News:

Current Full E-Touch Version: 10.2.0
Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

CROSSFADE - SHOULD IT / DID IT EVER WORK?

Started by wwwombat, January 08, 2019, 02:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwwombat

CROSSFADE - SHOULD IT / DID IT EVER WORK?
I was messing around with this option (under QUEUE SETTINGS) and placing various values in the "REMAINING START" box. However the dropdown box next to it only has three options with "Jingle" in their name (I have NORMAL CROSSFADE FOR JINGLES selected).

I was assuming that this option would crossfade songs present on the queue as is available in most apps these days. Doesn't seem to work for audio; didn't really expect it to work for video.

I also removed my "newsong.txt" file from the TTS folder temporarily, in case this was affecting it but didn't seem to make any difference.

Does this / did this ever work or am I attempting to use this in an incorrect fashion?

kevinlpowercom

It used to work but it doesn't seem to in the new build.

Mark Norville

I believe that cross fade was working on the version that I have, which is 9.024. I do not have my jukeboxes running at the moment to try things for you.

I would suggest to remove he limit queue and lime same artist in queue. Give that a try, as the program is not that smart, if it has too less a tracks, some functions have been known to mess up.

Barry often does not find the same bugs as we have found in the past, as usually he is on a full jukebox, where as when I was bug testing for version 9, I would find loads of bugs as I was mainly testing it on a small build before going larger.

I would also increase the number where you have 3 in the yellow box. When I use cross fade in Kodi, mine is set to at least 15 seconds, 3 seconds is far too short and really it is not cross fading, the silence at the end can be 3 seconds.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

Like mark said try a larger value in the box. It should work for videos as well and cross fade them. I have it set on mine and it works fine.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...

wwwombat

Nope... still not working for me. For now, I've unchecked ALL boxes on the QUEUE SETTINGS page to be on the safe side.

Heeding your words, I set the crossfade "Remianing (sic) Start" value to 20.

Database (duplicated on both real and test PCs) is about 15,000 audio (all mp3), 7,000 video (mix of avi/mp4) and 2,500 karaoke (mp3/cdg) so I reckon we're okay for amount of files.

I use the crossfade on the same songs with SONOS app successfully and that only sounds like a coupla seconds overlay between the two which is what I desire.

But with E-Touch crossfade but I'm still not hearing it (even with a value of 20) - still sounds like one song finishes completely before the next starts.

The dropdown box is set to "Normal Crossfade.." as in my picture in the first post.

Haven't tried video yet, but don't expect to attempt to until audio is working.

As I said, I removed the TTS files in case they were interfering with the process when it announces the details at start of song.

Since you say yours is working, would there be any other options on any other page that might play into this (or some option within the media player itself)? Given kevinlpowercom's post, I assume you (Barry) always use the latest iteration of your own software on your main jukebox.

kevinlpowercom

Set mine to 15 seconds and still no crossfade.  Even reverted back to 10.1.7 but still no crossfade.

wwwombat

Thanks for that kevinlpowercom, to confirm I'm not going insane (I'm on E-Touch 10.1.6).

Did a little extra playing around....

I reckon this (Crossfading) is now an option you need to "turn on" (it appears deactivated by default) in WMP12 itself (not sure if it existed in earlier versions - never bothered to look for it - think it did but now maybe it's not as obvious as to where it is.)

Can you confirm what version of WMP exists on your system Barry (and your E-Touch version)? Obviously I'm hoping it's at least a WMP12 variant to compare "apples with apples". My laptop (test) version seems to be 12.0.17134.471 for reference.

Outside of E-Touch, and with WMP12 playing a MP3 song/playlist, you may already be on the NOW PLAYING screen. If not, then on the full window, click the VIEW menu tab at the top of the screen and then choose the NOW PLAYING option.

Now right-click anywhere on the NOW PLAYING screen and choose ENHANCEMENTS > CROSSFADING AND AUTO VOLUME LEVELING.

When you click the link to turn on Crossfading, you also get a slider bar that varies between 0 and 10 seconds of crossfade so I set mine to 10 just to hopefully easily identify if it was happening. Outside of E-Touch with just a standard playlist this seems to work although it's not as obvious sometimes as it is with my SONOS setup.

Still doesn't seem to make ANY difference within E-Touch though - not that I've noticed yet anyway. I'll keep playing my queued songs seeing if I can identify it happening there (I even tried raising the E-Touch Crossfade setting to a mad setting of 30.) Not sure how the E-Touch setting might conflict/interact with the WMP12 setting otherwise anyway - hopefully it's somehow not temporarily setting it "off" again.

(*NB* I might be back to look at the Volume Leveling option later since I already use a program (MP3GAIN) that analyses and writes that information into the MP3 tags for players to use - and that seems to work fine. I wonder how/if it would work for videos?)

Mark Norville

You need AAC gain to do music videos

You need to download aac gain, rename it to mp3 gain and then overwrite your old mp3 gain file, either that or just rename your mp3 gain file to something else.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

Barcrest

Set the jukebox to use a second screen and see if it works then....

I am thinking it is because you have it set to single screen.

Jukebox Stats...

kevinlpowercom

Barry, you are correct.  I switched from dual screen to single screen.  The crossfade works with dual screen checked, but the jukebox stops playing after a couple of songs if you are only using a single screen.  You can not get it to play again, though it is in random play or if you select something and it goes to the que. 

Barcrest

Quote from: kevinlpowercom on January 18, 2019, 11:20:24 PM
Barry, you are correct.  I switched from dual screen to single screen.  The crossfade works with dual screen checked, but the jukebox stops playing after a couple of songs if you are only using a single screen.  You can not get it to play again, though it is in random play or if you select something and it goes to the que.

Is it stopping playing because it is stuck looking for a song due to your random play settings? Try it with random play just set to audio only and see if it is ok then.

Jukebox Stats...

kevinlpowercom

Running with single screen, the random play works fine but the crossfade does not work.  If (still using a single screen) I put in a crossfade time and I check use second screen, the crossfade will work for two songs and just stop playing after the second song.  No song can be played again and nothing was changed in the random play settings.

Mark Norville

Just out of interest have you got the online mode turned on? Try turning that off, I have a feeling, that potentially it might be messing it up.

I am not 100% sure of this, but it would be something that I would try.

Regards

Mark

kevinlpowercom

Yes, I did have the online checked, I unchecked it but no difference.  In single screen, the random play works fine but the crossfade doesn't work and with second screen checked, the crossfade works for two songs and then Etouch just stops.

Mark Norville

I would say that something is wrong with the random play, the reason being is that it has to select a song which might be stored correctly or the program might not have enough time to select a song fast enough.

Try it without randomising tracks, that is like the online function really, as it is using more computer calculation than it actually has.

It is only a dumb visual basic script, and it has the brain of a five year old.

Regards

Mark