Current Demo E-Touch Version: 10.0.0
Current Beta: 10.2.1 Beta 22 (09/02/23)

Main Menu

TTS (TEXT TO SPEECH) BEHAVIOUR WHEN IT ENCOUNTERS PARENTHESES

Started by wwwombat, January 08, 2019, 02:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwwombat

TTS (TEXT TO SPEECH) BEHAVIOUR WHEN IT ENCOUNTERS PARENTHESES
For those that don't know, if you have the text-to-speech options available/enabled on your PC, then there's two files (newsong.txt and startup.txt) in the TTS subdirectory of ETouch that, respectively, activate whenever a new song is played and on jukebox startup.

Whenever I loan my jukebox out to one of my brothers for a party, he is not a fan of the start-of-song announcement so I get him to delete/rename newsong.txt (ideally it would be a checkbox option under ETouch) and reinstate it later.

Personally, for my use around home, I like it since I can easily hear the track details if I'm not familiar with the song and not standing directly in front of my jukebox.

I have noticed some interesting anomalies surrounding what it announces though depending on the presence and placement of parentheses () within the track title. Whilst I can't think of many track artists I have with parentheses in their name - Was (Not Was) being the only one I can think of at the moment - TTS WILL say the entire artist name.

However, with track titles, the following happens:-

• No parentheses : Full track title is spoken
  • Parentheses somewhere later in the track title : Only the bit before the parentheses is spoken
  • Parentheses exist at the start of the song (and there are loads of these!) : No track title at all is said - only the artist is announced i.e. "NOW PLAYING by TRACK ARTIST"

Is this the way it's supposed to work and is under your control? Any chance it CAN announce the bits in parentheses (at least for tracks that start with it) or possibly scan the remainder of the track title and say that?

i.e. If they're on your system and named in tis fashion, checkout some John Lennon songs like : "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" and "(Just Like)" Starting Over" to hear examples

Mark Norville

Wombat, You really need to ask one question at once. I have just woken up and it is 08:40 and there is about 20 plus threads from you. I thought that it was a spam bot to start with.

I enjoy a light read in the mornings, not war and peace, I will leave Barry to answer whatever questions you have, as I am not going through those lot.

Not even had a cup of coffee yet.

Regards

Mark
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

wwwombat

:) Have you never read any of my past posts?

You really need to ask one question at once

That's why I put them in separate threads... because no one would read them at all if they were in one post! You could go to my Bug Report 08/01/2018 (Post Of Posts) instead if you just want to read the topic headers in the hope they convey all the information you need.

I'm well aware how verbose I am... been accused of it all my life - probably not gonna change now (after 53-odd years) and take no affront at being classified as such. But my thoughts have always been to fully describe as best I can so we agree what we're looking at, and hopefully replicate the situation on your machine.

It's very easy to delete (if in email form) or not read something.

It was a slow day at work yesterday (can't get back into it yet after the Christmas break) and I know I probably should have posted them as I found them over the years. But I also wanted to find out/guess what lead to the issue. Believe me, I would have been more than happy if someone else had posted them or the bugs didn't exist at all.

So just consider them some light reading for lunchtime - personally my eyes don't even open until a couple of coffees and midday rolls around.

wwwombat

For Mark:

Etouch stuff doesn't work. Please fix.

Regards,

Wombat  ;)

Mark Norville

I am not the boss, Barry is. However, if and when people can help then we do. Posting that many threads all at once was a bit too much for people to go through.

I shall have a look at the link that you posted here, to see what it was.
I am now retired from the jukebox scene. I still visit from time to time and will help if I can, but apart from that. I am no longer a slave to downloading and tagging.

wwwombat

I hope you (and everyone else) realises I'm a sarcastic bastard and I'm just f.cking with you.

Just read one post a day if you feel overwhelmed.

None of them are critical really.

Although I'd really love your thoughts on the possible reason for some of my chart songs not being found so, if you only read one post from me today (apart from this one), then please read SOME SONGS ARE JUST NOT FOUND VIA CHARTS because it's effing my mind up.

Barcrest

This is a funny one, it should read both the same. My guess is I am stripping non Alphanumeric characters from each string differently so in theory should be an easy fix.
Keep on Rocking in the Free World \m/ ;D\m/

Jukebox Stats...