) under one main folder?

Gaucho

Please be more specific on your file structure

Risim

What version are you using?  Cant you just move your libary and put them into one folder with 3 sub folders?  Make sure your files are in the mask in the config.  E.j- make sure .m4a is in config mask.

JimB

using version 8,  i could move everything under c:\itunes but it would mess up the itunes library hooks,  I still want to use itunes along with etouch.   I would need to find a tool that lets me change the paths to the itunes database if I can't have 3 different root folders,  right now all my music sub-folders start here:

c:\itunes

C:\Users\Jim\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media

and

C:\Users\Jim\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

Barcrest

You could build the library at the root of C:\  but it will probably pick up some stuff like the windows sounds etc that you don't want it to include. You could move the C:\itunes to C:\Users\Jim\Music\ as I assume the C:\itunes files are audio you have manually added to itunes. That way you could build it on C:\Users\Jim\Music\ you should be able to get itunes to rescan and pick up that one moved folder. I am sure C:\itunes isn't the default place to store downloaded itunes files.

There did used to be an ADD button to cater for what you have but hard drives got bigger and cheaper and it seemed like most would store all media on 1 large 3-4tb external drive.

To be honest storing the music on the C:\ isn't really a good idea as this drive tends to be small especially if you have an SSD to speed up the OS. There are tutorials on the web that show you how to move your itunes to a different location and not loose them as I have done it many moons ago for someone when I had to replace a drive.

Maybe this?
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1364
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

JimB

Yes, that's correct about my c:\itunes folder.  Thanks for the suggestions,  I have what i need to get going now.  I'm using the public domain album art downloader to get all my covers in a decent resolution to display also.  I love this tool:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/

Barcrest

I do like that album art downloader I just prefer and automated system that I can point at my music and it goes and creates the images for me. I am revisiting my music library tonight to try and fill in some missing covers so I'll give this another look for some of the more stubborn ones. I suppose at some point I really should re-visit the album cover downloading code in the config to try and get that working correctly again.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

johnpurs

Quote from: JimB on January 16, 2014, 09:01:58 PM

c:\itunes

C:\Users\Jim\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media

and

C:\Users\Jim\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

Hi Jim, You can use a utility from Microsoft (Sysinternals) called junction it allows you to create symbolic links in Windows.  Create a new folder like c:\music  and then add all the iTunes folders to it without moving them. Then point the ETouch config at c:\music and you don't need to move anything. I used this on my previous build (RIP ELO touchscreen) I used it to create separate libraries without duplicating all my music files. I will do the same with my new setup. Works flawlessly.

Example on the use of juntion below:
http://blog.andrewbeacock.com/2010/01/how-to-use-junction-if-you-want.html

JimB