Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Trying to make a skin not having luck

Started by Basho, March 26, 2017, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basho

Ok first I tried to use an already made skin. But I cant delete images I dont need. Or move the search Icon to the bottom left.
Then I tried to make a new one but it does not save in the skin folder. Also the main album area is to small for what I need tried to resize it but that didnt change much.
Im trying to get the search Icon in the bottom left hand side and a slider on the right. after that I think I should be moving along pretty good.

Any help or ideas would be great!

Mark Norville

I will leave this for Berrywell or myself for tomorrow, I am having the night off.

You need to copy the file you want to show up in your folder so radio.png and radio-new.png

right click on it, and make sure you save before you quit out.

If you don't save the skin it will not be there.

I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Mark Norville

Ok just woken up after falling asleep trying to watch the arrival.

Firstly do not worry about the main screen, you build up a skin by creating the other skins, the album view is the main screen that you need to skin for, that really is the main screen.

The icons that you see when you create a skin, are not really there, even though they are, but you need to replace those with your own icons, which you do right clicking what you see on screen and replacing with an icon that you want to use.

Any more questions will have to wait till Monday for me, as going back to sleep soon, and not on the office PC so don't have eTouch set up on this as no MP3's.

Also a final tip, if you can download a skin that has the slider such as black n blue, then you can see how it works. I would not look at touch genie pattern as it will just confuse the hell out of you.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Basho

Thanks for the responses. Sorry yea I'm working on the album view page. I got my icons to load and work in the midnight blue skin. As it was the best I could find for resolution. But I can't move the search down looks like I might need to use the pop-up page resize it then go back to the album view and change it. I'll try the other skin tomorrow. What all can be animated .gif files so far I tried a few buttons.

berrywell

Hi Basho,

You may have worked this out but I shall try and explain this a little for clarity.

The Search button is on a different page to the Albums,  The Search button is located on the Genre Selection Bar (Always On Menu) page and also on the Pop Up Menu Page (appears when the menu button is pressed). To have the search button on view all the time, like in the Midnight Blue skin, you need to use the Genre Selection Bar.

To move the Search button to the bottom left of the screen, you will need to resize & reposition the Genre Selection Bar page by enough so you can place the Search button in the bottom left of the screen.
Then you will also need to resize the Album page (probably narrow it up by at least the width of the Search button) and then reposition the Album page further to the right (or to the top), again by at least the amount of the search button. This is necessary so that the Search button can be seen when you load the skin into the Jukebox program.
You have to resize both pages otherwise you will just hide the search button behind the album page.

To resize the pages and reposition the pages, you will need to use the Tools window in the Skin Tool program.

I hope that has made a little sense and if not, please just ask :)

Basho

Thanks. Yea makes perfect sense. I was having a hard time figuring out all the layers. That need to be altered. Also I think to start from scratch I would have to create a folder in the skin directory to get started. A little above my skill set right now but always good to know in case I decided to go that way down the road.

My only other question is about animated .Gifs I assume they work on buttons and not backgrounds does this sound about right.

Mark Norville

Yep animated gifs only work in certain areas which are buttons.

If you create a blank skin, I found it easier to learn from that and then look at other skins for reference, learning from an existing skin was more difficult in my eyes.

Just on my first coffee but am here all week now

berrywell

Having looked into animated gifs files the other week, I've found they only work on certain pages, however none of the buttons can be animated.

Certain pages have a special tab for the animated gifs, which have their own special hard coded name, the full list is in the Skin Tool manual.

Quote from: Mark Norville on March 27, 2017, 09:25:13 AM
If you create a blank skin, I found it easier to learn from that and then look at other skins for reference, learning from an existing skin was more difficult in my eyes.

I totally agree with Mark on this, I found it so much easier to learn from making my own skin and simply using the other skins as reference when wasn't sure what to do.

Basho

Quote from: Mark Norville on March 27, 2017, 09:25:13 AM

Just on my first coffee but am here all week now

Thats kinda what Im thinking as well. Or maybe I just like to make things as hard as possible.

Good to hear you got some rest.

Basho

Quote from: berrywell on March 27, 2017, 10:34:56 AM
Having looked into animated gifs files the other week, I've found they only work on certain pages, however none of the buttons can be animated.

Certain pages have a special tab for the animated gifs, which have their own special hard coded name, the full list is in the Skin Tool manual.

Ill have to skim through the manual again and see what I can do. May use one of the animated .Gif files and put a non-animated button over top of it. But first I need to get the layout the way I want it and go from there.

Also Mark the theme you suggested looks alot like what I want for the slider but I can't access it so I'll have to put something together.

berrywell

The hard coded file names are on Page 12 of the Skintool Guide manual, personally I would keep this page handy to start with.

One point of note, the skintool guide states that the full screen backdrop when searching is hard coded as Page_Back.jpg , this appears to be a typing error as it's actually Page_Black.jpg (it doesn't have to black in colour, it just needs to be called that).

Basho

Ok im back at step one so to create a new skin.
1. open skin tool. pick cancel
2. type a name in the box. click up it the skin list area, Nothing happens. Hit new skin opens up the skin tool.
3. click save nothing saves it the skin folder. ive tried to change images, and still nothing.

Do I need to make a folder in the skin folder then add an images folder.

Mark Norville

Open skin tool (run as admin)
Click cancel to start new skin
Call it new skin or something
Save skin
Exit skin tool
Load eTouch (run as admin)
Goto appearance settings
Load new skin or something
Click on save jukebox
Exit jukebox
Load skin tool
Choose load default skin

Hey presto

Basho

still not giving me a folder in the E-touch jukebox 10/Skins
do I need to manual put a folder in there then direct the skin tool to it.

Mark Norville

Have you installed etouch outside of c:\program files and are you running as admin?