Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

60 or 120 gig ssd

Started by Mark Norville, February 20, 2017, 11:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Norville

Hi Guys,

I was going to buy a 120 gig ssd for my jukebox, but the one that I wanted which was £45 is now out of stock, I had a look at kingdian 120 gig for the same price. Yet a 60 gig is £25.

Any thoughts about using a 60 gig for a jukebox I do not think that I would want to do much else so I am tempted.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

If your board supports RAID get 2 60gigs and raid them for even quicker speeds. The board i brought to do this said it supported raid but when it came it didn't, i should have returned it was too much of PITA so I just used the one SSD as the boot drive.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

I am not that worried about speed really, I was going to buy to Sandisk SSD 120 gigs, but they went out of stock with Amazon, so https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019WAWYH0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13TBMLBUZSVGS is cheap and cheerful and affordable so I can get my jukebox and gaming PC up and running.

The 60 gig I thinking windows 7, etouch, and then gimp so can carry on skinning for that resolution.

I would be tempted for a 60 gig in the arcade, but I think 120 would be needed.

I just want them running really as eye test next month, so might have to buy some glasses unless I plonk for NHS specs, either way I will look a dick just fancy something stylish if I have to wear them.

Pay day tomorrow so already burning a hole in my pocket.
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

berrywell

Hi Mark,

Personally, I would hold out for the 120GB disk, that little bit of extra space is a piece of mind.
By the time you've got the 60GB formatted you'll probably only have around 50GB left for use.

Regards

Tel.

Mark Norville

I don't really need that much space really apart from a skin and etouch, I cannot see what else I would have on there, the rate that these 60 gigs are going I might have to order 2 120 gigs anyway as I just want them all set up now.

I just hate leaving myself skint all the time, but I cannot rest until I am back operational

Mark Norville

Yeah it will definitely be a 120 gig one now, I just checked my home cinema PC and that is near enough 60 gigs and I hardly have anything installed on this. unless it is something to do with the plex server.

Well ok has to be 2 x 120 gig after all the 60 has now sold out from prime :(

Barcrest

If you raid 2 60gbs they will give you a 120gb partition with increased speed just more risk that if one goes the whole partition is gone. Still worth it for just the O/S and E-touch.

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

I only have limited space for SATA's one space for OS and then the rest for storage. My jukebox machine used to be 6 sata's but I broke two so I only have four ports. I have a SATA card to enable four more, but too be honest, I found that when I used that I ended up having hard drive failure much faster than onboard sata.

At the moment I am running between 1 to 2 tb hard drives, but I am looking at upgrading those to 3 to 4 tb depending on how much money I have.

The juke is going to have one for albums, singles and music videos, even though I am still humming and arrring about karaoke as I never use it anyway, billy no mates me, but I still like collecting.

Mark Norville

Against my better judgement, I decided to buy two of these and make myself skint again https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GPNZE4W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All of the SanDisk SSD's are either sold out or gone through the roof on price from third party sellers. I decided upon these, mainly because the price was good at just under £40 and also the fact that there were 100 five star reviews, and only 8 1 star reviews out of 128.

The other SSD I was looking at was about £2 more expensive and had fewer reviews, so was reasonably a no brainer.

Delivery tomorrow to Amazon locker so jukebox up and running finally before the weekend.

Not looking forward to getting back to tagging and sorting MP3's but glutton for punishment.

berrywell

Hey Mark,

How's this project going? Are the SSD you've purchased any good, assuming you've took delivery of them already?

I've got an ageing PC that I'd like to chuck a cheap one in, just thought I'd ask what your initial impression is?

Barcrest

Every pc i have put an SSD in has improved in performance quite noticeably.

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

All delivered and installed in two PC's I did notice something last night that I was not happy with.

I will check later on at some point, but I was playing this morning as could not sleep, I got the arcade machine working, and I ran a system check

The new SSD was about 5.3 in Windows rating, yet one of my SanDisk drives is 7.3 so a massive 2% drop in terms of speed.

I will check my 120 sandisk and have a look at the other new hard drive and see if it is the same.

I cannot see it making that much of a difference but if you don't mind spending an extra £5 Sandisks are good.

I am messing around all weekend as the juke is 100% with 1 SSD and then 3 hard drives for storage, I want to increase the storage at a later date but it is operational for now.

Shall shut up here, as just woke up

Mark Norville

Just checked the jukebox and the hard drive in that is the same as the one that I brought for the jukebox and I am getting a massive difference

In Jukebox 7.4 for rating disc drive being 7.4

In Arcade 5.3 for rating disc drive

I will have to swap them around and see if one is buggered.

Barcrest

Quote from: Mark Norville on February 24, 2017, 12:33:55 PM
Just checked the jukebox and the hard drive in that is the same as the one that I brought for the jukebox and I am getting a massive difference

In Jukebox 7.4 for rating disc drive being 7.4

In Arcade 5.3 for rating disc drive

I will have to swap them around and see if one is buggered.

Could be the sata port you are using are they both sata III?

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

Yeah both using sata 3, but I noticed something weird earlier, I was 7.4 for ssd, then I done another refresh for system, and it went down to 7.2 I think it might be because they are a small make, rather than Sandisk, still they work so that is the main thing.

Only negative thing so far is trying to get everything back up and running once more, I am having to re teach myself every thing, including tagging as not done anything since before Christmas, and my memory is shocking.

I have so much crap every where, I am finding stuff I do not want and not finding what I do want. Frustrating.