Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

Thanks but No Thanks

Started by jimwilks, June 04, 2017, 04:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimwilks

Folks:

I've been on a search for a good jukebox software for my touch screen PC.  I happened on Etouch and was very favourably impressed with it's huge list of features as well as it's continuing updates.

As mentioned elsewhere I was not so impressed with the Anti-Virus false positive warnings and the lack of proper documentation.

I was impressed with this forum and the helpfulness of it's members.

The dealbreaker for me was the total lack of this software to work with the Album Art I have in my mp3 files.  The many suggestions here were helpful, but a week later, I still have no Album Art.

I went to one of this program's competitors and in 15 minutes I had my whole 10K collection of mp3's up and playing complete with Album Art. 

I'll be ending my quest here and moving on with with them.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Jim

Mark Norville

Jim,

We are always pleased and willing to help, but you have to remember that it is a weekend, and a lot of people have family etc at like to spend weekends doing fun things. Well apart from me of course, but I take time off from the computer, to do other things.

However, I have brought almost every bit of software going, and being honest, I hated eTouch when I first tried it, I wanted to love it because of one of the skins.

I tried on version 7 or 8 and I gave up, walked away, brought other software, yet I came back on version 9, I gave it a proper go, I had the money and I thought sod it why not.

I have been here almost two years now, will be my 2 year anniversary on the 28th. I have not used the software that I bought since.

eTouch is really the closest that you can come to a pub jukebox, and for a very good price as well. I did come across one software that I bought for £50 but they wanted £50 every six months for updates, when they release one update in that time, just to get you to keep paying.

Yes eTouch is not the best for setting up, it does take some playing around with, but once you get the hang of it, then it does get a lot easier. I am not a skinner, but I have found the skintool on this, to be the easiest that I have found for any program.

Ok it is not perfect and still contains some bugs, but usually, they are worked out. The creator of this software, had a baby recently so he is still on nappy duty and spending time being a Dad, so he is not here as much as he used to be, but he is here usually Monday to Friday, and sometimes at the weekend.

I would say before you part with any money, keep an open mind.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

I equate it to using GIMP as opposed to MS Paint. Yeah MS Paint is easier but it doesn't do no where near as much, GIMP is more powerful but you need to go through a learning process.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

Quote from: Barcrest on June 05, 2017, 09:00:25 AM
I equate it to using GIMP as opposed to MS Paint. Yeah MS Paint is easier but it doesn't do no where near as much, GIMP is more powerful but you need to go through a learning process.

I think you are posting that on the wrong thread lol no one has mentioned paint packages here.

He was saying that he has no cover art in his folders, and did not want to go through the hassle of putting images into his folders like most normal people have.
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

berrywell

Quote from: jimwilks on June 04, 2017, 04:55:29 PM
The dealbreaker for me was the total lack of this software to work with the Album Art I have in my mp3 files.  The many suggestions here were helpful, but a week later, I still have no Album Art.
I hate to sound critical but after a week, you really should have had a decent proportion of your Album Art displaying in the E-Touch software. All you needed to do was place a copy of the album artwork into the album folder and tick display first image found in the 'appearance settings' of the jukebox app. (I suspect this may have already been pointed out to you).

Quote from: Barcrest on June 05, 2017, 09:00:25 AM
That's actually a great analogy Barry, I totally agree with you having used both graphical programs.

At the end of the day, with E-Touch you will get out of it what you're prepared to put into it, make that little bit of effort and you have one professional jukebox to rival any of the big commercial boys.

Mark Norville

Ah, he was using an analogy I get it now.

I guess it is the same as milking a cow and a bull, at least the bull has a smile on his face afterward.

Damm me for watching animal farm lol

Mark Norville

Ok I have to admit that I was curious because of this post, and I have found four software three of which I have purchased and one that I had thought about, however testing it today I realize how useless it is.

I am not naming the other software for obvious reasons, but here is my thoughts on them, and I shall save eTouch to last.

1) Is a great media center can add lots of features, however, forum support is lacking, the program seems to have stalled now, great price and reasonably stablish. However apart from changing graphics, not really skinnable, and pretty much is not a pub jukebox. SQL driven and of course like all software too much is bad at times.

2) A great looking program, however expensive and no lifetime membership, limited to singles and not albums, updates and bug fixes very rare, and usually it happens when your membership has run out, so if you want that bug fixed or an updated version, then you have to pay another £50. The newer version not skinnable, but can change graphics.

3) I had another look at this software today. It is quite cheap, it functions reasonably well. However, has all the same features as eTouch, however, the skins are all the same apart from change of graphics. I added my music collection and as far as I know, it all went on ok.

However, for the music videos, my library was lacking in tagging, which would mean I would have to retag a lot of them, which really is my fault as I can write an action on mp3 tag and include that.

The major downside for this software was not being able to skin it properly, otherwise, I might have been tempted. However, apart from one feature, all the rest is the same and probably less.

4) OK so now we on to eTouch, and I will start with the negatives and work towards the positives

As original poster has stated, set up is quite hard and is a steep learning curve, lacking in documentation. The fact that it cannot read from MP3 tagging is, of course, annoying, however, with some work then you can get your collection up to standard.

As an expirencedish user, still, a few annoying BUGS especially when it comes to skinning, to name two that has come up recently from both myself and Berrywell. Track listing and search screen, you can have any font that you want, as long as it is Arial.

It is fooking annoying, you want to create something special but are hindered by these bugs, which slows skin design down and in some respects stops it.

However on to the positives.

The skin tool is excellent, and the best and easiest skinning method that I have ever seen, and I am not a graphics person, but I can even create skins. The skins are not dependent upon this button has to go here, that button has to go there. You can really think outside of the box, and create anything, as long as the font is fooking arial. Sorry I had to get that one out of my system again.

If I wanted arial I could have a 3 sum and buy a box of washing powder and watch my little mermaid.

All the big features are there for a jukebox, such as charts, history etc. Yes ok small annoying niggly things such as 9 for history, once a month charts.

However, you can edit the charts as you see fit really, although yes that takes time and dedication.

The ability to cut out features that you do not want is another plus, and with a bit of experimentation with skin tool, then can edit and resize skins.

Although not the most polished diamond in the World, but it is the closest that you will get to a proper jukebox experience.

This is my honest review of all four decentish software on the market and I have spent over £100 on all of them, bar number 3.

As these are not competitors in the jukebox market, Kodi and so far I have only used Plex for movies, but I will be trying Plex for audio soon are the best free options, but again they are not jukebox software, they are media players.

If you have a dedicated jukebox, or touch screen monitor, then really you can play music on your phone, but the whole experience is the software that you use, and not just about playing music.

This is my hand on heart, honest review and I swear on my Nan and Grandad's, and my Dog's memory on that one.

Regards

Mark

Barcrest

Let me guess, Zenpoint, Jukeblaster (Or one of it's variants) and Touchtracks?
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

Mark Norville

I was not naming names, but yes all boring and lacking any depth.

Risim

He is free to have his opinion but as barry sais he just need to learn and when he does he will be itching to return.

I just google jukeblkaster and the have an app for volume control WTF!!!    :o  Does anyone know about if there is a third party app we can use like that?

Mark Norville

App on android I have not used it called pc volume control probably more out there as well

Regards

Mark