Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Fook it I am building a jukebox cabinet

Started by Mark Norville, September 11, 2016, 09:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Norville

I have had this in my mind for the past couple of days about building a jukebox cabinet as I don't want just a monitor on the wall, especially not with a 32 inch touch screen beast.

I am not into woodwork, I can get a splinter just walking around B&Q but my train of thinking is that I can just have a standard box so a back part, the sides screwed down at top and bottom. The monitor fixed to the back of the cabinet just using the vesa mounts and then nut and bolt at the back.

Routed edges for t moulding and a bezel frame to cover over the black frame of the monitor.

Will this work has any one got any wood work skills? I have been trying to find plans all over the net and unlike arcade cabinets they are rare.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

If you just want a box then it shouldn't be too hard to build. Mine was a box with a larger front that left a lip all around the edges where I hid the back lighting. There was a video of it somewhere.

EDIT: You can see it in this grainy video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae7J0XoMhdc
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

I just found this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Chrome-Vinyl-Wrap-Silver-All-Sizes-/200973807896?var=500192405908&hash=item2ecaf8f118:g:CnkAAOxyBXNSWDdJ I am thinking about buying it to cover the front bezel of the monitor rather than having to go too tricky on creating a box and then having to route wood for t moulding.

Any thoughts on this? Would it look shit?
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

I never had much luck with it, too many bubbles no matter how careful I was. In the end painting was the best method.

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

There are a 4d version it is supposed to be called which lets the air out apparently. I am thinking about wrapping the front and then the sides and then put those sound activated led lights around the sides and back of the monitor.

All then what I need is 4 x MDF stripes about 4 inches in height to hide the back of the monitor, so an easier version of making a box really. Sadly all money as I am down one computer at the moment which is my main pc so having to use the second hand computer just to surf the net I just ordered a cpu fan hoping that will work again, as the temps on the cpu was about 90 c despite putting fresh thermal paste on there.

One good thing though the PC I brought I said about sending it back, then refunded my money and told me to keep the computer, so got that for sod all lol

Mark Norville

Sod it I just brought this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191467428377 was only £3.78 I brought chrome silver so will give that a try and see what the results are like. I then might look at covering my cabinet as well just to sex it up a bit.

Hopefully it doesn't look too stupid but saves on my non existent wood working skills.

Gaucho

Bought some of that in black for my juke, much easier than painting, sanding, painting etc to get a nice smooth finish. Works well but you still need a base coat of paint for it to adhere to.

Mark Norville

I am just putting onto the plastic bevels so hopefully that will be good enough. The cabinet however is painted already I might get some arcade wraps for the side of the cabinet as I will just be using that for arcade now, and then maybe black for the sides.

Hopefully it might make second hand equipment look brand new or that is the hope. All of this is getting obsessive to be honest, if I could have afforded a cabinet I would have just brought that instead but sadly you find no empty NSM cabinets for restoration, so then you have to spend £650 odd and then pay for licensing, there are some hacked cabinets but they are still sky high in price.

I have also been looking at neon signs and other bits of bling. I wish I could win the lottery and then pay people to do it for me, if I could buy a place big enough, I would love to turn that into a bar with pool table and arcade and pinball machines maybe one day lol

Barcrest

All my arcade machines are gone.. Ah the bachelor life. Now i make do with the tablet. I am going to sell my video surfer I think, I just need to check it's still working. It does need a couple of new barrel locks as well, might just sell it as it is to free up some space, I have not had it turned in years mainly due to not having the wall bracket for it and so it's just sat int he garage. The tablet and bluetooth speaker do fine for me now.

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

Sex life or technology? I thank god they are making robotic sex dolls, best of both Worlds and none of the hassle lol

Mark Norville

Quote from: Mark Norville on September 13, 2016, 10:32:50 AM
I just found this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Chrome-Vinyl-Wrap-Silver-All-Sizes-/200973807896?var=500192405908&hash=item2ecaf8f118:g:CnkAAOxyBXNSWDdJ I am thinking about buying it to cover the front bezel of the monitor rather than having to go too tricky on creating a box and then having to route wood for t moulding.

Any thoughts on this? Would it look shit?

I just had this delivered lovely post man just posted it through the door even though it was round and long. However I have now listed this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112138441975?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 if anyone is interested.

If you don't want to bid just let me know and pay the postage/packaging and you can have it free of charge. I am now looking at different wrapping which is more expensive, but the colour of this did not suit what I wanted to do.

However it might suit someone else.

Regards

Mark

Mark Norville

Well after a nine day wait for the post office to delivery my graphics cards, I am much closer to finishing off my jukebox system.

Sadly not everything has gone as smooth as I was hoping, I have drilled about 20 holes in the wall literally messing up the brackets and hanging of the monitor.

I have now wrapped the monitor in silver chrome wrap, but too be honest it kind of looks crap as I have messed it up in places and despite supposed to be bubble free, I do have bubbles in it.

I would rip it off and start again but at £15.99 a roll, then I can live with it for a while.

If you are looking at wrapping a monitor, I tried to do mine all in one go, I covered the whole monitor and then cut out the screen while stuck, which was a hassle.

If I do start again, then I think that I would be looking at doing a side at a time, and joining up, it might get a better finish and be less hassle, and possibly less expensive.

I think that I am going to give up the idea of creating a box around the monitor as my walls are plasterboard and the frame gives way a bit with the weight, so makes it look a bit uneven.

I might take next week off just to get straight again, I have boxes every where at the moment and the mess is peeing me off.

Once the jukebox is up and running, then at least I can get back to skinning.

Regards

Mark

Norman Marshall

Were you using vinyl wrap to cover your bezel mark? the trick is once youve covered the face of the bezel you then heat it up with a hair dryer or electric paint stripper to soften it up so you can stretch it round very awkward corners and bends, its hard to do but once its mastered it looks really professonal, the guitar in the attached image is what i did and that cost about £1oo in wrap and 20+ attemps, im still not happy with it but it does look goodish, you also need two people to do it

Dear God, Please bring back Bob Marley, In return you can have Justin Bieber. Amen

Mark Norville

Nice job wrapping the guitar. I finally have the monitor on the wall although that is via luck more than anything, I could not get the other wall plugs to go deep enough so I thought sod it just give it a try with how I had it on the wall and it is actually holding.

However the wrap looks shit you can see the bubbles I am not happy with that, but the overall effect looks pretty good. I still have a bit left so I might try and tidy it up a bit as I know that will bug me if I don't.

I will take a picture later once the battery on my tablet has charged up a bit, I might even do a video just to show what not to do. I did open my mouth to one person on Youtube that done vinyl wrapping on a desk, and I said ha I can do better, sadly I done a lot worse so humble pie time lol

I have my GTX 610 in the jukebox case which is pretty good as I thought that I needed a more power supply (240 watts) but still need to put in the sound card yet and a new hard drive, so hopefully I will have enough power as I was looking at a new case and power supply.

I am still doing pretty good though as got the computer for nothing with saying I wanted to send it back, so from £36 I got it for £0, graphics card was £23 which was high as I only paid £20 for a 710.

All in all less that £250 for a 32 inch touch screen jukebox, not bad going really.

Regards

Mark

Mark Norville

I just done this video, as you can see the idea was there, but I messed up so will be ripped off at some stage still just glad to have it almost up and running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxqILIiS4KA