News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

My (almost) Complete jukebox - UPDATE Finished!

Started by Drben, January 20, 2008, 08:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drben

Hi guys,

I have Recently finished building my first dedicated jukebox. I have a MAME machine also which I was using as a jukebox, but the mrs wasn't too keen on having it in the living area, and I wanted to be able to play games on it and listen to music at the same time, and so the jukebox was born.

It was originally going to be built to the plans from June and her husband, as my friend and I were both going to build one and seeing as neither of us had built a cabinet before getting plans seemed like a good idea. However, I had much different speakers to put into the cabinet than they used, and I didn't get any further than cutting out the side panels when I realised their plans would not work for me. So I used the side panels and just built it as I went to incorporate all of the components I had.

It's running a Celeron 2.2GHz with 1gb Ram, Windows XP and Freebox (only V2 at the mo but testing out V3)

As far as Speakers go I have 2 x 6" 80WRMS with 2 tweeters (all from jaycar.com.au)in ported enclosures built specifically to get the right volume. They're run by a DSE 2x80W amplifier.

Then there is a 10" subwoofer, which I got from dick smith electronics. I took the front off the sub enclosure and incorporated it into the front panel of my jukebox.

Just for flash factor I have 2 lots of 10 RGB leds run by an LEDWiz going to the music. They are either side of the marquee (I will have a frosted strip each side of the marquee sign for them to shine through)

There's only a couple of small things left to do. I need to get my marquee sign printed and install my LED marquee light as I've decided the flouro is overkill.Will probably make up a checker plate kick plate for the bottom and fit a grill to at least the subwoofer and maybe the speakers. (though I think they will look better without)

It's been painted in 2 pak car paint, which I would never do again, though I am happy with the finish. It's just it was so much work. Next time I think I would use Laminate.

Anyway here's a few pics :)

Barcrest

I think i saw this cab over on BYOAC. To be honest dude painting is much better than laminate for the final finish, looks cool anyway. I still have not painted mine.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

squirrellydw

I disagree, I think laminate is much nicer.  I laminated my cocktail table and it looks much better than any paint job I could do.
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

Barcrest

If you paint and sand and paint and sand you can get a finish that is so smooth like plastic almost. I have seen posts over on BYOAC where people have scrapped cabs and rebuilt them because they were not happy with laminate. I have not tried it myself and maybe it was a poor result due to errors on thier part. I am going to be spraying mine some point this year LOL.

Jukebox Stats...

squirrellydw

My guess is that they never used laminate before.  A friend of mine does kitchen remodeling so he told me everything that needs to be done to do it correctly.  Also it is much faster.  If you take the time and use the correct paint and sand it will look nice but most people I know don't take the time to do that.
Graphic creator of the original BnB, BnR, BnO and BnG Skin
Coffee is the man now

Drben

Yeah, I did take the time to paint and sand and paint and sand etc... That's why I am happy with the results. I have also used laminate before and found it much quicker and easier. It's also harder wearing than paint, but I think mine still looks much better than laminate. Just in the process of changing the hard drive to a 250Gb I had spare. Will give me much more space for video clips :D

Barcrest

Quote from: squirrellydw on January 21, 2008, 02:38:04 AM
My guess is that they never used laminate before.  A friend of mine does kitchen remodeling so he told me everything that needs to be done to do it correctly.  Also it is much faster.  If you take the time and use the correct paint and sand it will look nice but most people I know don't take the time to do that.

You including me in that? LOL.... As the paint is so expensive i might go the laminate route just to get the thing finished.

Jukebox Stats...

Drben

Well, it's finished for now anyway, until I decided what else to do with it! I finished it off like I said I would, with a bit of 3mm aluminium checker plate for the kick plate at the bottom, and a (somewhat unimaginative) sign at the top which I designed myself and got printed at a local sign place.

I'm very happy with how it turned out, but it took a while. (though it was finished a month ago and I was lazy in posting this..) I'm not 100% on the subwoofer grille, but it's better than nothing for now, and not sure about whether to put speaker grilles on still.

I might post a video of the LEDs going with the music (that's what the white panels are either side of the sign, so the LEDs shine through it.. but for now here's a photo :)

Barcrest

You forgot to post the pic...

Ignore that i can see the pic now...  ;D

Jukebox Stats...