Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Project name Faith

Started by Mark Norville, August 01, 2015, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Norville

Hi Guys,

I have always wanted an arcade machine/jukebox, while talking to the ex about cabinets I found three online, one was too far away about 200 odd miles but I found the one in the picture. At first I thought it was going to be a simple job of just ripping one computer out and replacing with another, however the night before it came I noticed that it looked kind of weird, e.g it was a reverse case where the dvd drive was at the back along with the controllers, so I shat myself a bit. I tried just placing my PC into the space where the windows xp 160 gig unit was but found out that it would not fit. I have been hammering the hell out of the old casing to remove what I didn't need as I didn't have the proper tools to undo a nut, sad but true. I tried my i5 computer but with no joy and I would have had to buy a couple of bits to get the touchscreen to work, but my i3 had all of the right connectors so I stripped that out and inserted into the old case.

Faith went from Windows XP with an 160 gig hard drive to a I3 with 6 terabytes. I will be sorting out the touchscreen drivers which are a zytronic touchscreen 19", putting in a xbox wireless card so that I can use their controllers for Mame but have been watching an X arcade tank stick, but with the case it will be akward to actually operate that without taking off the front and inserting into the USB unless you can buy extenders for the cable?

It only has two speakers so I am not overly impressed by the sound, it was a professional conversion rather than what I was hoping for which was a cabinet, a pc and a monitor, it has the wiring from the original machine so if something goes wrong I am a bit buggered lol

Anyway shall stop waffling now, but just to add the skin that I was making I shall continue and finish that as almost finished anyway, it was a 1600 x 900 skin, but now with Faith she is 1024 x 768 so I will look at making it for both now.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Mark Norville

I am just about to order an arcade button kit and use the black panel as a basis for creating a dual arcade/jukebox machine. I am also looking at downgrading from windows 10 to windows 7 tomorrow just to see if I can get my touchscreen working.

I am ordering a 1 player kit, which has 11 buttons, but too seem as if I have mates, I am ordering a two player button as well. The kit will comes with 11 buttons, a joystick, a board and cables. I will look at 8 buttons but probably will only be able to fit 6 but I am looking at two buttons on the sides for using hyperpin and having them as pinball buttons.

If like me you have always dreamed of owning an arcade cabinet and a jukebox it is possible with the right cabinet. I was lucky to pick up mine for £100 off ebay and £50 delivery although I paid more than I had to but was being fair to the guy as I was going to bid £250 not including delivery but I made him a deal and he took it off and I paid cash in hand so no ebay fees or paypal.

I have the best of both Worlds due to my cabinet design so if I can pull off including the arcade controls then I have a total bargain and I do not need another unit standing around.
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

ecbrad

I have 8 arcade cabinets a digital pinball machine and a digital jukebox. I've seen the combo done a few times but I would never do it. It just detracts from either scenario. I would highly recommend a dedicated arcade machine and a separate juke.

Brad

Mark Norville

Maybe one day when I am a millionaire it might be nice to have a machine for every console. Why have you got 8 for? I have seen a digital pinball machine and they really do look bad ass some of the videos I have seen you could hardly tell that they wasn't the real thing.

Barcrest

Quote from: ecbrad on August 05, 2015, 12:36:27 AM
I have 8 arcade cabinets a digital pinball machine and a digital jukebox. I've seen the combo done a few times but I would never do it. It just detracts from either scenario. I would highly recommend a dedicated arcade machine and a separate juke.

Brad

I do agree, I have had mame cabinets in the past. Now i only have my jukebox but trying to do both int he same cabinet detracts from either and you end up with a not very good mame cab and a not very attractive jukebox.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

ecbrad

Quote from: Mark Norville on August 05, 2015, 09:09:20 AM
Maybe one day when I am a millionaire it might be nice to have a machine for every console. Why have you got 8 for? I have seen a digital pinball machine and they really do look bad ass some of the videos I have seen you could hardly tell that they wasn't the real thing.

I co-admin www.aussiearcade.com.au

We are an enthusiasts and collectors site. One of our mottos is no matter how much you try you never stop at one ;)

I bought my first cab for $70.00 at an auction almost 15 years ago after using a custom homemade controller for a few years. The rest I accumulated over the years with nice deals, swaps etc the most recent being a $70.00 cab I rescued from the local Tip Shop bargained down from $120. The tip one I completely refurbished and tried to sell but its a crap time for the market so it's still sitting in my study taking up space.

Do I really need 8, hell no and I'd love to downsize to say 4, each for a particular use as I have an old Pole Position 2 cockpit for Racers and then a probably a vertical orientation machine, a horizontal orientation machine and a cocktail cab. My garage is currently outfitted like an old arcade but with beer ;)

You can do a mame cab fairly cheap if you do all the work yourself. I generally use really old PC's as the engine which can be picked up for $50 off ebay and your local trade sites.

The digital pincab was a long labour of love. Built completely from scratch by myself. Build thread here:

http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php/42304-Minipin

This project is for dedicated and reasonably technically minded people. Mame cabs can be done by most people in my opinion. If you want to go a cheaper route and separate, build a bartop cab instead.

Cheers,
Brad

Barcrest

Just looked on ebay and there are quite a few arcade cabs for less than £50 that would make ideal mame machines.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

Faith is my baby at the moment ;) It is nice just playing with my first project at the moment. I do have things in mind for her

1) Side art and bezel art
2) Painting maybe red although I do like the purple as it does break up the colour of the room
3) Increased hard drive size at the moment I have 5 1.81 terabyte hard drives
4) Arcade controls and few extras on the way
5) Dual monitor
6) 7.1 speakers

I did think about attaching my xbox 360 to her as well I am just looking her and I could fit two computers in her if I strip out the amp so that might be an option at some stage.

A lot of you boys are into buying and selling and setting up a machine for home business, Faith is my baby and a long term project for home entertainment.

Who needs Netflix huh ;)

Norman Marshall

Mame and jukebox in one cab? not a good idea, if someone is playing mame then no one can put songs on juke, I have duel screen juke and two mames both with multiple gams on, no problems
Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

Mark Norville

I don't know if I am lucky or unlucky but it's only for myself so will be no kids or nagging wife to get in the way. It will only be used as one or the other at one time. It is just something that I have always wanted to have although I have to admit that I am a bit dismayed at the touch screen on a commercial monitor, my Packard bell does a better job and I am able to access all of the screen, which throws a spanner in the works in relation to skinning I am trying to use two programs and certain areas namely the sides or the top or bottom are literally dead as a dodo. I did have a play with the jukebox down at the local it has last.fm I think it is a music streaming service and it seems to share the same problems where you have a mouse on screen although a cross hair but some areas at better at responding than others. The design on that I think is more down the middle and avoids the sides where ever possible.

I will be glad when it is all over and done with and everything is working as it should rather than keep coming across problems and spending more time trying to fix rather than enjoying what you have.

Infact I will ask a question in a minute in general discussion as I am bored and no one is here lol