Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

A Quick Skin idea started today

Started by Mark Norville, August 02, 2016, 03:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Norville

This is a very early mock up of a new skin that I just start messing around with today. Again it is a skin designed for a single monitor. Visuals are at the top, navigation in the middle, and 10 albums at the bottom for selection.

The navigation at the moment is just rough buttons, as I just wanted to see how it all fell into place first. So far this is the only screen that I have almost completed but any thoughts etc more than welcome.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

Different than anything we have now, could be worth carrying on with. Thing is with the skins if you put one together it's quite easy for someone to then swap out the graphics with some fancier ones if they are good with GIMP. Putting the bones of some together and releasing them might entice someone to do that.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

What I can see from this skin so far is that it is not going to take long to complete or not really. As most of the battle is already done,

10 albums
09 history (honestly wish there was 10 lol)
10 hot hits

So most of the screens are done really that need 10 of anything, the main thing really is going to be track listings, and then I might keep the play option button as just buttons to press.

Again it is not commercial friendly but the concept is for single screen use age, but get rid of the top part and maybe just have a maquee or something like that there, can add more buttons, and possibly another 5 album covers so 15 albums displayed at one time.

Right time for neighbours.
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

Not sure why i went with 9 on the history screen or why the scroll buttons are on there but it is a pain to change them now and keep compatability with existing skins.

Jukebox Stats...

ecbrad

Definitely a great start to a really different look. We need more options and variety so keep going!

Brad

Mark Norville

As I love talking too myself, well considering that no one bloody talks too me, so I might as well just talk to myself.

I am not going to release another screen shot, until it is complete. However from the original screen shot, it has now changed slightly. I was working on the track listing screen yesterday and was messing around with some graphics, and then suddenly every thing changed direction.

Again today I have been playing a tiny bit, and I have thought outside of the box and removed something else, I am not going to say what, but I will do a video when it is all finished. As it is the weekend, booze and pub is probably calling, but I might do stuff over the weekend, however I don't think that this skin will take me long to complete, as I kind of like it. It is not the KILLER skin that I want to create, but it is slowly building up to how I finally want to be able to create a skin.

The navigation buttons at the moment are my biggest downfall, and I will try to do something about them in the future, but at the moment, I want to get a working beta version and then tweaks after wards.

However if you only use a single monitor, then this will blow your minds. I will eventually do a skin designed for dual monitors, however to be honest where my cabinet is it is a complete waste of time adding a second monitor or my spare TV as I will not see it anyway unless I keep twisting my neck, so a waste of electric. I am looking at buying a long HDMI cable and then hooking up to my main TV, or hooking up my other touch screen monitor which is a 20 inch 1600 x 900 wide screen.

While I am talking too myself I am having a sick thought of doing a portrait skin and putting the monitor in an upright position to cater for portrait as from side to side it is 17 inches, but from top to bottom it is about 9 inches. I think you could have a fooking bloody sick skin and have visuals, navigation and god knows how many albums all on one page. So it looks like the jukeboxes that you see in the pub.

Anyway shall stop waffling too myself now, the shrink has told me to stop talking too myself, however just a few ideas for other people to think about as well.

Regards

Mark

Barcrest

That was the point of Coffee's vertical skins. You have enough space for visuals and navigation.Portrait is only really good if you have a large enough screen. Small screens work better in landscape.

Jukebox Stats...

berrywell

If I've read your message post correctly, you're trying to design a 'one screen' set up on a landscape screen, I certainly wait with intrigue and interest to see how you're going to pull this off.

I'm progressing, albeit slowly, on my own skin, I'm getting inspiration from my local pubs Sound Leisure - Milestones in Music Jukebox, I keep playing around with it and also noting how others interact with it, so have a few ideas from that now.

Anyway, I'm genuinely looking forward to see what you're going to come up with now.

Mark Norville

I've already pulled it off but work has stopped on this skin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1PzW_u71mk for the moment, I have so many versions of that skin I have to get it all together.

This skin that I am doing now, is a lot easier as many of the graphics are very similar so literally it is place the graphics in and jig everything around.

The thing that I hate in relation to copying other jukeboxes such as the ones that you see in the pub, is that usually they are not uniform. I have tried to copy a few from watching a few youtube videos but the main thing that slows it down is really the graphics, especially if like me you are not very graphical.

One page, one graphic can change the whole concept of the skin. I hate when that happens, as you then start thinking if the rest is good enough, and you just change things around, so it is a never ending circle.

Right time for shower and shops, the beer fridge is empty and I hate being sober for too long lol

Regards

Mark

berrywell

That's a nice clean interface, that's the sort of thing I was aiming & hoping for. I like the way you've left the top of the screen available for the now playing (& I assume video playing) part, I did wonder how you would do it, although I'm going for two screen skin set up.

The navigation buttons I've been making for my skin look an awful lot like yours, have you also used the dabuttonfactory.com website to create them?? My graphical skins are pretty poor and so I was very happy (& relieved) when Google showed me to that site.

I've only been using the skin tool about a month now, although I only get a few hours per week (if I'm lucky) to work on it as my girlfriend now demands most of my spare time.

Mark Norville

Yeah I have been using dabuttonfactory, one tip I can give regarding buttons, is make sure that you write down the settings of the buttons you have done already, as the website resets back to the original graphic after a while, so unless you can remember what settings you had before, then you spend a while trying to work out the colours and sizes.

You can just do a blank button, and then import that into gimp or another art package, and then use that, but the only tip I can give regarding something like that, is make it as big as you can and then once you have done the button, resize it to the size that you need.

Youtube is also good for learning how to do some graphics, if you know roughly what you want to do and what it is called then usually you can find a video. I will eventually look at videos on how to do the buttons, but basic buttons are ok for now.

Regards

Mark